Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800
Rated Cap: 34
Re: Buckeye Pair-a-Docs

Working on the pictures. Lot of work over last few weeks done. We have cut out most of the headliner. Few suggestions- don’t use a large angle grinder on the rivets, your arms and shoulders will hurt for days. Most know drilling doesn’t work well because the rivets will spin. My brother in law Jimmy found the easiest and fastest way: Use a smaller 4 inch grinder with a thin cut off blade. Cut a cross into each rivet and then go back and cut them off. Blades last pretty long and it goes surprisingly fast. About 2 beers per support across the bus. It's about 44 rivets in my bus.

Still having an electrical issue. Started to trace it into the engine compartment until I couldn’t feel my fingers anymore, will turf this to the mechanic. Also the turn signal lever was broke off by spaz Gary. Didn't work anyway, so that needs replaced.

Speaking of boats- My boat has a bunch of below deck storage compartments. I am thinking about doing the same on the bus. Weld in boxes between the 2 frame beams that run from front to back and cut hatches into the flow to access the space. The more I think about this the more I like the idea. Anyone have any comments.

Our friend Chris has used his connections to get me a new Coleman heat pump from the company as a demo unit. So I need to cut into the roof and weld in some supports for that. Everyone is thankful for that. The trip to Columbus was terrible, at least the first half. I didn't open one of the valves off the engine block enough, so we froze. One was a ball valve, one was a gate valve, I didn't pay attention and when I turned the gate valve, it seemed to stop after a quarter turn. I finally figured it out once we stopped for fuel, and it worked like a charm. The single heater warmed up the whole bus. (I tore out the auxiliary diesel heater and we are selling it.) That is up until Gary's beer spilled and the relay cooked again, then we lost the blower. It may have not really been his fault, but I'll blame him anyway.

The trip was a lot of fun, the bus was a little ghetto with the blacked out school names and "Go Bucks" spray painted across the side- wait till next year. It was a trip we won't soon forget, although a few may not remember it at all.

I plan to post a bunch of drawings and plans soon if anybody is interested.

Merry Christmas and have a safe and Happy New Year.

https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/index...es/PAIR-A-DOCS
cjgbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

OK- it's been a while. Still, some work has been done. My buddy Gary took the bus and had the floor sandblasted, so I am ready to paint again. I have finally finished all of the headliner removal. Hint here: Use a small 4 inch grinder and cut an "X" into each rivet using a thin metal cut-off blade. Then just cut the rivot. It works the best and is fast. The 7" grinder killed my arms and shoulders. And as Nick and Kevin discovered, drills, air chisels, and a host of other things don't work. I am not saying I told you so....but I did.

Now that I am back from NOLA and the Buckeye's won the Sugar Bowl beating an SEC team and my ski trip is over, it will be time to get back to work on the bus.

I did find that pointing my kerosene torpedo heater toward the door made it quite cozy to work inside, despite 10 degrees, snow and wind outside. I am pretty excited to start the floor and running the electric. I plan to skin a few of the windows, but that may have to wait untill the weather is a little better. I am still trying to decide how to run all of the AV cables to provide future expansion and the most flexible options for setting things up on gameday.

Pictures soon... really!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Subfloor and electrical

I finally finished painting the floor and now have most of the subfloor in. I started to frame out the head and began to weld in extra supports for the Coleman heat pump roof top unit and the flat panel TV's. Later this week I am going to mount some plywood with carpeting near the electrical lockers and start to mount the inverter, amps and other parts and begin to run the bulk of the electrical rough in. Finally some progress. Have a few picture and will upload soon.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Ford B-series AmTran
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L
Rated Cap: 65

which backup camera did you decide on?
headin2MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

I will check. I think I bought a sony stereo system with a video screen and the camera inputs into the stereo. Not close to installing it, so I havent looked at things for a while.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

One week to the first game and I am not ready!

OK, winter has come and gone, spring and summer for that matter, and I am no where were I want to be with my bus. So the new goal is for the Ohio State vs. Michigan game. The out side is all scraped down, but it is still yellow, the sub-floor is in, the head is framed out and there is at least 20 miles of wires and cables all over the place. It seems that way at least. I am still waiting for the cabinets to be finished and have to do all the plumbing.

I am looking for four reds lens for the flashing lights on the top to replace the current yellow ones. I am re-wiring them to flash OH-IO once we are stopped. If anyone has extras and aren't using them, let me know.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

I'm back!!! Buckeye Pair-a-Docs

I'm back. Football season has forced me to get back to the bus, I am only about a year behind schedule! The interior cabinets are in and we are finishing up the headliner and doors. I have installed most of the electrical, inverter, sound, TV's and stereo. With a little luck, we will be ready in the next few weeks. I doubt I will have the water and head operational or the frig's installed. Floor may have to wait, but by seasons end should be good to go. Working on some pictures... it's sweet!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

HELP PLEASE I am looking for four reds lens for the flashing lights on the top to replace the current yellow ones. I am re-wiring them to flash OH-IO once we are stopped. If anyone has extras and aren't using them, let me know.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

need to know what brand they are,look on the lens for a name ,,imay have them ,,,,just pm me ,,,mine are off o a B/B i also may have the whole lite.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Buckeye Pair-a-Docs

Update...

OK- First,thanks Keith, found the lens for the bus.

Woodwork is just about finished. Electrical is all in and everything is working. Blew a 2 farad capacitor on one of my amps, but stereo is in. I just need to finish putting the dash back together and finish the head. AC/Heater on roofs works great. I had to put in a larger breaker on the panel for the AC. On a sad note, my friend Chris Gavin who was able to get me the AC unit passed away unexpectedly last week, we will all miss him. Rest in peace brother.

The lighting is all LED and works great. I have a red/white LED fore and aft, 3 LED lights in the middle over where the table is going to go. There are 3 red LED's above the door, white LED's above the counters, and red LED's under the dash. There are LED strip lighting along each side of the bus under the cabinets- the color can be controlled, looks really nice.

TV's are almost in, somehow one was broken during all of this. I am also putting in a small one above the head, so there will be 4 total plus the stereo display. The ladder on the outside is installed and so is the VuQube- but I am still having trouble setting up the DirectTV. I added a HD antenna on the roof, it works well.

Big things to come include buying and installing the refrigerators, figuring out the floor, installing the composting toilet and finishing up all of the AV/TV stuff. Hope to get it painted next week. Diamond plate for the steps, cut out part of back bumper and weld in new folding RV steps, weld in support for water and holding tanks, plumbing, water heater and pump, tint windows and cover up last back window, lots of trim and little things to finish up- Wow, and I thoughtr I was getting close to being finished!

Special thanks to:
Kevin Stearns at Always Promoting who is going to embroider Buckeye logo's on the seats cushions once I pick out a fabric.
Steve Hockenberger at Gold Ribbon Trophies who made the custom pewter football helmets to replace the washers on the windows and who will be making pewter footballs for the cabinet handles!
Jim Gerhardinger and Mark for all the cabinet work...

Will be at the Michigan game for sure, hopefully can get it down earlier. Also may use it for the Central Catholic High School homecoming. On a side note, congratulations to my daughter Gina who was selected for the Homecoming court!

Check out pictures in the Gallery, I will post some new ones soon...

Old 09-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

The bus is painted, Interior is done, frigs filled with beer, registered as an RV with plates, 4 TV's; now I can't find anyone to insure it. Can anyone help?

Old 09-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #32
Bus Nut

I'm in Texas but I got liability only through National General.

http://www.nationalgeneral.com/

Might be worth your time to call them, I got mine on the phone not online.
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

Chuck, I was just checking out the pictures in your photo gallery. You are truly a woodworking craftsman. That wood ceiling is just beautiful! ALL the woodwork is beautiful!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #34

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Chevy G30

Chuck - I'm hoping to have the Octobus ready for the Michigan-Ohio game as well!

We should meet up, assuming you're wearing maize and blue? (wink)

Great work!!
CyPres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #35
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

Tell insurance companies it is an RV. In your case a Thomas RV (or whoever the company is). Be vague. Do not use the words bus or conversion. Worst case scenario is you'll have to find a broker to insure it at a higher price.

You could also try registering it as a commercial vehicle and get it insured that way.

It's a PITA. If I had to do it all over again I'd get it registered as commercial or a van. Mine is registered as a motorhome and they don't do commercial insurance on those. RV insurance is cheaper but it is just tough to find someone to insure it.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #36

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Chevy G30

@RUskoolietailgater:

Now that Rutgers has joined the Big Ten: November 7, 2015 at the Big House - Rutgers v. Michigan.

You bring the Rutgers Skoolie, I'll supply the tickets ...

Cy.
CyPres is offline   Reply With Quote