Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #1

Rated Cap: 27
Any consultants able to help me out?

Hi,

I'm starting a conversion of a short Bluebird 1998 Handy bus for 27 passengers. I live right out in the boonies in BC and there is no one on my island who has done anything similar. Before the cries of 'you should have bought an already refurbished one!' come, as it costs $4000 just to get a bus on this island over ferry, I think I have to make do with the buses already here...

So, I'm new to all this and I'm looking to hire someone experienced who could help me by answering specific questions with exactly which parts to order for water tanks, propane systems, electrical systems etc., and how to have all these components interacting in the right way, all the little fiddly parts etc. and where to buy them, potentially even picking up small bits like screws and fittings and posting them to me.

I have around $10k to finish the whole project (I have already purchased the bus).

You:
- have converted a short bus before
- have knowledge of which brands are the best to purchase (due to my living far away from everywhere, its about quality, not cheapness)
- understand how propane and electrical systems work.
- realise my budget needs.
- need to be available to chat online and be efficient and good at research, sending links and photos, describing systems.

I would be able to pay you a consultation fee, which would vary depending on how much experience you had.

Thank you so much!

spagarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Any consultants able to help me out?

Welcome to the site! You actually can probably find anything and everything you need in the realm of school bus conversions right here on the site. I would suggest taking a few days to browse the forum topics and threads... this site has been around for a LONG time, so someone has probably had the same question as you at some point in the history of this forum.

Plus, buying an already-refurbished bus is cheating.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
...buying an already-refurbished bus is cheating.
Not if you strip it out and do a major remodel!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
Skoolie

Touche, touche! Fine. I concede defeat.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #5

Rated Cap: 27

So err back to the topic...anyone?
spagarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Like Sara said, this site is the best consultant you could ask for. Got a question? We're happy to offer up our experience for free.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 16

So how many passenger windows are on the drivers side of the bus? That will give everyone a much better idea of the length you have to work with. For example my TC2000 has air brakes, uses 22.5" wheels and is every inch of 30' long yet because it was built to haul an above average number of wheelchairs has a passenger cap of 17.

For the record I agree with the majority of posters that have responded to you so far, start reading about others projects here. Some of us still have demolition that needs doing. Others are finished and enjoying their buses. Plenty of others are somewhere in between.

Also there are other people converting buses that don't have the word school in them. Ignoring stuff like the fact that they have luggage bays, building a cabinet is building a cabinet. Water pumps are water pumps. You get the idea.
orangepeel91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:05 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 90

You might try sending a PM to Nat. He's a somehat polarizing, love-him-or-hate-him type, but is definitely one of the most passionate guys on the site. He enjoys doing the kind of research you're asking about, and is pretty sharp to boot.

He's also in Canada somewhere. Though I don't think he's as isolated as you, he does know what it takes to keep warm in the winter.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10085
JDecker is offline   Reply With Quote