Old 08-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #102
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: GMC Micro Bluebird
Engine: 6.5 TD
Rated Cap: 19 ... 4 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
cell phones have killed the creativity and drive of most modern 18 YO's.
I wonder who is gonna actually work and build stuff in the future!

ME!!!

I make my own way! As long as I can draw a freakin' breath!
Old 08-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #103
Skoolie

NOTE TO TEDD:

How about extending the rear bumper our for more storage and other capabilities?
Old 08-12-2016, 12:08 AM   #104
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
Speaking as a "millenial" my generation is useless.

Coworker had a flat, offered to show him how to put his spare on. "Nah i have AAA". Sad.
ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #105
Skoolie

We made it ... almost 900 miles.

Had a bit of a hot start problem (or other) held us up in Tennessee over the weekend. Sucked ... BIG TIME. More on that for us 6.5 owners when I get home.

Before we left, I found that the Thermo King a/c system had a leak (schrader valve), so I rigged up a pair of fans for the driver and co driver so it wasn't so bad. Not a big deal to repair ... new valve, evacuate and recharge when I get home

Observations:

The bus rides and drives nicely, good power, a LOT faster than I thought it would be. No problem up hills. The brakes are more than up to the job. Although it has the stock driver's seat, it's very comfortable, I drove the whole trip, no aches or pains.

I love that I can park this bus in ANY parking lot. The two low clearance entrance doors allow very easy exit. This bus is really a good size for my loving and adoring wife, our two dogs (one medium, one small) and me.

Following 18 wheelers is somewhat dicey. When you are close enough that you can still see the driver's mirror, the air coming off the trailer buffets the bus quite a bit. I don't follow too closely so this is not a real problem for me.

The big windshield and wipers give a GREAT view. On the way up we passed through 3 thunder storms, non problems at all. HOWEVER, if you are planning to buy one of these, I have to say the A pillars REALLY suck, always in the way. Also there are situations, entering the roadway from a ramp for instance, when the body to the left and behind the driver really blocks the view, you really have to set your mirrors properly and depend on them.

It's a bit noisier than I'd like, so much so that communication with co-driver is difficult. Some Dynamat on the doghouse and better storage for tools will help.

I didn't keep good track of time, speed or gallons. Compared with the Garmin, the speedo is WAY off. I was traveling at an indicated 65 and the Garmin was telling us I was over 70. I was passing just about everything, so I think the Garmin is correct. I know I got over 10 MPG, close to 15, but I'm not sure how close. If I hold it to abo0ut 60 mph, I'm surfe I will get good mpg's.

The co-driver says the chair was comfortable enough, but needs an arm rest and storage for maps, Garmin, computer cup holder and etc. Gotta keep the co-driver happy. Also, there wasn't enough time to install a proper light for her. That get remedied when we get home.

It is amazing how much space the additional deck for the co-drivers feet adds. I think most people might be put off by the weight, but it does add a LOT of floor space by filling the stair well.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #106
Skoolie

Before I left, I was able to Install the left and right overhead storage and bolt down the chest freezer we will be using as a refrigerator installation of a thermostat.

These chest freezers are very efficient because the cold air doesn't fall out every time you open the door. Since I didn't have opportunity to install all the electrics, we could only us it as a big cooler on this trip. We put about 10 freezer packs in the bottom on Friday before we left to keep water and etc. cool. I didn't really expect much, but yesterday, 4 days later, it was still cold in the freezer. I don't see this refrigerator using very much power at all to keep things cold. The extra work space on the top of the freezer is GREAT.

I came up with a simple and easy way to bolt the freezer to the floor, I haven't had time to get pictures yet, but I think folks who plan to use this type freezer will find it interesting.

I also installed the clic together floating flooring I bought at HomeDepot. Fast and easy to install and it looks great.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #107
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
There is a tool for changing the schrader valve core on an a/c system
that doesn't require changing the freon. It removes the core with the
system fully charged and you only lose a whisp of freon. Real slick tool.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #108
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpop View Post
There is a tool for changing the schrader valve core on an a/c system
that doesn't require changing the freon. It removes the core with the
system fully charged and you only lose a whisp of freon. Real slick tool.
COOL! I'll look for one when I get home.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #109
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have one of those A/C tools and it works!! used it many times... if that diesel has a vacuum pump for the brakes you can oull enough of a vacuum on an automotive A/C system with some creativity and recharge while on the road....

I know me and myself... I busted the belt on my Main Dual-A/C unit on a trip to new york last month... oh yes I called every town i drove through till i found one and fixed A/C on the road...

what is using standard schraeders on a modern (post 1996) A/C? is it a port for where a pressure switch screws on? or are you talking one of the R-134A service ports?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #110
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
What is using standard schraeders on a modern (post 1996) A/C? is it a port for where a pressure switch screws on? or are you talking one of the R-134A service ports?

-Christopher
Chris, It's one of the R-134A service ports kinda hidden the the chassis under the bus.

If that tool works it should be a piece of cake!

The same port on my Blazer leaks just a little bit too. I'll fix two for the price of one.

I LOVE this forum.