Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 15
Balancing weight

Hi there. I own a '86 bluebird shorty with a handicap ramp that im taking out right now...i want to make some space for a sofabed in the back....but im curious about balancing weight on one side.....because the right side has a fridge, oven, and a big water tank. The sofa's gonna go on that side too but im worried that the bus is going to be unbalanced, and that suspension and the tires will wear out quickly on the right side. I've already lost one tire on that side and i suspect that perhaps it has something to do with this imbalance.

Am i worrying too much? Is this an issue everyone here has dealt with before?

timecrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Balancing weight

I don't think all those things added up would total 1,000 lbs... I doubt your bus would even notice it.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 15

Okay i suppose it'll be alright. Thanks for the advice
timecrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Skoolie

Can I have your handi lift? I need one for loading and unloading motorcycles.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #5

Hi, I am currently trying to decide what size bus I want. I really would like to have a shorty, but I need an area to shower. It doesn't have to be extravagant, just functional. What size water tanks can a shorty accomodate? I am thinking I want a futon for sleeping and sitting with aTV. Small fridge,with a microwave on top and bar size sink for kitchenette and the rv toilet, shower and water heater etc. Everything in one room. Sort of like the hotel rooms I get stuck staying in now. I travel 2-3 days per week with my job and would like to have my own space instead of dragging all my stuff in and out of hotel rooms all the time. Can I do this with a short bus or do I have to go full size? Any info is helpful. Thanks alot. Marsha
Marsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9l Diesel Cummins
Rated Cap: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha
Hi, I am currently trying to decide what size bus I want. I really would like to have a shorty, but I need an area to shower. It doesn't have to be extravagant, just functional. What size water tanks can a shorty accomodate? I am thinking I want a futon for sleeping and sitting with aTV. Small fridge,with a microwave on top and bar size sink for kitchenette and the rv toilet, shower and water heater etc. Everything in one room. Sort of like the hotel rooms I get stuck staying in now. I travel 2-3 days per week with my job and would like to have my own space instead of dragging all my stuff in and out of hotel rooms all the time. Can I do this with a short bus or do I have to go full size? Any info is helpful. Thanks alot. Marsha
You can do this on a short bus. You'll have to mount the water tanks under your bus frame where there is a lot of space and then Id build your own bed/dinette in the back and use your side as a small kitchen and the other as your shower/toilet.

Photo's of my bus build
Billsman is offline   Reply With Quote