Old 02-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: e350 SD
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 18
Interesting...
I have had to use my bus a few times this winter and have experienced the same problem , once it gets warmed up everything works
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy 3500
Engine: 6.0L Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
I have a very similar bus. When it gets really cold the relay won't engage that operates heater/blower, radio, inside lights. After I drive it for 30 minutes everything starts to work. I like your build, keep the pictures and info coming.
Well at least we are not alone! That makes me more motivated to find the issue while it is still cold out. I will be sure to report back with my findings. Thank you.
Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:00 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Lots of planning happening, I should keep track of how many times I go into that bus with a tape measure. Quick question for you guys, is it legal to mount
things to the back of the bus? I know the lights and the license plate have to be visible. Things I would like to mount back there are two bikes vertically (possibly on the door), propane tank(s), water heater, grill mounted to a swing out arm. I plan to build a heavy duty bumper that can mount the grill arm and a propane tank securely. I will build it up around the propane beefy enough to be rear-ended without worry of the tank exploding. I just dont know if it is legal to do any of this and google is not cooperating with me... or is this a better to ask forgiveness situation.... thank you in advance!
Old 02-27-2018, 10:08 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork View Post
Lots of planning happening, I should keep track of
things to the back of the bus? I know the lights and the license plate have to be visible. Things I would like to mount back there are two bikes vertically (possibly on the door), propane tank(s), water heater, grill mounted to a swing out arm. I plan to build a heavy duty bumper that can mount the grill arm and a propane tank securely. I will build it up around the propane beefy enough to be rear-ended without worry of the tank exploding. I just dont know if it is legal to do any of this and google is not cooperating with me... or is this a better to ask forgiveness situation.... thank you in advance!
Ya, I'd check legality os open storage of propane canisters on the back, I've only seen external mounts on the frogs where they are less likely to be impacted. In the case of a possibly explosive incidence potential a LEO may not be forgiving when it is so easy to ticket you.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Ya, I'd check legality os open storage of propane canisters on the back, I've only seen external mounts on the frogs where they are less likely to be impacted. In the case of a possibly explosive incidence potential a LEO may not be forgiving when it is so easy to ticket you.
"Frogs"? What are these "frogs" you speak of?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
"Frogs"? What are these "frogs" you speak of?
Fronts, dang spellcheck.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:25 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Fronts, dang spellcheck.
I dont think I like the idea of them on the front at all (or on the frogs for that matter). I have been looking through setups and talking with people and I believe that if I build a solid enclosure that is integrated into the back bumper when I build it all should be good. Think solid steel box vented out the bottom. You wont even know its in there.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:16 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Currently we do not have a place for the copilot to sit and I am aware that this is a constant battle for schoolies... hopefully I have thought of a revolutionary idea. I have owned several jeeps in the past and I know the 97-06 TJ era jeeps had front seats that were on a slider rail and they would "lift" up towards the dash so you could climb behind them into the back seat. I believe one of these seats could be mounted in the passenger position in the bus and then slid forward and up out of the way once the bus is parked. Does anyone know if this has been attempted before? initial measurements seem to work out and I am searching the local craigslists for the mounting base from one of these. Living in the rust belt gives me plenty of options....
Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

i found the electrical problem, somehow I missed an auxiliary battery that is mounted on the outside of the frame on the passenger side. due to its location the fiberglass panelling probably has to be removed in order to service it. That explains why it look like its 15 years old. Somehow the cable that connects it to the main battery for the engine pulled out of its terminal a very long time ago and just corroded itself to the top of the battery post. That is what all of the extra components on the bus have been running off of. Gravity making the connection. I bypassed the battery and everything works fine. New high amp fuses are on the way...

Old 03-19-2018, 06:47 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
I just built and installed a new battery holder for that battery. I had to cut 1" of fiberglass to get the old battery out. I don't see how the factory got it in there.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote