Thanks a lot! This clears it up for me!
Unfortunately, as I just wrote in MrBlah's thread, I'm not sure I'll be going the skoolie way.
I just contacted the branch of government regulating transportation (SAAQ here) and they told me that I can either register the minibus as a personally owned minibus, which means a special driver permit, mechanical inspection every 6 months and more expensive matriculation. Otherwise, I can do a full RV conversion (I was more going the campervan way), but here they ask for quite a bit :
- Full kitchen : stove, fridge, counter, sink and table
- Sleeping area
- Complete washroom : shower or bath, fixed toilet with evacuation system
- Electric system separated from the bus system
- Propane system with certificate of proper installation
- Drinkable water tank
- Grey water tank
- Water-heater (seriously?!)
- Heating system independent from the bus system
- At least two seats (with seatbelts)
- At least as many seats (with seatbelts) as the sleeping capacity (max. 9)
Also, seats and seat belts must be bought new
. Here's the reference for posterity (Heavy Vehicles Converted into Motor Homes | Road Safety | SAAQ
Anyways, with that extensive list, I'm not sure I'll be going this way in Quebec. I'll have a quick look to see what's the legislation in Ontario and see if it wouldn't be easier over there...
Thanks a lot for the information so far! It might not get used, but it still really helped me learn a lot!