Old 09-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: P-30
Engine: GM6.5
Rated Cap: 28
Re: Altering a ceiling/roof.

Yes on the road limits... My wife and I just did a loop through crater lake, and the Newbury Volcanic park in Oregon... Both parls had roads limited to 22' or less.. On the bus. look at Bluedirds, older p-30, (usually around 26 pass), and newer versions... We built one this year!
Wooftfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
r_w
Skoolie

Yikes, my van (standard 15 passenger e350) with the cargo carrier on the back is right at that limit! Probably over by a couple inches if pressed. They really want to keep all RV's off those roads--which makes sense for weight but...

If you are really talented, you can build a small flatnose that slides UP. Go down the road at normal height or slightly taller, then lift the whole roof when parked to be a loft.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
That is actually part of the POI Mega File from Laptop GPS World. It is a vast collection of POI's for various GPS systems that is updated twice a year (freeee!). Mine is used on the recently orphaned MS Streets & Trips (updated to 2013).

Our bus is well under 12 ft and we don't have anything on our roof. Even the black tank vent is about even with the high point of the roof. I do need to measure to get an accurate height to stick on the sun visor. The POI does not include a low bridge in Cleveland, TN (sign and way for truckers to detour around the trestle) so I have to wonder about other places (I know of three all total that are not on the POI but one is to a private neighbourhood, no place for camping). We prefer to run the US and other primary highways as opposed to interstates where possible. The skoolies excel on those types of rural roads since that is what they were designed for, not screaming down the super slabs. We just have to share the road with the truckers who have re-discovered that the old "pre-interstate" routes save them time, fuel and is less tiring on them. The same things we have learned thru actual experience.
Wow, thanks alot for that link--should be super helpful when planning out our routes. Also thanks for the advice about sticking to the highways rather than the interstates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooftfd
Yes on the road limits... My wife and I just did a loop through crater lake, and the Newbury Volcanic park in Oregon... Both parls had roads limited to 22' or less.. On the bus. look at Bluedirds, older p-30, (usually around 26 pass), and newer versions... We built one this year!
Good to know. Haven't really traveled a lot before this so we didn't realize that roads with official length restrictions were a thing. That said, we're going to be doing the conversion up at my in-laws' (Mitzy's parents) ranch, and the private road leading up to the property is narrow and twisty enough that getting a full sized bus up there would be impossible. It's basically a bunch of sharp turns going along a cliff, so we're well aware of some of the practical length limits we'll be dealing with.

26 passenger is about the size we were looking at, so I guess we'll stick with that for now and see what we can find. Definitely been impressed with the Bluebird models so far, and heard some good things about them as far as sturdiness and reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_w
Yikes, my van (standard 15 passenger e350) with the cargo carrier on the back is right at that limit! Probably over by a couple inches if pressed. They really want to keep all RV's off those roads--which makes sense for weight but...

If you are really talented, you can build a small flatnose that slides UP. Go down the road at normal height or slightly taller, then lift the whole roof when parked to be a loft.
That was another thing we were thinking about, though we'd prefer to have a fixed loft so we could include bedside shelving for books and whatnot. My wife and I are both pretty avid readers, and paring down the collection is going to be hard enough as it is.

Our Skoolie Blog- http://twowandererstale.blogspot.com/
Twowander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #14
r_w
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twowander
That was another thing we were thinking about, though we'd prefer to have a fixed loft so we could include bedside shelving for books and whatnot. My wife and I are both pretty avid readers, and paring down the collection is going to be hard enough as it is.
Kindle Or keep the books LOW as ballast.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_w
Quote:
Pardon my 2 cents, but Kindle is a poor replacement for actual books--especially when living in a Skoolie/RV where your supply of electricity is finite. That, and it wouldn't help with any of the other reasons we'd like to have bedside shelving. Storage space is at a premium with designs like this, and every extra bit helps.

Keeping the heavier items low is a good idea though, should help with balance and reduce the chances of tipping over.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_w
Quote:
But I dropped my tablet and broke the screen. Can't afford to replace it yet because I was STUPID and forgot to buy the bloody insurance.

I've never broken a book.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #17

[quote=Das Mel]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "r_w":2eo6suay
Quote:
But I dropped my tablet and broke the screen. Can't afford to replace it yet because I was STUPID and forgot to buy the bloody insurance.

I've never broken a book.[/quote:2eo6suay]

Not just that, but why pay all that money for a reader and digital copies of books I already own? Shelves are a lot cheaper. We're going to be dumping thousands into this project already, no need to make it any worse.

Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the books in our collection aren't available in e-book format.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I dumped most of my books over the years leading up to leaving NC. I have a Kindle paperwhite. I do miss the ability to read other stuff, read at night in the dark (but not in the sun that I can do now), the colour and internet I had with the Pandigital ereader I had. That said, it was a $40 ereader and I might get another CHEAP internet reader (I love Cowboom). I did keep my leatherbound books. I have some hard copy reference books as well. SO I am not completely digital. I get freebie Kindle books (daily email) via www.ereaderiq.com which saves me LOTS of money. I also get lots of recipe books this way too. Very handy. No it is not the same as reading a hard copy "real" book. But now I can carry hundreds of books in my hip pocket.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #19
r_w
Skoolie

I didn't mean it was a 100% either/or solution. There are books that I will always want as books, but the kindle gives me access to all kinds of old classics and reference materials that simply are not available in print. I have been collecting free ebooks for a LOT longer than I have had a reader.