Old 06-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: GMC Micro Bluebird
Engine: 6.5 TD
Rated Cap: 19 ... 4 window
Just for the record ... the old floors got pulled up, insulation went in, pink stuff on the floor ... yada, yada, yada. I did the prep just like everyone else's build. There are better writeup's concerning this stuff than I could write already on this forum, no need to go over it again here.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Just for the record ... the old floors got pulled up, insulation went in, pink stuff on the floor ... yada, yada, yada. I did the prep just like everyone else's build. There are better writeup's concerning this stuff than I could write already on this forum, no need to go over it again here.
Love seeing updates!
Old 06-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
I am using 4X8 water proof panels from Home Depot. In the pictures above, this is the stuff that is used in the walls and also lining the shelf unit.

I am using 2 kinds, thin and light, and heavy and more ridgid. The light stuff is about $20 per sheet, the heavier is about $32 per sheet. It cuts real easily using a sabre saw.

I've found that the lighter stuff can be scored and folded along the score line. You get a nice clean fold. If someone got real creative I imagine that this material could be folded and screwed, stapled or glued in order to make any number of boxes and etc.

I have not found any information about paint-ability. I imagine if you can find a primer that will adhere to it, you should be able to paint it with just about anything.

4 ft. x 8 ft. White .090 FRP Wall Board-MFTF12IXA480009600 - The Home Depot

1/16 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Plastic Panel-63003 - The Home Depot
If it's what I'm thinking of, it makes a great dry-erase board as well! I put that stuff in all the way around my daughter's room when she was 6, gave her some dry erase markers, and kept her occupied for a good two years.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #24
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Love seeing updates!
I took a vacation for a while ... health issues, but mostly there was an odd vibe around here a while ago. It seems to have settled down ... to borrow a phrase, it's kinder and gentler now.

I like the change.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
I took a vacation for a while ... health issues, but mostly there was an odd vibe around here a while ago. It seems to have settled down ... to borrow a phrase, it's kinder and gentler now.

I like the change.
Yeah, its been pretty peaceful without those pesky gnats!
Old 07-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #26
Skoolie

I think it's a good idea to gather as much information (owners manuals, wire diagrams, etc.) about your bus as you can ... and keep it in a fire proof/ water proof container ON THE BUS, rather than at home. Having the correct electrical diagram for the coach could be a life saver out on the road.

I've been able to get both the GMC Savana Owners manual AND the appropriate Bluebird owner/operator manual as well as the wiring diagrams for each the van and the coach. Getting them bound will keep all of it together:

When I get done with the build, I will be binding all of the drawings and measurements I made during the build:

I keep EVERY owners/operators manual for EVERY device I install in the bus:

Old 07-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #27

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Diamond
Chassis: Ford e350
Engine: 351 Windser
Rated Cap: unk
Fantastic series. The wife and I are attempting the same thing with a '94 F350; body is solid and the engine is sound. Your articles are very inspiring and great source for details. I'll be keeping up with your data updates for the experience.
Bill Smith, Ms.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #28
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Fantastic series. The wife and I are attempting the same thing with a '94 F350; body is solid and the engine is sound. Your articles are very inspiring and great source for details. I'll be keeping up with your data updates for the experience.
Bill Smith, Ms.
Aaaawwww shucks ... tanin't nothin' special ... just a little hippie boy trying to get by ...

... but you make sure to stop back jist eny ol' time ...
Old 07-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #29
Skoolie

As a mechanic I came across about a bazillion of these automotive plastic panel fasteners holding our cars together. They work great at holding various types of panel onto more plastic ... or even steel framing. I thought they might come in handy on this build. Cheap, cheap, cheap ... you can get 100 for about 4 bucks on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-.../dp/B00BGD956K

They are easily removable, and to a point, re-usable. They do become somewhat brittle with age and will break on removal, but that is way down the road.

Installation is easy, drill a 1/4 in. hole and pop them in. For a tighter fit, I drill a 15/64th in. hole. You can buy a removal tool on amazon ... but just the edge of a knife will slip under the head and pry them out ... or cut it off as the job requires.

Photos below show the thin plastic panel I used to make a splash guard for my composting head and how I mounted the panel to the steel framing.

I even cheated and joined scraps together to see if these plastic thingies would hold. They DO!

BTW, information regarding the plastic panels I'm using can be found in post 20 of this thread.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #30
Skoolie

I will be using a DIY composting head ion the bus. Because space is at a premium, this area is a combination head and electrical locker. The steel framing of the head unit is right over the spot where I've mounted the deep cycle batteries for the coach electrics. You should be able to see where I've mounted a pair of 1,000 Watt inverters. My nice new battery charger will mount just to the right, behind the drivers seat. Please not the spin-on lid on the poopy bucket.

I have more wiring to run, so I have not installed covering panels, the walls or head door yet.