Originally Posted by Smitty
Floor looks good! Don't get used to all that room though....it'll disappear quickly once you start construction
I found some butyl rubber caulk at Menards, which I'm using to set my windows "into", as well as caulk afterward. Also using it to seal the roof rack flanges to the roof (even though they're welded, so no chance of leaks, just wanting to keep moisture from between them and the roof surface), and any areas of the drip-edge that needs resealed.
It's gooey stuff, paintable....and butyl is pretty good stuff, not overly expensive either...it was under $4 a tube. From what I've used of it, it seems like good stuff.
Thanks for the heads-up Smitty!
Well. after two hours of wire wheel grinding, all of the rust is now removed and the floor is now (for the most part) protected. I finally found the truck bed liner I used on my military trucks. So now I'm in great shape once I get some time to apply it. I ran out of sunlight (again) before I got everything completed. Well, tomorrow starts my EMT classes and clinicals. I'll still look in from time to time. But my postings will drop off now for sure. I'll finish on 20AUG10. Testing is shortly after that. Then onto Paramedic school (no rest for the weary)...
Here's the finished floor:
I'll modify the bottom door jam because the rust is so difficult to remove. I'm going to cut the rusted metal out and replace it with an aluminum piece:
Oh yeah, during that storm on Thursday I also discovered the windows leak over the rear axle, so I'll be replacing the windows with sheet metal sometime....... If you look at the first flooring picture I posted above you can faintly see some of the corrosion I'll be dealing with in the future.