Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Big thing if trying to run A/C off solar or batteries. is INSULATE.. . and block off space you dont need.. a mini split is an efficient system. but still on full blast may pull 1000 watts.. which is a lot of Juice unless you are one of the few here running PRIUS or Volt battery packs that pack a good punch..

getting your minisplit to run at 80% or less of its rated capacity nets you the highest efficiency..

if you are installing a system with the intentions of leaving a pet unattended for long periods of time.. ie you are at work and dog is in the bus.. then please install some time of remote monitor alarm or such that can alert you should something fail and the inside temperature goes up..

unlike a house, the inside of your bus is going to heat up very quickly should a breaker trip, A/C bust, batteries go dead, etc..

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Air conditioned storage unit big enough to park in for a few months?

or

Idle the bus and have a big inverter (2 or 3 thousand watts i'd imagine) to power a nice sized air conditioner AND a remote monitoring system in case bus dies/etc

or

hate to state the obvious, I realize your work is not mobile, but drive north?

or

dude tell your boss your gonna quit if you can't bring your dog in during the summer, I mean I get if it's a health code thing (like working in a restaurant for example) but there's no reason he cant chill in your office or whatever with you assuming he's well behaved. it's well documented to improve overall employee moral - not just for you either for everyone there

Also, in regards to the very real potential for mechanical failure while your gone (thereby making the AC turn off) you can install a backup generator to fire up when it reads your battery bank voltage going below a certain threshold. I've never done it, but I know its a thing.

oh yeah, get a generator too, just plug the AC into that. make sure its a gen that can continuously operate, many of the cheaper ones have limited run times.
superbusWI is offline   Reply With Quote