Old 09-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #11
Bus Geek
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
No reason to use aluminum for the roof extension. It would be more trouble than good.

However 3/16th aluminum angle would be great for building the roof deck frame. Just be sure to isolate it from the steel to avoid galvanic corrosion.

Super strut is a bit heavy for what it is. It was not made for mobile uses.
I would get some channel formed up at a metal shop from 14 gauge sheet steel. Have them make it to the same size as the original support ribs (channels) in the bus.

If I was you, I would just raise that section of roof, and not bother with all that folding stuff you mentioned. It sounds like a leaky mess waiting to happen.

Center of gravity will not be a issue as long as all you water tanks and other heavy objects are kept low at frame height or lower.

More than one member here have raised their entire roof to 12 feet. The bus body does not weigh as much as you think.

Also, please stay with metal sheeting on the outside. Wood has no place on the exterior of a bus. Think of what would happen if a piece of cedar came off and hit a car behind you. Also the metal is what locks all the framing together, making everything strong.

I'm looking forward to pics.

"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #12
I am not really set on super strut by any means, the weight info was just easy to get off of HD site. The hat idea is probably the best from a strength/weight standpoint.

Good point on the wood. It could be secured but as it degrades it becomes an issue.

The roof will not be opened up under it, it will just have a hatch that goes into it.

When it comes to leaks it seems that as long as it fits together nicely and has seal material between each layer it will be ok. Yes with the added complexity comes risk of leaks but I have no doubt that that can be overcome. 90% of the roof will still be intact so most leaks would result in water ending up on the bus roof, which would run off.

The reason that we do not want to raise the roof is that it would be nice to have it much higher when parked than would be possible with a permanent raise.
75GMCCadet26 is offline   Reply With Quote