Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Mini Bird (8 window)
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24 +1
Do you remember your 1st angle grinder

I just got my first angle grinder and getting to it on the bus.

What fun!

Vireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I have a Craftsman 7" angle grinder from the 60's that was my grandfather's. I've had it for over 30 years now. A few years ago I also added a 4 1/2" Porter Cable to my tool chest. I also have a 240V, 25 gal Craftsman air compressor that was also my granddad's. The old Craftsman gear seems to last forever, with reasonable care and maintenance.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vireo View Post
I just got my first angle grinder and getting to it on the bus.

What fun!
GREAT thread!
I still have and use my first angle grinder. Bought it in 2003 when I got a bus and needed to get the seats out. Just a cheap Hitachi. Its held up really well and has seen PLENTY of use!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Do not use cheap inferior cutoff wheels!

I know of one friend's personal injury and there's an Internet pic of 1/2 a cutoff wheel sticking out of a guy's face (I'll let you search for it at your own discretion)

$2.00 or $3.00 more for a quality cutoff wheel is worth every penny.

My 2 cents
Old 07-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Do not use cheap inferior cutoff wheels!

I know of one friend's personal injury and there's an Internet pic of 1/2 a cutoff wheel sticking out of a guy's face (I'll let you search for it at your own discretion)

$2.00 or $3.00 more for a quality cutoff wheel is worth every penny.

My 2 cents
Love the annihilation factor of a grinder!

I bought a harbor freight cutting wheel and one exploded. Remind me if ever i forget to always wear safety shield when cutting or grinding!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:56 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Mini Bird (8 window)
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24 +1
Cool, I got the most expensive wheels, didn't think this was the place to skimp. I got a 4.5" DeWalt, seems pretty hefty I also got the best rachet and basic sockets I could too. My first real tools. This is all very new to me but life is all about new experiences and learning Done for tonight, but I'll post pics when I get some seats out tomorrow!
Vireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:13 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
cutoff wheels? am I doiung it wrong? I been using 1/4" thick grinding wheels.. and im on my first wheel.. i only use cutoff wheels for cutting and not grinding off bolts like for the seats... i been using cut-off wheels as ive been cutting metal and such to build ductwork and take out parts of interior panels etc.. but for seat bolts I been using 1/4" wheels to grind off the bolts... then i go under the bus with my air impact and spin the bolt remain out of the hole then fill the hole up woith silicone and rubber plug top and bottom.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Since HF was mentioned... My buddy was using an HF disk that blew up in his face. Small fragments required trip to ER.

To this day... I start my power tools facing away from me, or anyone else.

Even my table saw, I start the blade with none of my body in line with the blade.
(School Shop Class lesson)
Those carbide tips can and will come off.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
cutoff wheels? am I doiung it wrong? I been using 1/4" thick grinding wheels.. and im on my first wheel.. i only use cutoff wheels for cutting and not grinding off bolts like for the seats... i been using cut-off wheels as ive been cutting metal and such to build ductwork and take out parts of interior panels etc.. but for seat bolts I been using 1/4" wheels to grind off the bolts... then i go under the bus with my air impact and spin the bolt remain out of the hole then fill the hole up woith silicone and rubber plug top and bottom.
-Christopher
I'll switch them out and use the wheel for the job...
So far, I've been able to unbolt all my cot bolts. All Grade 5, so I wanted to keep as many as possible.

Edit:
And I'm too old to remember my first angle grinder!
Took me a minute to remember my first girlfriend
Old 07-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
-Christopher
I may have brown eyes, but I had a 30 year veteran windshield installer tell me that 100% pure silicon can actually promote rust on bare metal... Apparently, it's acidic.

Had a '69 Nova when I was a kid... It had the clipped & pinned chrome bezel around the windshield, and rusty as hell! Because previous owner had filled the gaps with silicon.
Cleaned it all up, primered it, and sealed it all with Butyl Rubber. Got rid of the car instead of the wife (now ex)... Still kicking myself, shoulda kept the car.

And I'll fill all my motorhome holes with Butyl Rubber.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Google search results...

https://www.google.com/search?q=sili...UTF-8&hl=en-US
Old 07-20-2016, 06:56 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
I may have brown eyes, but I had a 30 year veteran windshield installer tell me that 100% pure silicon can actually promote rust on bare metal... Apparently, it's acidic.

Had a '69 Nova when I was a kid... It had the clipped & pinned chrome bezel around the windshield, and rusty as hell! Because previous owner had filled the gaps with silicon.
Cleaned it all up, primered it, and sealed it all with Butyl Rubber. Got rid of the car instead of the wife (now ex)... Still kicking myself, shoulda kept the car.

And I'll fill all my motorhome holes with Butyl Rubber.
well looks like I got some nasty tedious digging ahead of me now it seems... im not sure how to get the silicone out of the holes.. fortunately ive not done too many of them.. and a couple are underneath an A/C unit whiuch just plain wont be touched as im not tearing down the bus to find 2 holes..

-Christopher
Old 07-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
well looks like I got some nasty tedious digging ahead of me now it seems... im not sure how to get the silicone out of the holes.. fortunately ive not done too many of them.. and a couple are underneath an A/C unit whiuch just plain wont be touched as im not tearing down the bus to find 2 holes..

-Christopher
If it's critical... I'd just drill all the holes back out. If it's cured, it'll crumble around the drill bit. Sweep it up, vacuum it up, and move on.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:12 AM   #14
Almost There

Bought a cheap $9 Harbor Freight angle grinder several years ago. I'm a mobile diesel generator tech. I have used and abused that grinder. I use it for everything. Have a braided wire brush for cleaning gasket surfaces and such. Flap wheels and cut off wheels for fab work. I have gotten it sooo hot that it barely was turning. I bought another as a spare in case this one fails. It's still in the box in my work truck never used. I've had other Dewalts, Craftsman ect. They all quit on me but not this HF grinder.
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #15
Almost There

I also only exclusively use HF cut off wheels and flap discs ect. Cheap and accomplish what I need. I was cutting some thick steel for an access panel and I ran out of cut off wheels. My co-worker went to a close by Sears Hardware and got me some cheap cut off wheels. Cost 2x as HF and didn't seem to work any better. Also most of my "good tools" were stolen several years ago. My company's policy on your tools is they won't replace if broken, stolen, lost, ect. I don't want the hassle or cost to insure so I just buy HF tools except my Fluke meter and Dewalt impact. I would rather buy American made but it's hard to find anything made here anymore!
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #16
Bus Geek

ive got a mixture of tools... my garage tools are craftsman just bnecause I can beat the $#^%&% and if they break, they get replaced...

the tool-kit that lives in the bus is built from HF.. just because im out less if they get stolen...

-Christopher
Old 07-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
My first grinder was some kind of generic "tool shop" brand or whatever. It lasted about 25 minutes. I just threw it in the trash because I should know better.

The replacement was/is a Dewalt, and I'm sure if it had a mileage gauge, it would be in the 4 digit range. I find myself looking for excuses to use it.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

I'm on my third angle grinder in 40 years. Makita, Milwaukee and Milwaukee again.

I have the second Milwaukee in the drawer. i might rebuild it for a back up or dedicated one for a cup brush.

Years ago I went to an abrasive vendor to get new grinding wheels. The counterman suggested I give a Pferd cutoff wheel. i was sold!!! The last time I went to buy cutoff wheels I goofed and bought a box of non-Pferd wheels. Cheaper but sure haven't performed as well. When the box is gone I'll get Pferd again.

This is the wheel I use:

PFERD 63102 Type 27 Depressed Center Cut-Off Wheel 4 in x 3/32 in x 5/8 in 46 Grit Aluminum Oxide | Dillon Supply Company
treenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
If it's critical... I'd just drill all the holes back out. If it's cured, it'll crumble around the drill bit. Sweep it up, vacuum it up, and move on.

got lucky! I looked at the can of stuff im using and its a rubber compoound with no silicone listed in its formula!..

the silicone has been used to patch a few cracks i nthe rubber floor material but that touches plywood and not metal...

-Christopher
Old 07-24-2016, 12:39 PM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47
I do some welding/manufacturing as a side business and use them pretty hard. I have had real good luck with Makita. I rarely cut with an angle grinder as it is an expensive way to do it. Leave the guard on and wear a face shield when you use cutting wheels. I normally buy 4 1/2 inch grinder wheels from harbor freight and they are fine, I don't have an opinion on the cutting wheels. Don't bother buying chop saw blades there, they are horrible. The 14" dewalt high performance blades are well worth the money. I stock up on them on sale for $7.

I have had some good luck with some harbor freight items but the cheap orange angle grinder was not one of them. I do buy a lot of stuff there, my wife and I call it, "one time tool".
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote