Old 07-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: GMC Micro Bluebird
Engine: 6.5 TD
Rated Cap: 19 ... 4 window
Making floorspace for the foot weary.

When you only got about 70 square foots for yer feets … every inch counts. It helps out a lot if you can actually MAKE some of them square foots, maybe about 5 of them.

Below you will find a photo of a hunk of diamond plate welded to some 1 in. angle iron and painted OD. If in 1969 you couldn't get a college deferment or afford the trip to Canada, you might recognize this assemblage as the buddy seat back from the cab of a M35a2 Deuce and a Half. I had an extra one left over from the build of my other RV. Rugged and tough, this fold down seat back formed the platform for a G.I. to stand on when the Deuce was equipped with a machine gun ring.

Just remember that WAR is not good for flowers and other living things.

… anyoldways... a quick eyeballin' showed that with some creative trimming, it would fit as a removable deck over the stair-well opening in front of the co-drivers chair. When underway it will serve as a place for my loving and adoring wife to put her footers. It will be supported by angle iron and held in place with quick release pins. I have a place to stow it outta the way when the stair well needs to be open BUT the doors will still be operational and accessable for emergency exit.

Less than one hours work, it even has the additional benefit that, when in place, it makes the bus look a bit bigger.

Like we said back when Playboy Magazine was still considered dirty, sometimes an illusion is all you need.

Oh yeah … I included the cutting tools I am using on this build. Equipped with a proper metal cutting blade, that sabre saw has enough grunt to cut 16 gauge mild steel and aluminium sheet.

Of course, the height of this deck will be flush with the (Home Depot, Cheap) flooring we've chosen to put down.

In the photo above, the junk yard comfy chair is setting on a surplus ammo can. I'm considering beefing it up to use as both a comfy chair mount AND permanently affixed, locking tool & road emergency chest. If I paint it to match everything else, I don't think anyone would recognize it as having carried weapons of war.

But ... as the undertaker said ... remains to be seen!
Old 07-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #42
Skoolie

... and ... oh yeah ... I forgot.

The OTHER reason that little extra floor space is important ... it allows me to mount the co-drivers chair about a foot and a half more forward.

That is a big gain of floor area for stuff other than my loving and adoring wife's pretty little feet.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #43
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: corbeil
Chassis: ford e350
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke
Nicely done, I like that especially the recycling of the gunner part. Something from your previous adventures?
With doors open you are set for a drive by shooting.

My build.. elf bus... is similar at least the co-pilot seat part. The co-pilot seat is a swivel. I would like to have something fold away in entrance stair.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #44
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Nicely done, I like that especially the recycling of the gunner part. Something from your previous adventures?
Yeah ... I guess so.

But it's also a left over from my OTHER RV build. Henry is my cut down Deuce and a Half ... daily driver and best ol' buddy! Interestingly, what I'm doing to this bus is what I planned on doing to Henry ... but the old guy looked so dang CUTE in OD, I just couldn't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
My build.. elf bus... is similar at least the co-pilot seat part. The co-pilot seat is a swivel. I would like to have something fold away in entrance stair.

Later J
Hey J, Yeah, a folder is a GREAT idea ... but I'm running outta time. I got about 3 weeks before the Jersey run. It wouldn't take much ... about 4 hinges, some angle iron and some diamond plate ... or other.

I was thinking about a swivel but was kinda concerned about the strength of that pivot joint during a heavy impact. It is, after all, my loving and adoring wife's tushy we'll be putting in that chair ... or my bony old keester when she's driving the bus down the hiways and byways of life.

I'm gonna keep that on the back burner until I get chance to actually hold one in my hands.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I can't remember if I passed on some resources to help you get along with the 6.5 Diesel found in these little bussessesses. I think these memory lapses might have something to do with the 60's … and Richard M. Nixon … but I digress.

The GMC 6.5 diesel. Some folks like them, and some folks don't … not very much anyoldways. Me? I know there are better diesel engines out there … but this one is already in the bus … so I figure it pays to learn how to keep it healthy. As John Muir, the father of doing the VW van thing on yer own said a LONG time ago, “Come to kindly terms with your ass, for it beareth you.” John didn't have the luxuries of computers and the internet back in those halcyon days of yesteryear … but now we do. And there is a whole lot of more good stuff on the internet then just those far-out fractal vids on Youtube.

There are a couple forums dedicated to keeping the 6.5 Diesel Engines up and running. The Diesel Place is a good one. Chock full of diy and fwiw, you can find information on doing repairs and mods to this engine here: 6.5 NEWBIES - **START HERE** - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums You gotta register man, but it's OK. It ain't the draft.

As I mentioned, Youtube has more than just great tunes. If you look around, you can also find a couple vids on You tube about keeping the 6.5 alive and well:

FWIW (I think “bomb proof” is a bit … optimistic. The videographer (?) does not really address the unharmonious harmonic balancer, a throughly blown head gasket, or a cracked head. But most of his stuff is right on, Man.

Here's a good one on a perfectly wonderful bad PMD (btw: Pump Mounted Driver PMD, Fuel System Driver FSD.): Just finding the dang thing is half the battle so pay attention.

If you are REALLY into arts & crafts or desperately outta dough, this one tells you how to REPAIR a pesty PMD: ... but I would call that a lesson for really advanced players.

If you're flush with cash 'cause you sold your stash, you can find a repair/relocation kit complete with NEW-IMPROVED (or at least working and better than your old dead one) PMD for about $240. Just do a google search.
Dude- I've still got my old copy of "How to keep your VW alive".
The part you quoted has ALWAYS been one of my favorites!
Old 07-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #46
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Dude- I've still got my old copy of "How to keep your VW alive".
The part you quoted has ALWAYS been one of my favorites!
ME TOO!!! I bought mine back in the day when I left the International Harvester and Checker Marathon Dealership I was working for and landed a job at a VW Dealership. I was the nube there and everybody was to busy to help out. When nobody was looking, I pulled out my copy of the book and cheated my way through. I had to hide it because I didn't want anybody to know I was a complete idiot.

Don't forget the ART WORK!!!! Peter Aschwanden was every bit as good as R. Crumb back in the day!

Yeah ... you read right ... a International Harvester and Checker Marathon Dealership. Farm equipment and civilian taxicabs. Talk about weird floor planning.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
ME TOO!!! I bought mine back in the day when I left the International Harvester and Checker Marathon Dealership I was working for and landed a job at a VW Dealership. I was the nube there and everybody was to busy to help out. When nobody was looking, I pulled out my copy of the book and cheated my way through. I had to hide it because I didn't want anybody to know I was a complete idiot.

Don't forget the ART WORK!!!! Peter Aschwanden was every bit as good as R. Crumb back in the day!

Yeah ... you read right ... a International Harvester and Checker Marathon Dealership. Farm equipment and civilian taxicabs. Talk about weird floor planning.
Correction- COMPLEAT!

So you've seen your fair share of IHC's?
I drove a 73 Terra II Scout a few years. It was actually my little brothers. Great truck. We left the top off mostly.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #48
Skoolie

Speakin' of R. Crumb ... hows about a little musical interlude or 2:

Anybody who's seen the Cheap Thrills Album cover knows R. Crumb. But I wonder how many folks know that he is a big Jug Band supporter AND musician.

Tastey tunes, indeed!
Old 07-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #49
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Correction- COMPLEAT!

So you've seen your fair share of IHC's?
I drove a 73 Terra II Scout a few years. It was actually my little brothers. Great truck. We left the top off mostly.
The shop had an early '60 ... an 80 I think. I LOVED that little truck. I don't recall many Scouts coming through.

I know it will seem odd for New Jersey ... But this was central Jersey in the mid-70's. We mostly worked on trucks and tractors LOTS of tractors.

The Checkers were pretty good cars. Solid, heavily built ... and tough. Folks who owned them loved them.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #50
Bus Geek

I love your taste in music. A LOT