Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Tailgater Conversion

Welcome to the madness!

I really love the styling of the P30 chassis busses. There's just something about the lines of the front end.

I even toyed with the idea of getting one to be the tow-behind vehicle behind my pusher, but I just couldn't justify it.

I think you'll be quite happy with your bus. I look forward to seeing your conversion.

jim

baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Buckeye Tailgater.... IN PROGRESS

Hate to say it, but as a shopper, everything you've posted is a screaming warning sign to get your money back and find someone else.

Usually, this may be accomplished by calling your credit card company and explaining the situation. They can put a "hold" on the charge amount from that company. And... since some companies have time limits on when they will pursue fraud, communicating with your credit card company right away is key. They are just as unhappy when dealing with bad companies as bad customers, so call them first thing! If they can't help you, then fine. But if they can, you'll be ahead in the long run (and maybe the company will catch a clue and have better service).

GOOD LUCK!
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Bus Nut

BBQ'd Trojans...

I see a whole chicken being cooked on the BBQ, Then decorated with a small football helmet and pennant/flag on a toothpick.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Bus Nut

What did you use to do the grinding? An actual grinder with a large wheel? Or a grinder with a sandpaper buffing wheel? Or something else? You guys did an excellent job!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Bus Nut

...B**ch and you shall receive.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
Bus Nut

You did well, but you didnt b**ch enough. A master would have gotten a discount on top of the can.

Sorry, couldnt say that without laughing. Yeah, if you complain a little, you generally get stuff. Try it when your cellphone or tv or some other service is almost up. Tell them that you are thinking of switching to another company and they will give you stuffs to keep you there.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 6.5l
Rated Cap: 19

yes it's looking good.
sec234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2L GM
Rated Cap: 19

Looks great! The stripe all the way would have been cool, just like the helmet, huh? I wanted flames on mine originally, but I settled as well.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

are you mounting the generator or just carrying it?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Bus Nut

The decals TOTALLY make the bus look super professional. Great job!

What paint did you use to spray the seat cushions? I'd be a little worried that the paint will come off on whoever sits/leans against them. Curious why you didn't just use a different color fabric/vinyl?

Congrats again on a fine looking paint job.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Very nice upgrade!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

The diagram is too small to read, and when I copy it to my computer and blow it up, the resolution is too grainy to make out. A couple of things I do see:

1. How are you charging your "aux" battery bank? There is no connection to the alternator, except through the connector of the device at the top left. I can't make that out. If it allows current from the alternator to charge the aux batteries, then it will also allow current from the starting batteries to charge the "aux" batteries when the engine is not running, unless there is a voltage-sensing disconnect similar to a Charge Guard. If you join the two banks together at this device, you have in effect one bigger bank, and can expect to run the starting batteries down with the aux batteries.

An isolator would be a good addition. The alternator output goes to the middle, and each end connects to one bank. The rectifiers inside an isolator charge the weaker battery bank until the banks are within less than a volt of each other, and then charge both together.

2. I don't know off the top of my head whether #8 wire to the device and then to the "aux" bank has 120-amp ampacity, but unless the device between the battery banks employs a current limiter, pushing 120-amps of charging current through "30-amp fast-blow fuses" is going to cause a lot of blown fuses. If the "aux" batteries are discharged more than the starting batteries, all the current will seek the weaker batteries.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucks614
...I am now leaning towards getting two Yellow Tops (deep Cell) to go with the two red tops I have for starting...
If I understand you correctly, you are using two Red Tops to start the bus, and you want two Yellow Tops to power the rest? As much as I like the idea of Optima batteries, I checked out some Yellow Tops and found that for over double the price of Trojan 6V batteries you only get 55 amp/hours of capacity per Yellow Top. The Trojan batteries have 225 amp/hours and while you need to have at least one pair to get 12V, the pair will provide more than double the capacity of a pair of Yellow Tops. Something to consider. I had to explain it to my brother a few days ago because he thinks that Optima's are the best thing ever because you can store them upside down and inside out or whatever. I would rather have capacity than gimmicks.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
Skoolie

Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

When RU joins the Big 10 I am hunting you guys down when we go out to the shoe.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
Skoolie

Nah, there are two tailgate lots at RU that allow RV's with no problems. My buddies and I donated enough money to most likely get into one of them. Our plan for a few Saturdays is to park in the lot on Friday night, go out and party at RU and then sleep in the bus and wakeup for the tailgate the next day. I can't wait haha.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

OK, the Magnum Smart Battery Combiner joins the batteries when the voltage on the primary batteries rises due to the presence of charging voltage. Good deal. Please note that the device has a 25-amp rating, and the drawings in the manual show the charging source as a Magnum inverter-charger. You cannot just substitute a 120-amp alternator for the lower output of the inverter-charger.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE connect the unit in the configuration where it is switching a heavy-duty solenoid, as shown in figure 2-6 on page 8 of the unit's manual. Otherwise, you will be repeatedly blowing the 30-amp fuses, or burning out the Smart Combiner if they don't blow. Thank you.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Much better, but look at the manual drawing again. In the solenoid application, the Magnum serves as a sensor and solenoid controller. The MAIN POS terminal serves as the charging voltage sense input, so the added REMOTE SENSE wire is not needed.

The purpose of REMOTE SENSE in the 25-amp configuration is to prevent the controller from acting based on lowered voltage at the MAIN POS input due to high charging current through the resistance of the wire and terminals feeding it. With the charging current going through the solenoid, this voltage drop is not a factor. The REMOTE SENSE is optional (though recommended) in the standard installation, figure 2-5 doesn't show it installed.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #18
Skoolie

How did the interior pads being painted red turn out for you and what did you use? We're using our stripped bus seats for cushions on our couch and originally I was thinking of stitching red felt on them but they'd probably rip. I thought about painting them but then figured it might feel weird to the touch and the paint could crack from people sitting on them.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #19
Skoolie

How did the carpet go for you in your bus? Did it get messy? We were thinking of buying the cheap astro turf carpet instead of laminate flooring.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360

What did you use to fill the holes on the floor???
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote