Old 05-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: Big Mac I bought for $500!!!!!

I looked at the pics of your bus. Great score. You said you were going to pull your travel trailer with it. How long is your bus and how long is the trailer including the tongue? It's not over 65' is it?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
I looked at the pics of your bus. Great score. You said you were going to pull your travel trailer with it. How long is your bus and how long is the trailer including the tongue? It's not over 65' is it?
Why? I drove 53' trailers with a long nose IH 9400 conventional for 12 years...... The trailer is 32'. I have not measured the bus yet, but both together are shorter than the semis I drove.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Here is my first attempt with help (thanks timmylc)

YIPPIE!!!!! Success!!!!!!!!

Ok, here are the other pics:

The A/C is VERY cold! I was planning on going out to the farm to work on it tomorrow, however, since I visited the Chiropractor (i.e. personal terrorist) I'm down for the count for tomorrow. I'll be looking for a conversion van seat to replace the driver's seat in Big Mac tomorrow. I'm still searching for the amber lights to replace the red ones in front & back. Anyone want to donate? PM me if so. I'll be happy to pay for shipping.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031
Quote:
Why? I drove 53' trailers with a long nose IH 9400 conventional for 12 years...... The trailer is 32'. I have not measured the bus yet, but both together are shorter than the semis I drove.
Because some of our cops are buttholes and know the vehicle code inside and out. 65 ft is the maximum length with some exceptions for commercial trucks. I have included links for you to decipher. It will probably explain why your semi was legal. Don't kill the messenger. Just giving you a heads up. I know regs vary from state to state, but if you are traveling it is something to consider.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...s/ca-legal.pdf

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...uck-legend.pdf

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...ize/length.htm

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 05-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Because some of our cops are buttholes and know the vehicle code inside and out. 65 ft is the maximum length with some exceptions for commercial trucks. I have included links for you to decipher. It will probably explain why your semi was legal. Don't kill the messenger. Just giving you a heads up. I know regs vary from state to state, but if you are traveling it is something to consider.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...s/ca-legal.pdf

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...uck-legend.pdf

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...ize/length.htm
I'm not trying to sound critical, sorry if I do. Right now I don't have an answer one way or the other.

I did look. That applies to California. I'll check Texas. I have zero plans to visit CA - nothing personal.......
Old 05-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Here's a pic of MY M1031 from last year. I need to update this. I have put in quite a bit of work on her since then:

My son's M1009 is next to it.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #17
Site Team

The only reason I bring it up is that a CHP truck enforcement officer in our local office would pull you over in a heartbeat, just to check. Twice, I have seen him pull over the same toter pulling a trailer. He wrote them a ticket for being overweight on the rear axle, over-length, no class A license and I can't remember what else. They had to wait until someone with a Class A came down to drive it off. I didn't mean to sound snippy. It just looked like you were getting close to that length and wanted to point it out. Not knowing won't get you out of the ticket. The truck enforcement guys don't have any sense of humor at all. Laws vary from state to state. It might not be a problem in Texas at all. Don't worry about not coming to California. I hope everybody boycotts our state. Maybe it will collapse sooner.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Don't worry about not coming to California. I hope everybody boycotts our state. Maybe it will collapse sooner.
I hear the Arizona electrical companies may expidite that process............
Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #19
Site Team

I can only hope that they don't wus out. We have a bunch of mindless mush-heads running our cities and our state. They pass laws and their stupid proclamations without considering the consequences. If that is what it takes to wake the citizens up, so be it.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily
Quote:
Anyone have the amber light covers they want to give away? I'm going to replace the red ones on Big Mac with the amber ones. Amber is legal on any vehicle, I just want to have the added security in case I need to stop on the highway and not get hit by some tired driver.
Just took the flashing school lights all off my bus, I will send you all 8, bulbs and all if you like. I am in Dallas so it won't be awful shipping to SA.

Lily
Lily;

I'm in Katy, just west of Houston, not SA. Please check your PM and THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!