Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC Savana
My husband is looking at a shuttle bus from a nursing home. Hadn't considered it till now. Not sure I like how low all the windows are but I'll see how yours looks all done.
I'll be watching!

MovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy 3500
Engine: 6.0L Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOn View Post
My husband is looking at a shuttle bus from a nursing home. Hadn't considered it till now. Not sure I like how low all the windows are but I'll see how yours looks all done.
I'll be watching!
I would love it if the windows were about 6 inches higher than they are...

Today I tried to get the rear exhaust manifold bolts out and I was not successful. Given that I do live in one of the rust states I knew the odds were against me, but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn. I just ordered a set of the manifold clamps that bolt onto the back of the engine block. I would make them myself but time is running down and for only 60$ they show up at my door....
Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:23 AM   #43
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork View Post

Alright here we go. This is Unistrut or Kindorf. Those are the two major brands that make the stuff so thats what people call it. (Just like all tissues are Kleenex). It comes in different sizes, typically 0.75" and 1.5" tall, whatever length you want, and the hole spacing and location varies based on the installation uses.

...(words)...
This is an amazing post, it's super helpful for people like me who just look at the wall all day long trying to figure out how to attach something.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:00 AM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgobus View Post
This is an amazing post, it's super helpful for people like me who just look at the wall all day long trying to figure out how to attach something.
Thank you very much. If you or anyone else would like more detail added to anything you see us doing please let me know.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

New battery for the engine and an isolation relay for the auxiliary battery were added yesterday.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Overall update photos from the past week.

got the exhaust manifold bracket clamps on:

Got the front trim and doghouse back together

hard to see under the cardboard but got the mattress in

And I got the seat frames made for the bench. Seats will be a little high because the heater had to be put in there but they should be alright. I have a few ideas for the tabletop that will lift up in the center of the bench. stay tuned.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:02 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Took the bus on its maiden voyage this weekend to the finger lakes. So far so good, we put on almost 200 miles and got more than 10 mpg so that was a great relief. Everything mechanical worked perfectly. We did get some misfire warnings from the check engine light so I put new wires and plugs on today. They were diffidently needed. I threw the bench together quick and put the seat belts on the wall so we could get everybody in. The seats are definitely too high but thats what we ended up with in order to get the furnace I have under there. Maybe one day it will change but for now it will be just fine, might have to make a could foot stands for the vertically challenged, but just fine. I also got the water tank to just barely fit under the bus so that was a relief.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:21 AM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Man I wish they made those exhaust manifold brackets for the 5.4 liter ford? Build is looking good.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
Man I wish they made those exhaust manifold brackets for the 5.4 liter ford? Build is looking good.
I believe they do, not sure if your engine falls into this year range but I know I saw a bunch in my searches. good luck!

https://kralautoparts.com/product/ex...-kap5-4-single
Old 05-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

I cut a chunk of the fiberglass out that will be hinged for access to the battery, got the old auxiliary battery and holder out, and made a new mount for the new battery out of the seat frames and some materials I had laying around.

Uni-strut for the bottom portion of the frame with some plates I had

Some angle pieces across the front with the nuts welded in for easy removal

Piece of threaded rod across the top to keep it from jumping up

Piece of conveyor belt to put under the battery

As it will sit on the frame - I ran out of time tonight

Old 05-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

if you have access to one, a magnetic drill and some hole saws make any frame mounting a lot easier

got the battery mount bolted on and the battery in. That thing is a pain to get up there.

I found one of these A/C units at the curb, it was full of hair, cleaned it out and everything works fine. I am going to split the unit and put half under the remaining bench seat and half under the bed.

started working on replacing the seats. The drivers seat that came with the bus is possibly the most uncomfortable seat I have ever used...

New seats are out of an 03 chevy truck. Shoulder straps are built into the seat itself so the passenger seat will be nice and tidy. I had to cut off 2.5" from the original seat mount and add some metal for the new seat to bolt onto in order to get the right height and location.

Next step is figuring out the passenger seat and how to make that move out of the way when it is not in use.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Battery install looks good. ( better than mine). Not following you on the A/C split install you spoke of. Maybe Chris will chime in for the A/C install. I will keep following your thread to see what your talking about.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:14 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
Battery install looks good. ( better than mine). Not following you on the A/C split install you spoke of. Maybe Chris will chime in for the A/C install. I will keep following your thread to see what your talking about.
Sorry, hopefully photos will help when I do it but right now everything is stacked up on the same frame. The compressor and condenser are on the bottom and the evap coil and blower are on the top. I am going to pull the evap coil and blower off of the frame so it will fit under one of my bench seats and put the compressor and condenser under the bed. Luckily I believe the hoses on it are long enough to make it happen. Otherwise I will sweat in the fittings to recharge it.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:29 AM   #54
Bus Nut

Can't wait..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork View Post
Sorry, hopefully photos will help when I do it but right now everything is stacked up on the same frame. The compressor and condenser are on the bottom and the evap coil and blower are on the top. I am going to pull the evap coil and blower off of the frame so it will fit under one of my bench seats and put the compressor and condenser under the bed. Luckily I believe the hoses on it are long enough to make it happen. Otherwise I will sweat in the fittings to recharge it.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:55 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Well a lot has happened so here are some photos to update. I got the passenger seat mount figured out, I built an overkill super bumper extension on the back of the bus with a hitch. This also has the box I am putting the propane tank in. A frame was welded around the side, back and top of that box to the extended bumper and that is where the grill will live while traveling, and when it is in use it will mount to the side. Sorry for the quick description but its time for sleep. Please ask if there is anything you need more detail on.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #56
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Have any pictures of how you mounted the platform to the bus frame?

This would make a killer shower platform using one of the tent showers.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #57
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
Have any pictures of how you mounted the platform to the bus frame?

This would make a killer shower platform using one of the tent showers.
The steel I used to extend the frame is 4"x 3" x 3/8" angle. Hopefully these pictures help a bit. The angle is on the bottom and side of the frame with grade 8 and 5 bolts clamping them together.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

grill skid is painted, I welded tabs over the other legs so this grill and skid are now one.

Welded supports in the rear platform to hold up the 5/4" board

This is our water tank, it fits right between the frame, but only in one place. and that place will put it about 3" from the muffler. Nothing a few aluminum shields wont protect....I hope. Glued on some rubber as a barrier between the metal and plastic. Getting fittings tomorrow.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:06 AM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

quick picture update, water tank with fill port, "hardwood" floors, inverter, solar charger, heater, passenger seat, rear lights, rear camera, bike rack designed and waiting for the paint to dry, back platform painted and assembled, rear lights in back bumper, trailer lights, water heater. I think thats it....

Old 07-23-2018, 11:42 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

sorry for the lack of updates, I got busy the last three weeks before we left on the trip getting the bus done. Since then we have been on the road for a month and have made it 5000 miles already. One day when I get some decent internet and some down time I will put up a bunch of photos. When the trip is done in a month I will go through everything we updated on the road that made our lives easier and give some tips and tricks that have worked out for us. Thanks everybody! keep working, keep building.