Old 11-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
Anyone here converted an ambulance?

I'm a relative newcomer here, and while intrigued with the skoolie conversion idea, I've never done one. While fairly handy, I clearly have a lot to learn skill-wise before taking something like this on (welding, metalworking, electrical, and finish carpentry in particular).

While lurking on, I ran across several ambulances. Has anyone done an ambulance conversion? I think it might be just the thing for me. I want to do a smaller bus, like a shuttle bus or ambulance. Want to make a combo tailgate vehicle and mini-man cave, with enough stowable sleeping for 3-4 in a pinch (thinking hammocks and folding beds that won't take up much space when not in use). What I like about ambulances are all the existing built-in storage compartments, inside and out. I could use the exterior compartments for built-in grills and coolers, pavilion, food and corn hole bord storage, that kind of thing.

Would love to hear from folks who have done an ambulance or seen a good one. Prices are comparable to schoolies. Headroom looks like a potential issue, not sure?

Love this site.
Lurking without a bus for now.
IronChariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Anyone here converted an ambulance?

Ambulances tend to be heavy in weight-and way more storage than living area. And your last line sumed up the main problem-headroom. And depending on how much stuff was removed when taken out of service, You could have a crazy wiring mess. There isn't another vehicle out there thats led as tough of a life.
Don't make a fuss-just get on the bus!

my bus build
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote