Old 04-22-2018, 12:03 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Well today I went out and began washing the bus in preparation for paint. I believe it's the cleanest it's been since I bought it. The lettering is all but gone on the sides; still working on the front and rear header and reflective tape. I fired it up and let it run a bit; the gauges all seemed to work today. I still plan to remove the dash and re-solder the joints anyway and check the parking brake light. I got half the roof washed since that's what I plan to paint first; I need to move the scaffolding to wash the other half and since that's a chore, I may just wash, sand, and paint one side at a time to minimize that.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:50 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
It's been a while since I've been able to do much with the bus. I went out last week to start it up - I let it go through it's pre-start sequence (remember, it's a T444E with glow plugs), spun it over, no start. No big deal, it usually starts on the second try. However, by the time I tried again - "Click, click, click". Batteries were weak. Since I've had the bus a year or so, and the batteries were of questionable age and condition when I bought it, I went ahead and got a pair of new ones (at $69.99 each, just under $150 for the pair, out the door.)

I put 'em in today and fired it up, let it run for a few minutes to run up the air pressure. After that, I got out the sander to work on the spray-painted sides. I got the sides sanded smooth (and most of the spray paint off), masked and primed the sides (I didn't do the entire sides, just where the lettering was). I finished removing the front "School Bus" lettering but still have a lot of adhesive residue to remove. The rear letting is still in place (spray-painted over).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote