Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #1

Design Stage: Audio/Video Studio & Home in Short Bus

Hey, I'm new here. Nice you meet you New Here. Actually, you can call me Hoppy.

Anyways, Hi! I'm an audio video guy from Vermont. I do voice overs, create radio ads, mix and master audio, edit video, and create informational YouTube videos for a living. My family has instilled the travel bug into me (road tripped America, URail'd Europe, been to S. Africa, New Zealand, S. Korea, etc. and my sis has been to all 7 continents before age 30). So, you could say I'm crazy about 2 things: being creative and traveling.

In an attempt to combine those interests, I've started designing a bus conversion to live in and work out of. I'm a very simple guy, don't mind roughing it (Eagle Scout), don't need a restroom (hippie with a Planet Fitness membership), don't have many physical possessions (minimalist lifestyle). So, a short bus or shuttle seems to me would fit all my belongings and needs.

I've budgeted $15k for the bus, renovations, and loads of solar. Totally off-grid. Will do all the work myself, and 90% will by DIY furniture/storage systems. Looking for a 1998-2003 E450 7.3 diesel.

Here are some screenshots of a design I worked up in SketchUp. Sure would love some advice and comments from a community such as this one! Hope to be joining the Skoolie crew in the next year or so.

ErikHoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Looks pretty cool. I'm gonna have to learn to use that SketchUp.
Short buses are pretty cool. The fullsize shorties are more robust, but I do like the van chassis buses too.
Welcome to the forum
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E350
Engine: 6.9 Diesel
Welcome Hoppy! I'm pretty new myself. With that kind of budget, I think you will do great. I got my bus at an online auction for less than $1.5k. Seats were already out, so that saved a ton of demo time and effort. I'm going to put a shower/toilet combo, sink and work table on one wall and a couple seats out of a minivan along the other wall. Bed will be in the back. Not going to do a floor or insulation. At least not right now. I'm doing mine with a minimal budget!
JoeyBigBlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:00 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Be careful playing that vintage Jensen over the road! Don't wanna' scratch any vinyl!

Looks good.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:52 PM   #5

Greetings, I too live in Vermont near Jay. I like your ideas you've shared. Gonna start work myself on a GMC Cool Bus! Love to share ideas!
AtlantianAngel is offline   Reply With Quote