Old 08-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #81
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: GMC Micro Bluebird
Engine: 6.5 TD
Rated Cap: 19 ... 4 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
All this talk of woodies and rub rails is just... well... never mind.
Steady, Lad.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #82
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Everybody loves the Further paint work...but nobody wants it parked in THEIR area. I agree...keep it low key and under the radar.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #83
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Everybody loves the Further paint work...but nobody wants it parked in THEIR area. I agree...keep it low key and under the radar.
Yeah. I know. "THEM" *sigh*

Old 08-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #84
Skoolie

Big day yesterday.

I installed more wall coverings and the faces got put on the settee bases. I have more work to do on them, but I put the foam for the cushions out there to check fit. All is good. The (cheap) 1970's style panelling with the look of real wood, designed with your mind in mind, looks right at home in this application. Just wait until we add the neck ties.

We also brushed and rolled a coat of paint on. As I said, it's beige. We are going to put on darker brown accents ... but the second coat and the stripes are going to have to wait until we get back for NJ.

For the record, this has got to be the worse paint job I've ever been involved with. We used a Behr product, Marquee semi gloss. One gallon of paint would have given us REAL one-coat coverage ... BUT ( and a BIG ol' but) it was scorching hot yesterday and the paint almost dried as soon as you touched it to metal and didn't flow out at all, so it you can really see it was done with a brush and roller. I had wanted to spray the paint on, but this Marquee is so thick it won't flow through a hvlp gun. Oh well. from 10 feet away it looks just fine.

Somebody is going to ask ... the totes are filled with old motor oil that has been filtered and thinned. It's fuel for Henry, my multi-fuel Deuce and a half.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #85
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: corbeil
Chassis: ford e350
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke
That color looks good.
multifuel. Is that anything more then extra filters, may be with some heat added and indirect injection?
Always like that name. A lot better then flex fuel. Anyhow I figure my old mercedes and powerstroke could be called multifuel also?

Here in PA they make you take the lights of o black them out.
Not sure how NY is but knowing the purpose of your trip you woul dnot want to spoil it with a copstop.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #86
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Multifuel. Is that anything more then extra filters, may be with some heat added and indirect injection?

Always like that name. A lot better then flex fuel. Anyhow I figure my old mercedes and powerstroke could be called multifuel also?
The engine in Henry is called the LTD 465 Multifuel. With mechanical direct injection (Bosch design) and turbocharging, I believe it was designed by Continental in the late 1940's and was originally was used in an agricultural tractor. The US government wanted to replace all of its gasoline powered vehicles with diesels due to problems finding fuel during WWII.

Design features that make this a multi-fuel engine include the hypercycle combustion chamber that is cast into each piston and its 22-1 compression ratio. This engine can burn a wide variety of petroleum products including diesel, kerosene (which includes all the various grades of Jet fuel), various other lubricants ... and limited amounts of straight gasoline for VERY limited times. The low ignition temp of gasoline make it too volatile for long term use.

There are millions of stories of guys putting drinking alcohol in the tank and running on that ... I look at the ignition temp of alcohol and shake my head. Hey ... it's a good story.

Yes ... the OM617 engine in your 300 D can burn some amount of waste oil that has been filtered and thinned, almost ALL direct injected diesel engines can do this safely. One of the alternative projects was to purchase an old (50's) Jeep pickup and turn it into a woody wagon using the OM617 engine. It wouldn't be the fastest thing on 4 tires ... but it would be rugged and reliable and would burn just about any correctly de-watered, filtered and thinned petroleum product I could find. But I talked myself into this bus.

I have not done any testing on electronically injected diesels engines. My concerns regarding burning multiple types of fuels in newer, electronically injected engines have to do with spray patterns and possible harm to the close tolerance injectors.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #87
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
T
Here in PA they make you take the lights out or black them out.
Not sure how NJ is but knowing the purpose of your trip you would not want to spoil it with a copstop.

Later J
Now THIS is interesting. I had assumed (bad, VERY bad) that as long as I met the requirements of my home state, I could drive through other states without difficulty.

I've got them disconnected and hoped that would be sufficient.

I guess I'll bring a step ladder and some duct tape.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #88
Bus Nut

Bring a step ladder and tape. Lighting requirements must be met on a state-by-state basis. Strictly following federal standards/guidelines puts you in compliance in all 50 states. Things like school bus lights and light bars (both off-road and emergency responders) must meet individual state laws.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #89
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
Bring a step ladder and tape. Lighting requirements must be met on a state-by-state basis. Strictly following federal standards/guidelines puts you in compliance in all 50 states. Things like school bus lights and light bars (both off-road and emergency responders) must meet individual state laws.
Thanks for the tip.

It's good to have friends like this!
Old 08-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #90
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
in most states if you make all 4 school ights orange you clear any laws.. as ANY CAR in most all states can have orange or green light bars.. (thats why rent-a-cops have orange / green light bars) as they are not considered offocial colors in any state... so just get four more orange lenses and make all 8 school lights orange and you are good to go..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote