Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #161
Almost There

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford E-450
Brought in the mattresses and got some storage bins for under the futon. Installed the passenger seat belt, and went for a 2-hour drive just to make sure the bus is running good. Hopefully taking the first real trip next weekend.

mattbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #162
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbus View Post
Brought in the mattresses and got some storage bins for under the futon. Installed the passenger seat belt, and went for a 2-hour drive just to make sure the bus is running good. Hopefully taking the first real trip next weekend.

that's looking good
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #163
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Great looking seats! The sleeping area is also real nice. Let us know how the shake down camp out goes.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:08 PM   #164
Almost There

The maiden voyage was a success! Had a relaxing two nights camping on Lake Ontario.

I still haven't re-installed the floor liner upfront, so I ordered some sound deadening mat to put down first and then I think I am going to clean up and re-install the original vinyl floor mat. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012B5EMGO/

Aside from that, things I'd like to do but don't really need to do are...

-Hot water heater (plumbing is ready, just need to buy one)
-Solar panels (have everything besides the panels)
-Build some shelves / hooks for storage in the trunk / garage
-Awning (would be nice, but not a priority)
-New stereo / head unit (Apple CarPlay would be awesome)

Old 07-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #165
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbus View Post
The maiden voyage was a success! Had a relaxing two nights camping on Lake Ontario.

I still haven't re-installed the floor liner upfront, so I ordered some sound deadening mat to put down first and then I think I am going to clean up and re-install the original vinyl floor mat. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012B5EMGO/

Aside from that, things I'd like to do but don't really need to do are...

-Hot water heater (plumbing is ready, just need to buy one)
-Solar panels (have everything besides the panels)
-Build some shelves / hooks for storage in the trunk / garage
-Awning (would be nice, but not a priority)
-New stereo / head unit (Apple CarPlay would be awesome)

Awesome!! Glad you made it back and had a good trip! I also just had a maiden voyage. Yours is looking great! I'm thinking of going with the gray shade of paint like you did. Good luck with your next additions!
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #166
Almost There

I was wondering if the bike rack I have for my car would work on the bus, and sure enough, it works perfectly on the rear door! I can still open the door with it on too, which is nice. It's the Saris Bones rack if anyone is wondering, pretty handy to have one rack that can work both on my car (hatchback) and the bus.

Also put in the hot water tank, which is an electric Bosch 2.5 gallon tank I got on Amazon for $150. I installed it under the sink for now, but I might end up moving it to the trunk at some point. It should be able to give me a 5-minute shower, and if I'm stopping the water while I lather up should be able to get a full shower out of it. I plan to only turn it on / heat it up when I'm getting ready to take a shower. I tested it out briefly and it was putting out hot water within 5-10 minutes of turning it on. It's under 1500 watts too, so it can be powered solely off of my Goal Zero Yeti 3000 if I'm totally off the grid, but I'd definitely be plugged in when possible. Here is what it's pulling with the hot water tank on, water pump running, and the roof fan running as well. Pretty close to the rated 1500 watts of the inverter.

Still need to strap it down, tie in the drain valve, and I'm going to look for a bucket/tub to have it sit in just in case a leak does happen. For the moment though, it works and no leaks!

Old 07-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #167
Almost There

@Frochevy Thanks! Yeah, I think the gray is alright, just looking for something as low profile as possible. Tan or sand kind of color would have been my other choice.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:14 PM   #168

This is a great build. Fantastic job! I’m new to the skoolie world and have changed directions to build a shorty bus. I need something to tow a car to autocross events and a built wrangler to offroading events and stay in. This is almost exactly what I would like to do. The futon bed is a great option for a bed couch combo. ����������������
CarJunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #169
Almost There

Installed 3 x 100-watt Renogy solar panels on the roof, wired in parallel. The wiring was pretty much all plug and play with my Yeti 3000 and its built-in charge controller. I mounted them with the standard Renogy brackets, and VHB adhesive tape first before the self-taping screws. Cables run into the bus through a Blue Sea CableClam. I think I'll be fine with the 300-watts, but I do still have room for 3-5 more panels on the roof if I ever decide to get crazy with it. Or possibly just getting an additional portable panel for when I'm parked in the shade.

Had another outing last weekend as well, really loving the whole setup and super happy with the layout and everything about the bus. The only downside to a nice weekend getaway is all that free time to think about all the upgrades and cool gear I should buy next...

Old 07-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #170
Almost There

Awning installed! This is an ARB 2500x2500, which is a little over 8ftx8ft and originally design to mount to van/jeep roof racks. For mine, I drilled a few holes through the mounting plate and bolted it directly to the bus at the uprights just above the windows. I also added a nice amount of Liquid Nails for good measure. It's a really sleek package and super easy to setup.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:38 AM   #171
Mini-Skoolie

Wow pretty slick canopy. Bit small but looks way better than the RV style ones! Might have to add it to my TV list.

Edit: just did reasearch on the awning it's a good price! and the accessories are cool! Screen enclosures, or you can make it basically into s tent!
Bpjr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:21 PM   #172
Almost There

@Bpjr07 Yeah it would have been cool to get something that went the length of the bus, but after setting it up, 8ft is plenty for me. I got it on sale for $275, so for a brand new awning, you can't really beat the price. The accessories are pretty cool too!
Old 07-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #173
Mini-Skoolie

How do you like the bathroom?? I'm planing on doing one pretty much a like you have it, in a 4 window.. anything you would do differently? Sorry to copy just the best layout I have seen!

How is the natures head? Do you or will you use it even with bathrooms on the campground? Ideally is the nature head a direct replacement for a real toilet for a weekend camper?

Heard many people say "they try not to used their bathrooms/ showers unless they really have to.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:22 PM   #174
Bus Nut

This has got to be the best shorty build I've seen on here. Well done! This is good motivation to finish my own project.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #175
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpjr07 View Post
How do you like the bathroom?? I'm planing on doing one pretty much a like you have it, in a 4 window.. anything you would do differently? Sorry to copy just the best layout I have seen!

How is the natures head? Do you or will you use it even with bathrooms on the campground? Ideally is the nature head a direct replacement for a real toilet for a weekend camper?

Heard many people say "they try not to used their bathrooms/ showers unless they really have to.

We have a similar plan, and also have a shorter 4 window skoolie. The big difference is that we're putting our composting head (DIY, not nature's head, so it can fit perfectly and ergonomically in the space) in the shower over the drain pan. Unfortunately we don't have the head room to stand (at least I don't), so it'll be a sitting shower kind of thing--except for when we're out in the mountains, and we can just stick the shower head out the window.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #176
Almost There

@Bpjr07 The bathroom is good, it's a bit tight for sure but totally functional. I've been using the Nature's Head and the shower on weekend trips, even though there has been a bathroom nearby just to see how it is. Honestly, it's fine it doesn't smell at all, and although it's not quite as comfortable as a home toilet, it's not like I'm hanging out in the bathroom all day anyways. I could totally use it full time, but if there is a clean restroom nearby, I'd probably just use that in the future. The shower is a bit cramped, and I do have to duck a little bit (I'm 6ft), but it gets the job done! All said though, it's a totally usable bathroom, just not a spacious one.

@TheArgobus Thanks man! Not sure it's the best, but I'll take the compliment!
Old 07-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #177
Mini-Skoolie

Nice I'm getting one. Some camps I go to only have the hole in the ground toilets no plumbing..

I will probobly divert the urine to the grey water tank I heard many have successfully done it with 1/2" pex. To the nearest drain with no smell too. Would hate to have to dump the pee bottle in the middle of the night!

Can be safely mix with grey water and it actually has fertelizer properties.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #178
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
That is SO not kosher!
Despite being yellow, urine is categorized as being black water, meaning it's just brimming over with pathogens.
Grey water is what drains from your shower, sinks, and washing machine (if so equipped).
That's it.
Technically, if you're in the habit of pissing in the shower, it should be drained into the black tank.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:33 PM   #179
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
That is SO not kosher!
Despite being yellow, urine is categorized as being black water, meaning it's just brimming over with pathogens.
Grey water is what drains from your shower, sinks, and washing machine (if so equipped).
That's it.
Technically, if you're in the habit of pissing in the shower, it should be drained into the black tank.
That depends on your habits and what you are drinking?
i can drink beer all afternoon and pee clear several times before i go to bed and get up in the morning and pee yellow.
when camping
if i drink water before going to bed i am up in the middle of the night to pee on the ground although it is clear just not kosher to hear the squeaky bus doors open in the middle of the night ?
you can let the ground filter it and use an outdoor shower enclosure for a dual purpose enclosure with a bucket if need be.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #180
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
That is SO not kosher!
That's it.
I do my research before I post anything up here even double check it so I wont put wrong information and mislead someone else.

Pee is sterile, actually has less bacterial then tap water.- google it before saying its "brimming over with pathagens."

Well I guess you never peed in a bush or let your pets pee on grass?

reasearch on multiple composting toilet websites is where I found out it was safe to do,

long as you keep urine separate of feces its sterile, and if its diluted even better and has fertelizer properties for plants.

This is for me to dump in my lawn at home probobly 20 gallons of grey water consisting of wife's and I weekend use water, some biodegradable soaps and around 2 gallons of urine.