Old 07-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #31
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: GMC Micro Bluebird
Engine: 6.5 TD
Rated Cap: 19 ... 4 window
Well, Dear Readers, it's crunch time.

I have 28 days before I have to go up to New Jersey for my son's wedding, and come hell or high water, I AM driving this bus up there.

If you get a chance, watch a sunset or look at a rainbow and think kindly bus thoughts to help me get it done.

Thank you!
Old 07-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Good bus vibes headed your way, Tedd! Go get 'em!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
Good bus vibes headed your way, Tedd! Go get 'em!
Thanks, I appreciate that!

Where are you from in NJ? I grew up in Keyport and was living in Hightstown when we couldn't take it no more. My wife is from Perth Amboy ... my boys live in the Tom's River Area. If you're from a rural area in NJ ... that has to be in north west or south Jersey ... that's all the rural up there!
Old 07-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #34
Bus Nut

NW, right on the river. Skylands region. Born and raised here. Lived in NYC for 10 years. Moved back out. Taxes are getting atrocious. Almost time to move on, I'm thinking. Ya like Georgia?
Old 07-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #35
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
NW, right on the river. Skylands region. Born and raised here. Lived in NYC for 10 years. Moved back out. Taxes are getting atrocious. Almost time to move on, I'm thinking. Ya like Georgia?
Only a lot. The 18 northern most counties of Georgia are exactly what most of NJ looked like back in the 1950 & 60's excepts the hills are higher and there's a lot more of 'em.

Ten years ago when I moved out of NJ, I had a 1800 sq ft ranch house in Hightstown on as 100 X 100 lot. My taxes were over $11,000 per year. Now I have a 5,000 sq ft house on over an acre and my taxes are about 2 G's ... and I don't even know of a toll road in GA.

Also, down here folks don't think I'm weird if I listen to old hippie tunes ... these folks think it's all old Country Music.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Only a lot. The 18 northern most counties of Georgia are exactly what most of NJ looked like back in the 1950 & 60's excepts the hills are higher and there's a lot more of 'em.

Ten years ago when I moved out of NJ, I had a 1800 sq ft ranch house in Hightstown on as 100 X 100 lot. My taxes were over $11,000 per year. Now I have a 5,000 sq ft house on over an acre and my taxes are about 2 G's ... and I don't even know of a toll road in GA.

Also, down here folks don't think I'm weird if I listen to old hippie tunes ... these folks think it's all old Country Music.
I'm going to have to tour northern GA. I've been to Atlanta many times on business. Never had the time to venture out very far though. Looks like you can be out in the middle of nowhere and still be a fairly easy drive to some big cities if you need something. Thanks for the inside info!

I love old hippie music, if by that, you mean Peter, Paul & Mary; Dylan; The Dead, etc. Old Country music? Yeah, like Hank Williams Sr.! LOL
Old 07-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #37
Skoolie

I installed a plywood top and back onto the galley unit and bolted in a scrap yard sink and the propane burner from a charcoal grill. The water heater and propane tank will mount under the sink.

YES . I KNOW IT NEEDS A VENT ... and I already have the CO2 meter.

I haven't decided what material I want to put on the top. It will have vinyl sides, and probably 1970's style panelling (for that cheap look) all held on with those plastic pins I'm fond of. This should allow for quick replacement if I run into money or a better idea.

Speeds the thing right now. I can make it pretty later.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:07 AM   #38
Almost There

Nice project. I'm still looking/planning for a bus of my own. Your Micro-Bird is cool but I need a 40' rear engine bus for my family. I am going to borrow your slide out pantry idea though! Keep us updated.
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #39
Skoolie

I can't remember if I passed on some resources to help you get along with the 6.5 Diesel found in these little bussessesses. I think these memory lapses might have something to do with the 60's … and Richard M. Nixon … but I digress.

The GMC 6.5 diesel. Some folks like them, and some folks don't … not very much anyoldways. Me? I know there are better diesel engines out there … but this one is already in the bus … so I figure it pays to learn how to keep it healthy. As John Muir, the father of doing the VW van thing on yer own said a LONG time ago, “Come to kindly terms with your ass, for it beareth you.” John didn't have the luxuries of computers and the internet back in those halcyon days of yesteryear … but now we do. And there is a whole lot of more good stuff on the internet then just those far-out fractal vids on Youtube.

There are a couple forums dedicated to keeping the 6.5 Diesel Engines up and running. The Diesel Place is a good one. Chock full of diy and fwiw, you can find information on doing repairs and mods to this engine here: 6.5 NEWBIES - **START HERE** - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums You gotta register man, but it's OK. It ain't the draft.

As I mentioned, Youtube has more than just great tunes. If you look around, you can also find a couple vids on You tube about keeping the 6.5 alive and well:

FWIW (I think “bomb proof” is a bit … optimistic. The videographer (?) does not really address the unharmonious harmonic balancer, a throughly blown head gasket, or a cracked head. But most of his stuff is right on, Man.

Here's a good one on a perfectly wonderful bad PMD (btw: Pump Mounted Driver PMD, Fuel System Driver FSD.): Just finding the dang thing is half the battle so pay attention.

If you are REALLY into arts & crafts or desperately outta dough, this one tells you how to REPAIR a pesty PMD: ... but I would call that a lesson for really advanced players.

If you're flush with cash 'cause you sold your stash, you can find a repair/relocation kit complete with NEW-IMPROVED (or at least working and better than your old dead one) PMD for about $240. Just do a google search.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #40
Almost There

I have driven some good 6.5's. It's an IDI engine. It's not a Duramax or a Cummins but as long as you get that out of your head it's fine. Dad had one in his 97 K3500 dually crew. It would haul a load and still get 17 mpg. Good luck on yours!
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote