Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Question Doing the unthinkable to the high-top?

Hey all.

So I'm curious if anyone has more experience with fiberglass high tops than I do? I want to cut into mine, the same time I do my fan install, to maximize the headspace available. I just want to cut HALFWAY into the support beams where the dotted lines are around the fan, and I would screw in wood supports all around the rectangle where the blue lines are. I'd be taping the fiberglass to minimize splittage, and cutting long strips on a diagonal out of the support beams from the hole where the fan goes on both sides, but not actually cutting through the roof other than the solid red lines. I included a rough idea of how the cuts would be positioned, but it's not a great image as it's hard to find pictures of a high-top sawed in half. Can I or should I blow it with fiberglass or caulk it with something special after I make the cuts? Should I screw the support beams around the cut area before I begin to help support the temporary weakening?

Is this going to totally compromise my roof? Why or why not? Do you have a better idea? (Please don't suggest 'buy a different van' - this is a non-starter. I'm a creative problem solver, not a start-overer.)

Secondarily curious if anyone has tried putting a solar panel on a tilt mount on a fiberglass top - it's quite curved in the middle so would teeter-totter well!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191103_114048.jpg   IMG_20191103_114048(1).jpg   Capture.PNG  

LoveBusTreatery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

#beendone

Sorry for the delay guys, I've been -1 computer for a few months now. Here's the update, it went down really well and I'm super happy with how it turned out.

Get creative, that's what it's all about. Now I have perfect amount of headroom for myself to stand while cooking, dressing, even enough room to do (no hands over my head) yoga!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200117_095054~2.jpg   IMG_20200117_095145~2.jpg   IMG_20200117_095023~2.jpg  
LoveBusTreatery is offline   Reply With Quote