Old 08-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #111
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
yeah 134A service ports are known to leak.. they get a little dirt in them esp if someone left the cap off and then gauges were connected or charge was put in through that port...

this is one similar to what I have for replacing the cores in 134a service ports.

Mastercool Inc., Manufacturer of Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, Service Tools and Equipment

-christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #112
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: GMC Micro Bluebird
Engine: 6.5 TD
Rated Cap: 19 ... 4 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
In most states, if you make all 4 school lights orange you clear any laws.. as ANY CARS in most all states can have orange or green light bars.. (that's why rent-a-cops have orange / green light bars) as they are not considered official colors in any state... so just get four more orange lenses and make all 8 school lights orange and you are good to go.
-Christopher
I've had a moment this morning to do some reading. On other threads, some folks have kept the red and orange on the rear and wired them as brake, tail and directional lights.

I'd like that especially if I could use wire up one set of the orange up front to act as directional and the other holes converted to some sort of clear driving light.

When I get home, I have some lookin' up to do.

I wonder if that's legal
Old 08-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #113
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
some states have rules about overhead white lights,, but i think on the front you can have as many orange as you want.. semi drivers put tons of orange lights all over teir rigs...

and then up top in the back.. I dont tink anyone restricts brake ligghts.. not sure about red tails up high? and of course yellow signals can be up high.. red or blue in the front facing forward is what im told is a no-no.. and front whites up high are no-no. (the jeep crowd gets boinked for that all the time if they turn their high whites on the road)..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #114
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Yep...I believe it may even be a Fed thing that there should be no white lights above a certain height. Not sure, but have heard that repeated many times.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #115
Skoolie

... and back home again. We maidened the bus and got a lovely new daughter-in-law in the bargain.

About 2,000 miles total. The only hiccup was a jammed evap. valve in the (damned) fuel cap on the way up. I drove the final leg from Allentown, Pa. to NoGa straight through, only stopping to take on fuel and to walk the dogs (OK ... and for potty breaks), in about 13 hours.

Yeah ... this bus is going to do just fine.

More after I get some sleep.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #116
Bus Geek

Sounds like a very successful shakedown cruise to me. Congrats and keep it rollin'!
Old 09-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #117
Skoolie

Still getting re-organized after the trip. My loving and adoring wife put together a cost analysis on the trip ... all VERY good news. Considering fuel ($240 for 2,000 miles), tolls, food and misc. the total over the two weeks came to $570 ... or $300. per week per 2000 miles. Perhaps not a very accurate way to measure, it does show that we can afford to do quite a lot of this sort of thing, especially when the bus has been made self sufficient (electricity, water, and poop). More distance costs more in fuel, more days costs more in food.

I just took a compass and using our home in NoGa as a center point and Allentown PA as the furthest extent of our trip, I pulled out my Atlas and scribed a circle to show where else we could go and stay two weeks for the same cost as our NJ excursion. Key West, Dallas, Texas and the Great Lakes are all within that same monetary reach.

As I mentioned, I know it's not a good way to measure these things, but it sure sets one to dreaming over a morning coffee.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #118
Skoolie

Also, we finally got a chance to acclimate the L&A wife with driving the bus. SHE LOVES IT!

Now a got a co-driver to help with both the smiles AND the miles.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #119
Bus Geek

You just may have trouble getting back in the pilots' seat!
Old 09-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #120
Skoolie

Propane Tanks. Outta my league here.

I'm considering this one, Manchester 10487TC, due to the name, the DOT stuff and the price ($166. free ship) size and ease of removal for re-filling: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

My negatives are that it looks as though the mounts are on the DOWN side but I know I can fab up something.

I plan to mount it under the bus close to the rear bumper (but not too close in case I get rear ended. ). A LOT of ground clearance here.

I think I would like to plumb it to the Genset (also under the bus) and to the interior (stove, hot water thingie) with black pipe and then run the flexible rubber lines to the regulators and devices.

Thoughts?