Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Blank Slate

My "Shorty" is just that...21' bumper to bumper. And like many other shorties, space is at a premium, so an extended rear deck looks mighty good but it does still present similar issues. Tail swing, bottoming out, too much weight behind the axle, etc.

My solution is to try and have the best of both worlds by building a fold-up deck. Just big enough in the "up" position (about 26") to carry my genny and provide space below for a spare and an extended run gas tank for said generator...but not so long as to create balance or navigational problems. Other goodies could also be stored there while on the road. While parked and in the down position, it will serve as a small deck about 7-1/2" wide by 5" deep. Just big enough for a lawn chair or two with cupholders (gotta' have a place for your Margaritas!)

Might not be right for everyone but then very few things are. Curious to hear other folks read on resolving the deck dilemma.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird (Short)
Chassis: International
Engine: 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 19

Thanks for clarifying on my mystery buttons. I'm going to test those functions next time I start it up.
Not sure if it's an Allison. How do I find that out?

Regarding the platform, I guess 5-6' will be too long. Our bus is 29' bumper to bumper. we should be able to make 3 feet work. The fold-up is a good idea, but we need a permanent home for our grill and a platform is perfect. We promised our cook a better set up with this next bus. We only use the bus 4-5 times a year. i hear you guys on the side-effects. Consider your warnings heard, not heeded. Perhaps some lessons are best learned the hard way
Tailgater 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgater 6
Not sure if it's an Allison. How do I find that out?
The chances are that if you have an automatic transmission in a school bus, it's going to be an Allison at545. It's possible that the information plaque with GVWR and recommended tire sizes has the transmission listed. If not, you'd have to climb underneath and read the model # off of the side of the transmission, or contact International.