Originally Posted by M1031
. . . . As I was disconnecting the batteries to remove some dead wires, I couldn't help but notice this issue:
!!!! I'm thinking of caulking and then taping the caulking after I give this area a baking soda bath. Anyone have better ideas? I'm open for other suggestions. .......
What I've found is the best at keeping water out is:
1. Electricians' rubber tape. Not plastic electrical tape. Rubber tape is stretchy and usually has no adhesive, but will grab itself a little if you touch it together when it is stretched. Get it from an electrical supply house. Wind a couple of overlapping layers on, pulling slightly to stretch it so it grips and conforms to the surfaces, and seals the openings. Go past the damage in both directions to seal to the jacket. Follow this with
2. Plastic electrical tape. Wind an overlapping layer or maybe two completely covering the rubber tape to keep it in place. This layer does not have to be perfect, as the rubber does the work, but should be reasonably tight. Good expensive tape is Scotch 33. The cheap stuff in the big box store bins is great, too. Avoid the 3M "Highland" budget brand, though - it has bad glue. Follow this with
3. A good liquid adhesive. Liquid electrical tape, rubber cement, etc. I used to use "GC Bond" from the electronics parts store (if you can find one still in business). This will keep the plastic tape from letting go over time. Scotchkote keeps the seal intact, but remains sticky forever and really messes up your hands, so I avoid it.
I use this method to seal connections from rain and ice up on antenna towers, and it works much better than the riggers' "taffy" that is supposed to stick to cable jackets, and doesn't always. Plus, if you ever want to get the seal off, just slit the outer part with a razor or pocketknife, and the rest peels off 100% cleanly. You can't say that about the 'taffy' goop. If you only use a couple of layers of each tape, the seal will not be a big bulge like other repairs can be.