Old 10-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford B600
Rated Cap: 24
Bought a School Bus - now feeling overwhelmed...

Hi all,

We've been wanting to do this project for a while and finally pulled the plug and bought a bus. And yes, while we've been reading all the blogs about registration, insurance, builds, etc, it doesn't really strike you until you take ownership of the bus and reality sinks in. It's (very) exciting, but also daunting...

Here's the bus we bought - 1998 Ford B600 Shorty(25ft). 100k miles; Gas; 4-speed Automatic. Just came of school service and in excellent mechanical condition - got it checked out by a mechanic and also passed smog with flying colors. So, that part is very relieving. Now working through options to register and insure in CA (not easy for the conversion portion).

We want to use this bus as a way to our young family (3 boys - 5 year old and twin one-year olds) outdoors more often - want to make it weekend camper for the family.

We have lots of ideas on the build, but wanted to speak to some who have gone through this journey prior to understand the choices they made and answer some (likely) basic questions around air conditioning, electrical, plumbing, layout, etc.

Would anyone in this group be willing to have a 15 min call with us? if nothing it will reduce the anxiety to talk to folks who have more experience at this than we do. And we would love to talk to as many people as we can. We are on West Coast time and can be very flexible on when we could speak.

Thank you!!

Duleesha & Suellen
Duleesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Bus Geek
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Bought a School Bus - now feeling overwhelmed...

Welcome!!! --- Don't hesitate to post any questions on the forum. That way, even the "experts" here have a chance to learn something new.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #3
Almost There
Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
Hi, i have been working on my bus conversion on and off
For a couple of years now. Did you ever get the phone call
You had hoped for?

miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Almost There
Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 1160 V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 79
As a fresh owner (November '14) and current do'er, take heart! I was feeling overwhelmed, but as you go you'll start to break down the things you have to do, what order, what things you can put off, etc. I know nothing about electrical...chances are you might know someone! Just today u finished tearing out the ceiling... I thought it would take until 2019!

You guys will do great! This forum is a wealth of information & encouragement.

"Using our freedom to help gain theirs."

Helping victims & survivors of human trafficking regain their lives.
FreedomPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:33 AM   #5
I'm a journeyman electrician and I'm in california, northern specificly. I've got limited experience with low-volt systems, but I've been studying it quite a bit lately since I'll be doing my own system soon. Most of the techniques and principles apply. I could definitely help with questions, and maybe installation for cheap or barter if you were near me.
__________________ - 7.3L 4x4 Shuttle Bus Toyhauler conversion
headinthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Series 50
You can call me anytime. Being over whelmed at the beginning is normal. You're looking at the whole and it appears enormous. You just have to break it up into smaller task and do one or two at a time. Before you know it, it's all coming together.

By the way, all the men in my family are IBEW except me. But, they taught me everything they know, lol. And, it's really come in handy over the years!

Just send me a private message and I'll give you my phone number.
LuckyChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Year: 2003
Coachwork: ford
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3l diesel
Rated Cap: 11+driver
Any have info on what needs to be removed from a retired handicap (Ricon lift) 16 ft long school bus to fit the RV class. Its a Ford E450 7.l diesel 54K miles bluebird. Payed $15K. Still has all functioning swing out stop sign and overhead front and rear hazard lites. I need to know what needs to be added to fit the "RV" definition? Thanks in advance.
RANGER573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:53 AM   #8
Bus Geek
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Usually a kitchenette, bedroom, and restroom are sufficient. And of course, the removal of all the school bus only stuff.

I wonder if the OP still has the bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #9
Your post was reported. I thought no big deal until I read all your posts, All the same thing about selling your bus. Bye.
jcjoiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #10
Bus Geek
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Originally Posted by jcjoiner View Post
the only way is to get a wrecked motorhome and put it in. Lots of time and money. if you gonna use it you need 2 a/c. $2k, gotta have a 5k generator. $5K. etc. I did my 73 blue bird all American that way. My family had a bus business and I rebuilt it front to rear,new radials, put a 34ft allegro in it. gonna sale 11,750. Can't think of building one for that cost. got less than 15k on rebuild. regeared and it is fast and quiet jc 256 627 3951
Dude, the ac units are like a thousand for a pair. Generators can be had for 500-1500 all day long.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote