Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Cargo Space - Blue Bird CSFE conversion

Hey Inevitable --- shoot me a PM. Maybe we should get the other Houston area bus & conversion nuts together for a chat, coffee, Corona, whatever. Heck, we could form our own local Skoolie chapter! I'm meeting with Cargo Chris tomorrow and gonna run over to Rice for a quick peek. Will have to take my camera and add more pix to the story.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

I'm jealous. I want to be a part of your local conspiracy too--is Oxnard too far? J
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Not a problem...just jump on the bus! We'll keep the coffee warm for ya.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Hey Inevitable --- shoot me a PM. Maybe we should get the other Houston area bus & conversion nuts together for a chat, coffee, Corona, whatever. Heck, we could form our own local Skoolie chapter! I'm meeting with Cargo Chris tomorrow and gonna run over to Rice for a quick peek. Will have to take my camera and add more pix to the story.
Oh great...a Houston Skoolie "gang".....now I'm jealous I did quick math while filling my wine glass.....4 days and I think I could be there.
I think Ole T could beat me there by a day or 2
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Howdy All --- had a great little gabfest with Colin & Chris. Talked insulation, rust, engines, rust, welding, rust...the usual conversion topics. Was good to meet some other locals with similar dementia. Any and all other Houston area converters are more than welcome as we plan to get together again from time to time. Feel free to PM me and I'll put you on the Guest List for whatever comes up next.

The Blue Bird Skoolie Mobile Art Residency Project ( B.B. Smarp?) that Chris has underway just got a nice little write-up in the Houston paper on Monday. For those of you wondering just what it was all about, the link to the story is below. Brilliant concept that is off to a great start and getting cooler by the day.

Hint...it now even involves "...what I like to call, the LASER". Meanwhile, here's that link...

http://www.chron.com/default/article...#photo-4007678
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Tango, how cool is that!? I hope you can become a part of it--your creative abilities would sure be a benefit to them. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Thanks Jack --- I'd be happy to share my mistakes with them. Chris & his crew are very capable and the news article has already garnered national interest from several art groups wanting to be a part of this effort as well. And the "LASER" thing hinted at is very cool too. They have an architect who has volunteered to do a full body laser scan of the inside, outside and underbelly then create a full wire-frame model of the whole bus. From there they will be able to cad/cam plan every nut, bolt & toilet down to about a millimeter or so. Should be a fun process to follow.

So when are we going to get scanned? Somehow my yardstick and pencil suddenly feel inadequate.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS FE
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25
FREE PRESS and FREE paint

It's been a while since posting here -- working on the bus, and life in general has kept us away. We've been keeping up with posts via our blog at thecargospace.com, however, so I hope that some of you will check it out. The weather in Houston is prohibitively hot right now, so reconnecting with Skoolie is perfect indoor work. I've continued to lurk on skoolie as we have questions relating to our renovation of our bus. We've made quite a bit of progress. Not as much as I would like, but more than most expected, I think.

Although this interview in Free Press Houston has little practical information, maybe some of you would be interested: http://www.freepresshouston.com/unca...e-cargo-space/

One idea that I think would appeal to the serious DIYers on this forum is the way in which we got our bus painted... for free. Now, granted, we still need to paint our roof, but the body of the bus was painted for free by local graffiti and street artists. Many have gotten involved because they believe in our project, but a few got involved simply because they want the opportunity to (legally) paint a transit bus. The paint job we received has been tremendously popular. Our campus is pretty conservative, but despite this, we're constantly getting interrupted in our work with compliments. I don't know how this will translate to the open road, and how welcome we'll be everywhere, but for now, it seems like a really good idea.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Hey Chris --- love the paint work! Great to hear you guys are moving along.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks much! Let me know if you'd like to come over and look at our progress. I'd also like to see the progress on your project!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #31
Bus Geek

I'd love to take a peek. Maybe it's time for another gathering of the Skoolie Clan here in Houston. Might you be around anytime this weekend? And, BTW, the bar we met at last time (ReHab) will be closing/moving soon with all the appropriate musical & alcohol related fanfare one might expect. Such festivities are not to be missed. Best no-cover live music in town.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Yoo.....Yoo..."T"... non of that Houstoniannnn gang talk now....unless we get PICS!!
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Hey Tango - I sent you an email. Let's get together soon.

I continue to update thecargospace.com as the project develops. Friend us on Facebook for all the updates.

The heat here in Houston has been atrocious, all but killing forward progress for about a month. However, we've made some real progress in the past few days and now the bus is in the shop for its inspection, and perhaps a new set of tires. When it's back, we'll finish knocking out water and house electrics, and take her for our first shake-down cruise to see what pops off or snaps.