Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #3721
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Bent stuff put in place --- Managed to tack the right rear corner of the roof rack in place today...Thanks! Had to do without turkey today. Won't be having any for a day or so (Damn! my most favorite meal of the year!). VA hospital has me scheduled for some work in the morning and I can't eat anything until after they are done drilling holes in my chest. Hope to get caught up on excess calories soon though.

But...I did spend part of today mounting one corner of the roof rack iron.

Only the first of three, but it fit quite nicely. Just hope the others cooperate at least half as well. Really liking all the rounded corners.

ONWARD!

Old 11-23-2018, 07:52 AM   #3722
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
wow!! i totally love the rounder look at the top.. sure fits the look of that classic bus vs a standard square deck. always nice when you have a part fabbed and it just bolts in like you imagine it would without having to mod it!
-Christopher
Old 11-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #3723
Bus Geek

Absolutely Cadillac --- Gotta love it when a supplier not only does what you PAID them to do... but does an excellent job of it!

Hmmmmm. Just realized how sad the above statement really is. Like so many folks, I have come to accept that no matter what you pay...you will probably receive crap in return!

But...mighty nice to get good work when you do!
Old 12-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #3724
Bus Geek

Mo Metal --- Got the ladder rails partially welded up yesterday.

Made it separate so it can be unbolted from the roof rack. I'll begin making steps for it shortly. Also thinking about adding raised hand rails (?). We'll see.

The ladder and entire roof rack still need to come off for final welding & painting on the underside of everything.

That should be interesting. As well as require at least four, strong men.

ONWARD!
Old 12-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #3725
Bus Geek

Weld, weld, weld.

Started putting the front bow together for the roof rack. This piece was a bit trickier than some of the others. Still a bit more to do on it but won't really know how/if it fits until I can get a helper over to lend a hand with trying to jockey it in place. Hopefully without breaking the windshield.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #3726
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Don't you just love playing with the sun (welding)--I do! Jack

P.S. I am sending you a PM. Thanks, Jack
Old 12-03-2018, 12:06 AM   #3727
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Tango- I might be able to come lend a hand tomorrow afternoon, or later this week. I have some AC vent bits for you, too.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #3728
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- Yes. The idea of being able to magically melt steel together does hold a lot of appeal. And every so often, if I am lucky enough to lay down a neat little "stack o' dimes"...even better! While I really enjoy doing it, I will never refer to myself as a "welder". I have far too much respect for the trade to ever claim such a title.

Hey Guido --- Super! Lemme know if you happen to be in the neighborhood. That thing isn't heavy...just unwieldy. Will finish the other welding on it today so it should be ready to hang anytime after that. My shop buddy may also be around in the next day or so...so if I get it in place before I see you I'll let you know. That said, you are always welcome to drop by.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #3729
Bus Geek

Rack'em Up! --- Got the front bow of the roof rack tacked in place today. Was a bit tricky but I somehow managed to do it without breaking the windshield!

I can now start fretting over how to take the whole thing down so I can finish welding & paint the underside of it all.

This...should be interesting.

ONWARD!
Old 12-04-2018, 11:22 PM   #3730
Almost There

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International CE200
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Just curious...anyone familiar with the little (very Chinese) diesel heater below?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JNMB8ZH...b-571f7e12ada0

Just discovered your build thread. Fantastic work!

I have one of these heaters on order. There is a VERY active Facebook group "Chinese Diesel Vehicle air heaters".
Most people have no issues with the heaters. A small percentage of people seem to have issues with massive build up of soot in the burn chamber (or whatever that is called). Good news is, the passwords to make setting changes are known, so fuel feed rates can be tweaked if needed.

After spending a good amount of time reading about them, I was pretty comfortable ordering one.

If I get it installed and working I'll post some experiences

Bas
Old 12-04-2018, 11:32 PM   #3731
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Hoops on the roof rack look good Tango.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #3732
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
lovin that roof rack!! the curves are perfect!! gonna look great!!! are the rafters in your building strong where you can rig up a pulley system?
-Christopher
Old 12-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #3733
Bus Geek

Thanks All...

Bas...Would love to hear your take on that little heater. Good luck with it.

Guido...turned out to be a piece of cake to install. I had tacked some square tube inside the rectangular tube to use for positioning but still expected I would have to do a fair amount of torqing on each end the big piece for it to fall in place. Not at all. I stood in the middle of the cowl and it slid right on like it was made to do it!

Caddie...not worried about the rafters as the whole rack only weighs a little over 100 pounds (metal only). In fact, I will probably try and move it without going to the roof. If I can get a guy on each corner with a short pole attached to it, I am pretty sure we can lift and maneuver it pretty easily.

Well...I am HOPING we can anyway.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:38 PM   #3734
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by brijn View Post
Just discovered your build thread. Fantastic work!

I have one of these heaters on order. There is a VERY active Facebook group "Chinese Diesel Vehicle air heaters".
Most people have no issues with the heaters. A small percentage of people seem to have issues with massive build up of soot in the burn chamber (or whatever that is called). Good news is, the passwords to make setting changes are known, so fuel feed rates can be tweaked if needed.

After spending a good amount of time reading about them, I was pretty comfortable ordering one.

If I get it installed and working I'll post some experiences

Bas
My 2 pennies.

We have a Planar 44d, might be similar if not the same as the China ones. 4lkw, about 14,000 btu. Very thrifty on fuel but these too may soot up if run long time at low heat. I recently cleaned ours, it was belching white, nasty smelling smoke.
Cleaning is not hard and I've found that partial disassembly is enough with no parts/gaskets needed if done with reasonable care. I use some kerosene and blow it dry after.
It is good to run it wide open for 1/2 hour before shutting it down to minimize the build up.
We run ours all night often at low (18c) setting to keep the chill off and crank it up in the morning as long as we can stand it. Even then it cokes up occasionally (twice in 4 years).I'm going to start cleaning it every summer from now on.
Now I'm off to FB to read some heater posts.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #3735
Bus Geek

Good info 2kool...thank you. Doesn't sound too bad actually. Everything requires some kind of maintenance...right?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #3736
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: sturdivan
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3l IDI
Rated Cap: 10,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by brijn View Post
Good news is, the passwords to make setting changes are known, so fuel feed rates can be tweaked if needed.

so what are the passwords, there is more than one?
Is there any other technical data on these things. They sound like they might be good for the short bus.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #3737
Almost There

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International CE200
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Good info 2kool...thank you. Doesn't sound too bad actually. Everything requires some kind of maintenance...right?

Tango, to not sidetrack this fantastic build thread I thought it would be wise to split this off in a separate thread:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f51/th...ead-25109.html

Bas
Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 PM   #3738
Bus Geek

Not much to report. Mostly just bored.

We are under (yet another) flash flood advisory (Welcome to Houston!). And anytime a cloud goes over, my satellite TV goes away. Lotta good it does if you are trying to keep up with storms!

Had a really nasty cold the past few days but did manage to get a few more pieces of the roof rack in place. Very close to taking it down. Hopefully next week.

Like I said...just bored! I need to be working!
Old 12-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #3739
Bus Geek

Just a couple of more ladder pix --- Been slowed down by some health issues that have had me spending way too much of my "bus time" out at the local VA hospital the past couple of months. Apparently, I did such a swell job of beating stage four cancer seven years ago...they want to see if I can do it again.

Sucks. I have better things to do with my time.

At least this time they are installing a "port" for the chemo. Good thing 'cause all my veins are still trashed from the last go round. Will be getting the new parts put in tomorrow morning. Yippee. Not exactly what I was hoping for for Christmas.

Meanwhile...

Got the steps back from the sheetmetal shop and put them on today.

Just 10 gauge steel diamond plate with a 3/4" fold around the edges. Plenty stout.

I can now begin taking the ladder & deck down to complete welding the undersides and throw some paint on.

ONWARD!
Old 12-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #3740
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Really sorry to hear of your medical setback Tango.

That sucks anytime of the year, not just Xmas.

Be a good patient and hope you are home for Xmas.
Take some time to appreciate your outstanding accomplishments bro!
You have brought that baby a long way back!Incredible undertaking man!

The work will still be waiting but take care of yourself first.
The ladder looks really good with the steps.
Prayers and blessings to you for a speedy recovery and do have a Merry Xmas.

John