Old 02-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Any and all advice welcome on my 96 Bluebird short bus

I'll give you advice: dont put into it more than you will get out of it.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: Big Block

Well sounds like solid advice. I'll put up pictures soon and let you know what I decide. Thanks
MissJaneStrummor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

the beginning stages
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bus seat cutt.JPG (1.95 MB, 1664 views)
File Type: jpg bus without the seats.JPG (1.62 MB, 1662 views)
Old 02-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

tried to upload a picture of the outside of the bus and the bare metal floors after the plywood was ripped up, but it seems they are both too big, going to have to wait until I can figure out how to make them smaller. But there she is so far, my beauty Onye.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 16

Something else to think about in the pull the metal down and reinsulate from scratch idea. more than one member here has done this and found mold in the original insulation.

That's why I'm going to do it.
orangepeel91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

I can't recall ever seeing an older unit that came with batting that didn't have mold. Just a question of how much. And some are reeeaally nasty. It seems to hold moisture like a sponge. And not just from leaks...condensation can be a real moisture maker. The spray in foam is indeed a chore, but nothing else comes close as far as insulation value whether yer shivering in Saskatchewan or toasting in Terlingua. Lots of easier ways, none better that I know of.

That said...I'll be using lots of HyTech beads and fairly thin sheet foam. Then too...I don't want to ever stay anywhere that isn't at least semi-tropical for very long.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Well, it has bee a couple of weeks, since then I finished sanding down the floor, cleaned it was some heavy duty rust cleaner, and applied the POR-15 paint. Then sealed up the holes left from little nails and the bus seats with silicone and aluminum tape. Then I cut and glued down 1/2 inch think foam boards for insulation. I will be putting down heavy plastic as a moisture barrier with staples or glue and then plywood on top. Once the floor is finished, until I decide what will go on top, I will be taping plastic up on the windows and I think I am going to strip the ceiling panels off and insulate and do the electrical. It is all moving along, and now that the weather is finally staring to warm up I think it will be faster going. I am not sure how I will be mounting the wood to the steel frame of the ceiling though, any ideas? and also, I have decided on a 1500 to 2300 watt power invertor, does anyone have a brand recommendation or thoughts on the matter. Thanks again for the input, been reading a lot the the tutorials which have helped tremendously. Good luck to everyone.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IHC
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 48

There is a screw meant specifically for attaching wood to metal. It has a self tapping point and a wafer style head that takes a Robertson style screwdriver [square]. Check out your local bolt supply warehouse. There is three of these businesses in Red Deer, pop. 90,000 .
alwaysFlOoReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Yup, fine thread self taping metal screws. They come in many different heads, some like deck screws, or 5/16 bolt head. If your not needing a flush, counter sunk head, I recommend the bolt head ones for much easier driving. Also use a magnetic driver bit to avoid much frustration. Most hardware stores have them. Bigger sizes run almost $1 each.

Vapor barrier plastic go's just under your finished flooring. No need for staples, gravity will hold it down. Seal the seams with acoustical sealant.

What will you be using for a finished flooring?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

I took some of the panles held in by srews off, and found no mold, and even better it was in great shape, decided not to rip out the ceiling or walls. I have the plywood flooring all nailed down, with the insulation foam board underneath and a plastic vapor barrier. Now I am looking at power inverters and and electrical systems. I've read a few posts mentioning, smaller inverters (1000w) and using several of them for different hook ups, and others say buy a bigger one (3000w) and just use the one. I will have a mini fridge/freezer that I will only run a few hours of the day, about 5 outlets for lamps, a computer laptop (charging a few hours a day, a juicer and a few other small appliances. any suggestions of which brand or size of inverter to purchase?? Thanks everyone and good luck on your projects : )