Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

any ideas for layout in a shorty for 2 people and 2 dogs?

I don't have my shorty yet but I'm trying to get an idea of best layouts. assuming I get a shorty with an emergency exit at the back (most common type I see around heref [south of memphis, tn] I want to put our bed there and a kennel under so if we can't let the dogs out we can at least open the door. I'm doing a diy composting toilet (yes, I know they don't really compost but black water tank = ) we want a shower and at least one cook top with a sink and we'll need a desk/office area as we will work from the road. Thinking we may be able to convert the bed or kitchen area to office when we want to work. I don't need room for anybody else. just 2 people and 2 dogs.

Ideas? suggestions?

any good books for shorty floorplans?

jsin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I know others have crammed all that into a shorty. Honestly I'd suggest a bus with a few more windows. You're never going to find yourself complaining about having to much space in your bus.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I know others have crammed all that into a shorty. Honestly I'd suggest a bus with a few more windows. You're never going to find yourself complaining about having to much space in your bus.
I'm thinking shorty because I'm kind of intimidated about driving anything bigger. Biggest thing I've ever driven is an suv. I'm rethinking the office. We work on laptops so we'll make due with the eating area.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsin04 View Post
I'm thinking shorty because I'm kind of intimidated about driving anything bigger.
Oh, you should have seen me driving my 45' behemoth then! Talk about intimidating. It literally took me 4 months to get up the nerve to drive it.

I sure didn't need any caffeine that day....

And the second time I took it out was just as funny as the first time.

You can read about them both on my build thread.

But if I can do it, so can you....

And if you don't, I sure understand!
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Hey JSin,

Im in nearly the same boat. I had converted an ambulance long ago but when it died, I decided to go a different route. Started with plans to do an enclosed trailer to pull with truck. Then changed to a Shuttle bus (i like the looks better than schoolie shorties). And now looking at true schoolie shorties. I havent made my mind up between the last 2, but here is what I seem to have found. A 4 window "schoolie" seem to be very close interior size as most 12-14 passenger shuttle buses. A 5 or 6 window "schoolie" is close to 16-20 person shuttle. I have drawn up plans on all 4 of those. Funny thing is they are all almost identical with a foot here and there difference. All my plans are old school done on drafting table with pencil and paper. So I could scan them to post I guess, but they are almost identical to 99 Bumble Bee. Love that thread. Doing nice work on that one.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/th...bee-20243.html

Some plans the bath and kitchen are smaller, some they are bigger. But you CAN fit what you want into a shorty. My plans are a queen bed, full size shower, thetford cassette toilet(i dont like black tanks either), 3 burner LP stove, Whynter 2zone 12v fridge/freezer, 800W microwave, 20K btu LP furnace, 10gal LP/ elec water heater, 66 gals fresh water, 80gal grey tank, 3k/6k inverter/charger with 8 duracell gc2 batteries, 4 300W Solar panels, Midnight Classic charge controler, 12v lighting, 40" widescreen, computer, mini split ac/ heat, and lil buddy for back up heat. That all fit in a typical ambulance......EASY PEASY for a shorty.

I HIGHLY recommend the "box method" others here have mentioned to get a visual of layout. IE: get a bunch of boxes about the size of cabinets, seats, beds, etc. Put down some blue painters tape on driveway/ garage to display your walls. Is actually pretty fun. Good Luck!!

Doug
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
Bus Geek

As many on this site have discovered, it's never to late to revise your floorplan.

I've got 21 feet of uninterrupted floorspace, and I don't even want all those things in this bus.

My latest innovation has been using a mil surplus parachute to create partitions inside to retain heat.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #7
Skoolie

I have a 1990s compact SUV that I barely drove n my motorcycle that was my DD before I crashed it. Going to my E450 was sure intimidating but with all the mirrors it's not that bad. Have a 36 foot Crown without the school bus mirrors.... THATS gonna be fun to move. Love all the space but miss the mirrors, just glad it's not getting moved too often.
As for your layout idea, I would locate your bed at least a foot from the back door/ kennel area for rainy situations. Don't want wet sheets from the rain falling, splashing, or dripping in with the door open to let the dogs in. Good luck with your hunt and build.
1940s 'Binder 7 window, man cave
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I'd certainly agree with the tape on the floor and cardboard mock-ups. Take it one step further and "live" in your floor plan for 24 hours. I know it sounds wierd but it will sure make any unworkable aspect show up. Shove the living room furniture to the side and get taping. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Yeah, and make the dogs stay in there for 24 hours too. You know, just to get the real effect.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all the tips and ideas,guys.
plan revision 0.0001

We're only concerned with enough room for us and don't really care for company so we've elimated a few things to hopefully make more room.
BED- still at back of bus, kennel underneath in middle and storage on either side. between the top of the kennel and bottom of the bed frame will be a pull out table and on the wall at "head" and "foot" of bed will be hinged seats attached to the walls that will fold up/down. This eliminates the need for a desk/other eating space as we can eat and work there. -OR- I was someone on this forum mention 2 twins one either side of bus on casters. push together and latch for larger bed at night. I like the idea of this but sounds complicated.

Shower and toilet are nonnegotiable must haves. (wife)

kitchen set up. Large deep commercial sink. thinking about mounting a small chest freezer next to it (part of our trips will be hitting great restaurants but we want to eat cheaper, healthier in between destinations). We'll use the same counter top as the sink and make the freezer flush with the sink so it can be used for counter top/prep work. next to that will be a range of some kind (thinking electric) and underneath a mounted toaster oven.

across from the kitchen will be a seating area.

That's all I've got for now!
Old 12-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I would actually rethink the work area... only because if you guys are always working at the same table for 8+ hours per day you may end up at each other... nice little work area that can be folded up and converted to another type of space when not in use..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

the work area shouldn't be that big a deal. We pretty much work at one table now. Most of our work (we sell online) is done from laptops so we can still move around, lounge in bed, etc.

Thanks for the tip, though!
Old 06-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #13

Any update on this project? I'm just beginning the planning process (with a quick build schedule) for a similar shorty.
nolson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shorty