Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 05:25 PM   #3001
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Funny you should mention Dan --- Spent the past couple of day routing brake lines while my much wiser helper sorted out the hydraulics. Happy to have the assistance of a "real" car builder on that stuff. Not the simplest task in the world trying to work up lines and fittings to mate a modern Corvette master cylinder to a heavy duty hydroboost that attaches to an Isuzu NPR gear box in a '46 Chevy school bus...all driven by a Cummins/Saginaw pump. He did say this combination was a first for him. A few fittings had to be custom made (two separate fittings welded together) but he said that sort of thing he does do routinely. Getting this part going is a big step forward.

The NPR gearbox is now hooked up.

The hydroboost is plumbed but we are still waiting to get the MC back and attach it.

Meanwhile...

I think I have finally found an air filter that will work with my "Big Rig" style airbox fantasy. The real big rig filters are the size of my engine so I had to sort out how to get some air into the motor with a little style. Big rigs use what is called a "reverse flow" filter meaning the air comes into the center of the filter first, then goes out the walls. Most cars & such flow the other way so I had to come up with a way to get the look I wanted but use a conventional flow filter.

Here is the 'plan". Lets just hope it works. The filter I ordered will be here tomorrow and should tell me what will and won't cooperate.

ONWARD!

Old 01-30-2018, 07:30 PM   #3002
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
lookin good to see brake lines !!!! ultimately the names of the components dont matter in the hot-rod world.. just function and capacity.. so using an NPR steering box with a saginaw pump is no issue as long as its a big enough pump to supply the volume of fluid at pressure to support both braking and steering at once then theres no issues.. saginaw made a bunch of pumps and definitely made them big enough to do what you are doing.. with a diesel you have the advantage of a much lower range in minimum to maximum RPM so you can fit a slightly smaller pulley to the pump to get good volume at lower RPMs.. gas engines have the issue of low idle and High max.. (causes us issues with A/C when running compressors close to their rated capacities..need enough cooling at idle but have to sustain max RPM).. having a pump larger than you expect your fluid volume to be is a good way to handle it.. I dont know the design of your components but ultimately names adont matter.. if it pumps fluid at correct pressure and volume then it will work..
-Christopher
Old 01-30-2018, 08:00 PM   #3003
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Fun to see it all coming together! Are you going to wrap the filter in polished stainless steel? How are you fabricating the rain cap? Jack
Old 01-30-2018, 08:09 PM   #3004
Bus Geek

Howdy Jack --- Roger the SS. And the rain cap will come from a "real" big rig can. Donaldson sells'em as well as lots of truck shops.

Cadillac --- The Cummins 4BT Saginaw is almost identical pressure and volume wise to what runs the Isuzu so I am hoping they play well together. And both the NPR and my rig have PS & PB.

Will be ordering a trans cooler here shortly. Looking at a Derale Hyper-Cool Extreme Remote. Too big for the engine bay so it's gotta go below...somewhere.

ONWARD!
Old 01-30-2018, 09:43 PM   #3005
Bus Geek

im all about remote trans coolers because you can control both too hot or too cold. by simply using the fan or not.. driving in the last Arctic wave we had (i was in the bus at -7 outside on the freeway).. my trans never got above 133 degrees which I understand is too cold for it.. I was told it wont hurt it overall but allison doesnt consider a trans even "warmed up" until 140 in the TCM programs.. my cooler is just my radiator loops. and in minus 7 on the freeway with every heater in the bus on maxx im guessing my thermostat was barely cracked open so the trans had dead cold coolant in the cooler.

a remote cooler isnt going to get much wind across it so you can probably simply control the trans temp with it's fan..
-Christopher
Old 01-30-2018, 09:59 PM   #3006
Bus Geek

Agreed. keeping the trans happy means keeping it comfy. Not too hot, not too cold. I like your idea of a bypass that is thermostatically controlled. Not sure I know how to pull that off just yet...but...I like the idea.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:04 PM   #3007
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Agreed. keeping the trans happy means keeping it comfy. Not too hot, not too cold. I like your idea of a bypass that is thermostatically controlled. Not sure I know how to pull that off just yet...but...I like the idea.
Tango,

A little bit of Bondo, some paint, and voila - instant happy transmission temperature! Anything can be fixed with Bondo, right?

M
Old 01-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #3008
Bus Geek

And if Bondo doesn't do the job...there's always JB Weld!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:08 PM   #3009
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
AMEN!!!!

M
Old 01-31-2018, 01:07 AM   #3010
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Meanwhile...

I think I have finally found an air filter that will work with my "Big Rig" style airbox fantasy. The real big rig filters are the size of my engine so I had to sort out how to get some air into the motor with a little style. Big rigs use what is called a "reverse flow" filter meaning the air comes into the center of the filter first, then goes out the walls. Most cars & such flow the other way so I had to come up with a way to get the look I wanted but use a conventional flow filter.

Here is the 'plan". Lets just hope it works. The filter I ordered will be here tomorrow and should tell me what will and won't cooperate.

ONWARD!
I dig it. That's what was floating around in my head, just not as gifted an artist as you Tango.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:27 AM   #3011
Bus Geek

Quote:

there are cooler line bypasses valve made out there.. I was simply thinking if you are using a remote mounted trans cooler that it wont get much wind and will require a fan.. which its super easy to have a fan thats thermostatically controlled, so the cooler wouldnt do much cooling in cold weather while its fan is off.. that wouldnt involve any wierd piping..

the cooler line fittings on the allison SAE bell are #12 O-ring Boss. (not #10 like the internet world seems to say).. #10 Hose is the norm and quite OK.. but the fittings going into the trans are #12.. took me a couple tries to get that one right..

the one time a local grainger was my friend..

-Christopher
Old 01-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #3012
Bus Geek

Guido --- Thanks. Just hoping the final product works.

Cadillac --- The Derale cooler I am looking at (below) does have a high volume fan which should be easy to control thermostatically. Still uncertain about the fittings going in & out of the trans. I believe the 5th gen have 7/8" ports but I'm trying to confirm. Since the trans is full of expensive Transynd fluid, I am hoping to get confirmation without pulling the plastic plugs before I'm ready to hook it up.

https://derale.com/products/fluid-coolers/engine/remote-mount/gm-700r4-4l60-4l60e-transmission-cooling-pan-detail
Old 01-31-2018, 07:03 PM   #3013
Bus Nut

Quote:
What about duct tape. Lol

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2018, 07:16 PM   #3014
Bus Geek

Quote:
Guido --- Thanks. Just hoping the final product works.

Cadillac --- The Derale cooler I am looking at (below) does have a high volume fan which should be easy to control thermostatically. Still uncertain about the fittings going in & out of the trans. I believe the 5th gen have 7/8" ports but I'm trying to confirm. Since the trans is full of expensive Transynd fluid, I am hoping to get confirmation without pulling the plastic plugs before I'm ready to hook it up.

https://derale.com/products/fluid-coolers/engine/remote-mount/gm-700r4-4l60-4l60e-transmission-cooling-pan-detail
wow the trans is already filled? definitely catch that fluid if it comes out!!

yeah mine was 1 1/6 (#12) ORB. that I came out and went to a 7/8" JIC fitting (hydraulic) for the cooler lines.. and I was told thait acceptable for the allison 1000/2000. its larger than what the GMC or SAE2 bell is (im told)... that cooler has 7/8 ORB fittings on it so that mate up well with your lines even if you need to adapt down from #12. im thinking going all the way down to #6 hose (the barb they have on the cooler) seems a bit small...

this is the fitting I used..

https://www.grainger.com/product/4VTH6

nice derale cooler.. im a big fan of derale products.. seems like their stuff it top notch and works well.. for electric fans I do tend to go with SPAL as I get more performance for the size..

-Christopher
Old 01-31-2018, 07:16 PM   #3015
Bus Geek

Gotta love Duct Tape. Hey...it got the Appollo 13 guys back to Earth alive!
Old 01-31-2018, 08:11 PM   #3016
Bus Geek

did you know standard duct tape is good for everything EXCEPT ducts?
Old 01-31-2018, 08:12 PM   #3017
Bus Geek

And "DUCK" tape is really bad on ducks.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:18 PM   #3018
Bus Geek

Quote:
And "DUCK" tape is really bad on ducks.

I never had a need to tape a duck.. must be lots of people who do since I see 'Duck' tape quite a bit
Old 01-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #3019
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I never had a need to tape a duck.. must be lots of people who do since I see 'Duck' tape quite a bit
Yeah, because "Duck" is a brand

In the UK we call vacuum cleaners, "Hoovers", for the same reason.

People here look at me funny when I say it!

Build Thread
Old 01-31-2018, 08:28 PM   #3020
Bus Geek

just like Kleenex.. we always called it. that and its actually a brand
Closed Thread