Mini-Skoolie

Cool build! Definitely following
marbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford E-450
@marbury Thanks, and thanks for following along!

Small updates this week. Cleaned and primed the chair rails and blacked out the rear windows and last set of side windows. To black out the windows I used this 3M vinyl (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007P6R78A/). I admit, it's not the cheapest but it's really forgiving and easy to apply. The back portion of the bus will be walled off, and store my solar setup / be the "garage/trunk". Now that the windows are blacked out, I'll caulk them up and insulate. I with blacking them out versus replacing them with sheet metal because I really want to keep the original look of the bus. From the outside it looks completely original even though these windows are 100% blacked out.

Anyone have any ideas for where I could purchase an original OEM floor liner / mat for my rig? I'm thinking with everything else re-done, it would be nice to have a fresh new floor in the front as well. 2005 E450 Super Duty.

mattbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:18 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Good luck with that. IF you can get a Ford dealership to find the listing (it exists), it's approximately $600. Many E-series owners are looking.

This guy replaced with carpeting from HD...
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Replacement Vinyl or Carpet for the Cab?

Good luck!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:18 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

@BusFiend, thanks for the link! I did manage to track one down from a dealer but it would be over $500 like you said. That carpet looks great, though I'd rather something a bit more weather resistant if I can.

I pulled out the current liner, glad I did too because I discovered quite a mess of rust. So I'll be cleaning and priming this while I look into cover options. It looks like there are some pliable carpet type of materials that are used in boats and whatnot that might work well. I'm afraid traditional carpet would be too rigid to form around some of the contours.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #25

Getting that size bus also. I have a quick question. In terms of registration for license plates. I'm inderstsnding that you have to change the registration of the bus from commercial bus to RV. So that means you have to bring to the highway patrol and have them inspect your rig for highway safety. What I was told it must have place to sleep, cook and bathroom to qualify. Is that true? How are you doing your registrations, you guys?
BigPapaDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Every state is different. Here in Ohio, I just had to sign a paper that stated it has bed, water,table and toilet with no inspection at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaDirk View Post
Getting that size bus also. I have a quick question. In terms of registration for license plates. I'm inderstsnding that you have to change the registration of the bus from commercial bus to RV. So that means you have to bring to the highway patrol and have them inspect your rig for highway safety. What I was told it must have place to sleep, cook and bathroom to qualify. Is that true? How are you doing your registrations, you guys?
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
In n.c. I have been insured and registered as a bus and don't plan on re-titling as an RV even though I am almost fully converted?
A normal driver's license usually covers a person up to 26,000? My bus is rated for 25,500
I do have a lot of friends that drive dump trucks that complain about there air brake endorsements when a bus driver doesn't have to have any but they are carrying a heavier load.
To re-title as an RV I need to have a way to store meat(fridge/cooler) a way to clean up after meat(sink/bucket of clean water and one plastic bin for washing and one for rinsing)and a way to cook food,(bag of charcoal).
I am way beyond that but I still want to be registered and insured as I am because even if I change to an RV insurance status the payout is still for the year model that I have unless I go antique in 5-years which means (just like RV status) that if/when something does happen that you still only get less than what you have in it. You will never get your sweat equity out of any part of your build insurance wise. So why upgrade to RV status? To pay more to the state and insurance every month? My license and my local school system hire drivers every day with a normal license to drive children to school so why can't a bus converter drive it without kids in it?
Mine has 7-seat belts that I added so that my kids/family could sit in any of the seats I provided while going down the road?
Most mini-vans hold more than that and don't require crazy insurance?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:59 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Wow NC is tough. Here in Ohio RV plates and insurance are cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
In n.c. I have been insured and registered as a bus and don't plan on re-titling as an RV even though I am almost fully converted?
A normal driver's license usually covers a person up to 26,000? My bus is rated for 25,500
I do have a lot of friends that drive dump trucks that complain about there air brake endorsements when a bus driver doesn't have to have any but they are carrying a heavier load.
To re-title as an RV I need to have a way to store meat(fridge/cooler) a way to clean up after meat(sink/bucket of clean water and one plastic bin for washing and one for rinsing)and a way to cook food,(bag of charcoal).
I am way beyond that but I still want to be registered and insured as I am because even if I change to an RV insurance status the payout is still for the year model that I have unless I go antique in 5-years which means (just like RV status) that if/when something does happen that you still only get less than what you have in it. You will never get your sweat equity out of any part of your build insurance wise. So why upgrade to RV status? To pay more to the state and insurance every month? My license and my local school system hire drivers every day with a normal license to drive children to school so why can't a bus converter drive it without kids in it?
Mine has 7-seat belts that I added so that my kids/family could sit in any of the seats I provided while going down the road?
Most mini-vans hold more than that and don't require crazy insurance?
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #29

Year: 1990
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: Bussette
Engine: chepy350
Rated Cap: 1
My vote would be to leave that ceiling alone. It looks like a serious pain in the ass and the insulation looks brand new! Why bother?...never mind just saw ur pics lol!
NoVacancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:16 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

As others have already said, the registration seems fairly different state by state. I currently have mine registered as a "commercial bus for personal use" or something along those lines, which is the only option in NY until it's converted to an RV. I will be re-registering it as an RV when the conversion is done though, the RV insurance will be much cheaper than what I'm paying now. I'd say just call your local DMV and insurance company, they can explain what all is required pretty quickly!