Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Buildin' is more fun than fixin'

If you build-say-a kitchen, you get that good feeling of having something you didnt have to begin with. If you have to go thru a big effort JUST to be able to use your bus, its nowhere near as rewarding. Well i just went thru one of the latter.
Last Sept., I was going to the vintage races at Watkins Glen NY. I was going up a rather steep, long hill. I had left it on cruise control at 65. Once i crested the hill, I noticed a skip. It didnt go away. And there was much more smoke out the exhaust than normal. Wether it was a burnt valve or holed piston, it didn't mater-the motor had to come out. Since my bus was a former hotel shuttle, its 240k was probably all back + forth to the airport 15 miles away-and god knows how many hours idling.
I found a 100k mile motor on CL for $750. And even though i was tempted to just drop it in, I decided to go thru it. ( I work at an automotive machine shop.).
I put in new rings-main + rod bearings-all new valves + a couple of guides-surfaced the heads. I even had to buy a heavy duty engine stand to hold the weight.
After trying all winter to find somewheres indoors to do the swap with no luck, I was forced to dig a 12'x12' hole + get a concrete pad poured.
I pulled off everything i could in the impatiant week I had to wait for it to set up, I pulled off whatever i could.
It took 2 of us about 3 hours to detatch everything to get the old lump out. I ended up making a lift plate that bolted to bolt holes where the fuel bowl + fuel pump go. There is very very little room to go up to clear the oil pan sump.
It looks roomy with no engine.
The install was complicated by a caster wheel on the engine hoist decide it didn't like 1200lbs hanging. I had to use a floor jack under that corner.

After a few damp weeks trying to get something done after work + weekends, i finally got it wrapped up. Only about 100 miles on it + I can feel it loosening up + rings seating.
I got a 3 gauge pillar pod now. EGT-boost + tranny temp. Hauling 12k lbs up hills at speed -without an intercooler-has got to put the EGT's to the moon> Just on it break in ride to work + back, I already saw 1200 degrees.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Buildin' is more fun than fixin'

Good to hear she's running.
Why are egt's so high?
Excess fuel?
That would be typical for a lot of boost and fuel....but your stock?
I bet she is fun to drive though
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Since this is the 1st I've run with a gauge, I don't have any idea what "normal" is. The injectors are one step up from stock (Beans "tranny savers") .
The 1200 came as I was on cruise on a 2 mile gradual incline-maybe 10 lbs of boost.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

I've never done a Ford front stuffer but I have done a couple of Dodges--I FEEL YOUR PAIN!. The cruise control on my PU always shifts down a couple of gears when I leave it engaged at 65 on a steep grade and the RPMs sky rocket. I now shut off CC just before the grade and use my foot. The tranny may still shift down one gear but none of that "I'm gona go 6K and blow up" nonsense.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
If you build-say-a kitchen, you get that good feeling of having something you didnt have to begin with. If you have to go thru a big effort JUST to be able to use your bus, its nowhere near as rewarding.
I hear you brother! I just spent a couple of months going through my rig, though nowhere near as in depth as you just did. Seemed like every time I thought I had the mechanical stuff sorted out another gremlin would pop up. I'm hoping I have everything fixed now (fingers crossed).

Did you ever figure out whatcaused the skip in the original motor?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

No-it just got pushed in the corner for now. Had to move on to the race car + other projects.

From reading Ford diesel forums, 1200* is the high side of normal. Problem between the van + truck is the lack of space for an intercooler in the van.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
No-it just got pushed in the corner for now. Had to move on to the race car + other projects.

From reading Ford diesel forums, 1200* is the high side of normal. Problem between the van + truck is the lack of space for an intercooler in the van.
So you're saying you'd rather work on a race car than a dirty, nasty, wrung out old diesel? what's wrong with you? Wish I had space enough for a spare 7.3L