Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #2781
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
A better question might be...

"What the Hell was I thinking when I took on a 71 year old school bus?"
You were thinking of the challenge, and the achievement. Noble thoughts both.

Few things that are worth doing, are easy. People constantly ask me why I do Long Distance Motorcycling. They probably wouldn't understand if I explained, but I bet you would. Generally I tell them that I do it because it is a hard thing to do, and leave it at that.

Build Thread
Old 11-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #2782
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Applies to so many things...

"If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."
Old 11-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #2783
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
for me its about the journey... in fact im wierd.. I spend tons of time building something.. then I use it for awhile and its like "OK im bored.. time to build something else.."

ie long distance driving vs Flying - about the trip getting there.. if i just want to get someplace.. i can fly.. its quick and relatively pain free.. unless theres screaming kids on board... but Jack D and Bose headphones handle that well..
-Christopher
Old 11-11-2017, 06:23 PM   #2784
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
for me its about the journey... in fact im wierd.. I spend tons of time building something.. then I use it for awhile and its like "OK im bored.. time to build something else.."

ie long distance driving vs Flying - about the trip getting there.. if i just want to get someplace.. i can fly.. its quick and relatively pain free.. unless theres screaming kids on board... but Jack D and Bose headphones handle that well..
-Christopher
That’s exactly how I feel Cadillackid, it’s about the Damn Journey. No particular place to go. ( hey sounds like a lyric in a song) once I get there, I’m ready for a new journey !!!
Old 11-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #2785
Bus Geek

Life is a trip. So, enjoy the ride.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:00 PM   #2786
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Life is a trip. So, enjoy the ride.
Tango, you are a 125% correct.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #2787
Bus Geek

More tweaking on the brake system --- Had to make a dummy of the lower bellcrank in order to determine exact measures. Discovered in the process I needed to rearrange the rods & levers to have adequate clearance with the throttle mechanism. Back to the drawing board.

A little easier to work with hardboard than steel and it definitely helped get the exact measures right. The next (and hopefully last) will be very different than this.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #2788
Skoolie

Quote:
"What the Hell was I thinking when I took on a 71 year old school bus?"
Probably the same thing I was when I got married the first two times.

It's LOVE!

Old 11-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #2789
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Applies to so many things...

"If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."
"We choose to do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard." - JFK
Old 11-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #2790
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Hey man. Don't know if this is helpful or not? Ms it's a little more involved.
Have you or are you thinking about using bearings at the pivot points? I know you want to KISS it and I understand.
More time to fab but the main points would last a lot longer.
Less friction/resistance at those points. And you wouldn't have to worry about checking the bolts for wear and lock nuts backing out.
But then again the bearings are eventually going to wear?
Looking good and gloves,ball cap and a long sleeve can be your best friends but you gotta learn to work/live withem.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #2791
Bus Geek

JR --- we are using bronze bushings that should outlast the bus (and me). You are absolutely correct in that having brake linkage lock up/rust in place is not a good thing. Also the gloves and sleeves. I have a bad habit of jumping in and have ruined/set fire to some otherwise nice clothes cause I didn't stop to change. But it ususlly only bothers me when it's one of my vintage Hawaiian shirts.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #2792
Bus Geek

Back in the Doghouse --- Been working on trying to fit a doghouse over the back end of my engine and it has been a RPITA. Nothing about it is remotely square and getting really tight measurements has been difficult. Got three pieces cut today and will be back on it tomorrow as time allows. An 8th of an inch here and a 16th of an inch there make a big difference I have discovered.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #2793
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
make sure to leave thickness for INSULATION for your dog house.. my Red bus has no doghouse because its a V8 and the engine is set forward. . my DT360 is set up where the turbo is right near the doghouse.. its factory insulated but not nearly what aftermarket should be. so i get LOTS of heat off of it on hot summer days.. so be sure to insulated it well .. both for sound and heat..

-Christopher
Old 11-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #2794
Bus Geek

Absolutely. My turbo and downpipe are just a few inches off the doghouse so serious insulation is in the plans. I tried to head off as much as possible by ceramic coating the downpipe and adding heat shielding to both the turbo and the pipe.

Stainless downpipe is ceramic coated inside & out.

Then wrapped in the "Lava" heat wrap (NOTE: Wrapping pipes that are NOT stainless steel will greatly accelerate rusting!)

Over that are two radiant heat shields after which I blanketed the turbo.

The final barrier will be inside the doghouse. Still shopping materials for that and I am open to any recommendations.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #2795
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
[QUOTE=Tango;234400]Absolutely. My turbo and downpipe are just a few inches off the doghouse so serious insulation is in the plans. I tried to head off as much as possible by ceramic coating the downpipe and adding heat shielding to both the turbo and the pipe.

Stainless downpipe is ceramic coated inside & out.

Then wrapped in the "Lava" heat wrap (NOTE: Wrapping pipes that are NOT stainless steel will greatly accelerate rusting!)

The final barrier will be inside the doghouse. Still shopping materials for that and I am open to any recommendations.

"The final barrier will be inside the doghouse. Still shopping materials for that and I am open to any recommendations."

Tango I have an old Safari van with a doghouse. Not sure what it is made of though, it's light, fairly thick, maybe 1/4" and works well. I was driving it for a day or two without the doghouse on and the heat was unbearable in July. What a difference that material makes so maybe you could fab something from something like that. I wish I knew what it was made of but looks like aluminum colour. Should be lots of them in boneyards around.
Good luck,

John
Old 11-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #2796
Bus Geek

Thanks John, I will have to check that out. Some of the aftermarket stuff I have been looking at has a fibrous heat layer between a couple of sheets of metallic reflective material that sounds similar.

What year Safari?
Old 11-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #2797
Bus Crazy

Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
What year Safari? 1997 Pure metal, no composite materials. I'm sure you will know what will work anyway best for you Tango. Sounds like the least of your obstacles though.
I hope to take a ride someday in that beast with you so get it right, lmao!

John
Old 11-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #2798
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Absolutely. My turbo and downpipe are just a few inches off the doghouse so serious insulation is in the plans. I tried to head off as much as possible by ceramic coating the downpipe and adding heat shielding to both the turbo and the pipe.

I used to be a manufacturing engineer for a major player in the furniture industry, and one of my responsibilities was developing processes to reduce the flammability of our products. You can buy fire-resistant fiber that stands up to open flame for as long as you can hold a lighter to it. The fiber also has noise-reducing properties.

Every time I see someone discussing doghouse insulation I think of the following.....could you put down a couple layers of FR fiber (which is approx. 1/2" - 3/4" thick) over the motor, and against the inside of your doghouse, and then fill that void with closed-cell spray foam? How flammable is spray foam? In my scenario the FR fiber is only there to protect the spray foam, if spray foam is even usable.

The doghouse could even be built a little oversized to allow for more foam, to increase the noise-reducing potential. Then a 1/2" rubber gasket sandwiched between the bottom edge of the doghouse and the bus floor.

Just a thought.

Don

The Busted Flush
Old 11-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #2799
Bus Nut

In the past I have fabled up shapes using 2" foam board covered with fiberglass. Just reinforce mounting locations. It can be any shape and can have any coatings.
JMO
watching, reading, learning

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #2800
Bus Geek

Along similar lines, I had wondered about using a layer of something like Reflectix covered (on the heat side) with some hi temp, aluminum faced fiber type barrier. You can get that stuff rated to over 1000 degrees.
Closed Thread