Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Calling out all the Step Van builds

After a bit of time away, and other projects completed and out of my way, the time has FINALLY come.

I have soooo much stuff gathering dust and packed away for a year+ for this build, and I am stoked to get started. I have made a final decision on vehicle choice, and as u guessed from the title, will be a step van. I dont really need a lot of why this or that, as I have done a TON of due diligence with this choice. I have debated pros/ cons, headaches, and work arounds. But here is where I start:

I am currently, and actively shopping for a 14' or 16' step van. I would greatly appreciate any members help in locating the "right" one. I have a few priorities and some wish list items to be considered in that search. While the TYPE of vehicle has been determined, not ALL items are etched in stone, and that "gem" step van does not HAVE to have all the items I want. Sometimes we just gotta work with what is available.

Musts:
14'-16' no shorter, no longer, period.
Fairly low miles/ good mechanically
NO RUST/ light surface rust maybe
4BT engine I will need reliability and MPG's more than cheap fixes

Prefer:
Factory cab AC I know, seriously hard to find, hence the prefer, not must
Upgraded alternator Can always swap out myself
Clean Body/ Frame No holes/ panels cut in aluminum body
Metal roof, not plexi etc

My budget for the vehicle stands around $6k, can stretch a bit more if it is required.

So, any members with leads, or local sales, feel free to post here. I am currently searching a few auction sites, CL, eBay, and local papers and dealers. I would like to have the vehicle by New Years and work on through the winter.
Thanks for any and all help, this thread is just for the search of said vehicle. Once I have my Step Van, I will create a thread dedicated to the build alone.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Update:

Also, anyone care to post links to current or completed Step Van builds would be appreciated. As would anyone with detailed measurements of the cargo area of 14'and 16' Step Vans(they vary a lot by manufacturer). IE: Bulkhead behind driver seat to rear wall, Sidewall to Sidewall, Height, Rear wall to wheel well, etc. I have 3 "floorplans" that I like drawn out, but not 100% sure how each would work on different model Step Vans. Would be awesome to know if I should focus on a specific Brand over another. Thanks again all!!!
Old 09-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Not a ton of details but these guys have a bunch of diesel step vans for sale.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d...971648097.html
Old 09-27-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Appreciate the link Brokedown. Will have to contact them and see if they have any 14-16" 4bts with air con. And if so how much$$$$$
Old 09-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Here is a strep van I have for sale, 2002 workhorse brand (GM drivetrain) approx 17 feet overall length, aluminum body, translucent fiberglass roof, AC (Not working) Wil cruise at 75 on the highway at 2400 rpm. The. Stepvan I almost bought years ago had a bt4 Cummins swapped into it, top speed was 55 on flat ground and with the general lack of anhh sound insulation in older step vans,, extremely noisy
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Here is a strep van I have for sale, 2002 workhorse brand (GM drivetrain) approx 17 feet overall length, aluminum body, translucent fiberglass roof, AC (Not working) Wil cruise at 75 on the highway at 2400 rpm. The. Stepvan I almost bought years ago had a bt4 Cummins swapped into it, top speed was 55 on flat ground and with the general lack of anhh sound insulation in older step vans,, extremely noisy
Was there supposed to be a link attached?
Old 09-28-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
Bus Nut

17' over all? Is that like a 10'er? The length listed...10,12,14,16,etc are measurements from the partition just behind the driver seat to the rear wall.The "cargo" area. That is how they are listed. A 14' step van is actually closer to 22'-24' over all length. So that one is just too short. As far as 4bt's top speed being slow, that is a trans problem or rear end. Not trying to bash ya, but 4bts can easily top 200-300hp with fairly minor upgrades. Paired with the proper trans it will cruise at hi-way speeds well, and sip fuel compared to any gasser. I admit the insulation and sound proofing, not to mention the rattle rumble on them are REALLY bad. But proper use of high temp Dynamat, as well as good insulation, and use of carpeting, pleather(fake leather) will kill 80% of that.
I plan to make this as comfortable as my house. If I had the $$$, I would seriously just buy a Step Van brand new, to my specs. But that would be stupid $. I appreciate the offer on that one tho.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
The picture I forgot to add
Attached Thumbnails
20190928_170934.jpg  
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Nice looking ride, just too small for my project. Hope you find a good home for her tho