Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #1

86 Chevy Bus QueSUV bstions

So All I have is The odometer read 47xxx but it’s gotta be like 147 or 247 (her quote), and that it needs rear brake work and this picture...

What all should I look for... from reading on here looks like it should be a 5.7 engine (what should I expect mpg wise), not sure exactly where to check on the floor, drum brakes (any howtos?).. They are asking $1500 *thoughts on price?*

My needs- I've been scrapping a decent bit (hauling about 1-1.5 ton with our Lambda platform & trailer) and have been debating between a truck/ box truck/ school bus/ or trailer... part of me is wondering about the school bus and use it as my transport for a bit with trailer... and then make it into an actual RV situation.... I'm still in college so trying to figure out the best of all worlds
(does it take a regular K/ hitch on the rear? if one is not there?)

Thanks for the thoughts

saturinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturinin View Post
So All I have is The odometer read 47xxx but it’s gotta be like 147 or 247 (her quote), and that it needs rear brake work and this picture...

What all should I look for... from reading on here looks like it should be a 5.7 engine (what should I expect mpg wise), not sure exactly where to check on the floor, drum brakes (any howtos?).. They are asking $1500 *thoughts on price?*

My needs- I've been scrapping a decent bit (hauling about 1-1.5 ton with our Lambda platform & trailer) and have been debating between a truck/ box truck/ school bus/ or trailer... part of me is wondering about the school bus and use it as my transport for a bit with trailer... and then make it into an actual RV situation.... I'm still in college so trying to figure out the best of all worlds
(does it take a regular K/ hitch on the rear? if one is not there?)

Thanks for the thoughts
I would start by asking a LOT of questions about the conversion as it was done. I would want to know whether that laminate? was installed over the old plywood or if it was taken up to check for/treat any rust below. I'd also want to know if any sort of insulation was added below the flooring. It's hard to see much in the image you shared, so I can't tell whether the ceiling or wall panels were even touched. Taking out the ceiling and walls is a must, in my opinion, because you can check for leaks or evidence of old leaks and, obviously, upgrade the insulation.

You say that it's expected to have a 5.7 Engine, but you don't mention if it's diesel or gas or whether this was a Ford or GM platform (that may be obvious to wrenches or more knowledgeable people than me). I would also want to know whether regular maintenance has been done and whether there have been any major repairs. I'd also be somewhat concerned about the fact that the mileage is just a guess. I'm sure others will be chiming in with their recommendations, but that's where I'd start.
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote