Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Cheap screen doors for buses

Ptooti’s great window screen idea inspired me and I found two cheap and convenient ways to screen our bus doors as well.

The Snavely Instant Screen is a single screen that attaches to the top of the door frame and hangs over the doorway. It doesn’t seal tight like a rigid screen door but should keep out most of the bugs.

http://www.snavelyforest.com/shell.asp? ... endoor.com

The second one I found is the Phifer QuikScreen. It’s much like the Snavely screen except that it’s split up the middle. If you have dogs this one may be a better choice since they can just plow through instead of trying to figure out how to get past the single “pane” screen door from Snavely. Both run about $20.

I bought the Phifer screen (mostly because I found it first) and will do an update when I’ve used it for a while.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Ford Eldorado / Aerotech
Chassis: E350
Engine: Ford 7.3 Gasoline
Rated Cap: 11
Re: Cheap screen doors for buses

Hi Roach I did pick up a screen for my door in walmart for about $14 it is made by this company
http://www.sg-adfors.com/Brands/NewY...ScreenCurtains
it's got the same picture of the Lady with the dog in the doorway on the box
Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

You can buy the Phifer one at Home Depot. Our store has some in stock. I think they are around $20.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

you can also buy the fiberglass screen in bulk and weight it and sew it up yourself, like any fabric.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
you can also buy the fiberglass screen in bulk and weight it and sew it up yourself, like any fabric.

I thought of doing that, but by the time I picked up the screen fabric and a decent spring curtain rod I would have spent almost as much as the boxed screen cost and I'd still have to find some sort of weight and some small, low power magnets for the closure. There've been times when I "made my own" and it cost me more than just buying off the rack would have. When I first got the bus bug I cobbled up a 30' 10 gage extension cord for the bus, the wire alone cost me almost as much as a commercially made cord would have and the ends cost almost as much as the wire did. Now I'm careful to price out the parts for my copies. Making my own extension cord didn't make sense but building my own battery cables saved a lot.