Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 12:37 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: E-450 Collins
Engine: 7.3l Diesel
E350 vs E450?

Hey all,

I have recently been looking at E450s but a friend of mine was saying that an E350 would make registration in Oregon much more difficult and would be much harder to find someone to work on as it is a bus more than a van.

I have been looking at 7.3 L engines but I wasn't sure about how much different they were between the models. It was my (limited) understanding that the main difference between the models where chassis weight capacity.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

jmccoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccoola View Post
Hey all,

I have recently been looking at E450s but a friend of mine was saying that an E350 would make registration in Oregon much more difficult and would be much harder to find someone to work on as it is a bus more than a van.

I have been looking at 7.3 L engines but I wasn't sure about how much different they were between the models. It was my (limited) understanding that the main difference between the models where chassis weight capacity.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
It's my understanding that the 350 is a 1ton vehicle and the 450 is a 2ton vehicle...Idk...good luck

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #3

Year: 1991
Coachwork: collins super bantam
Chassis: super bantam 20 ft
Engine: 7.3 idi 72,000mi
Rated Cap: 6+3wc
stick with the smaller bus if you want easier insurance, fixing, parking in tight spaces, and registration, etc. or jump up to the bigger size and carry more gear, twice the gear, twice the cost, twice the fun.
seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Coach & Equipment MFG
Chassis: ford E350 superduty
Engine: 5.4 liter v8
Rated Cap: 7 passenger
my E350 bus has a title that was conveniently marked van,... the vin also came up as a van when the insurance co. ran it beyond that registration and insuring was a matter of letting the dmv and insurance people draw their own conclusions from paperwork presented and not offering too much information (the clerk at the dmv didn't like me and was looking for a reason to give a hard time,.. couldn't)
Old 03-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
The E350 and E450 are the same base van body with different GVWR ratings. The 7.3L engine and trans will be the same for both.

The main difference will be the bus body. The school bus version will be all steel and the shuttle bus version may be fiberglass, aluminum or light weight steel.

Our E450 24' with a fiberglass body has a GVWR of 14050 lbs and an actual weight after conversion of 12000 lbs. The E350 will have a lower GVWR but I have no idea how much lower.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: handy
Engine: e450 6.0
you'll love it...

buttercup is an e450 with a 6.0 diesel...6.0 has a bad reputation, but most problems derive from overheating...watch carefully, treat her like the lady she is, and you'll be very happy...inexpensive insurance through safeco @ 15k miles/year...as a private bus...and @ 24' no cdc license required.
stone21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: E-450 Collins
Engine: 7.3l Diesel
Thanks for the input!

I think at this point its a balance of prioritizing short term or long term goals: I will be living in the city for the next few years and will want something smaller but I also kind of want the power to haul my outdoor gear and other lifestyle shtuff. I'm definitely thinking bus body over shuttle, just trying to figure out size.
jmccoola is offline   Reply With Quote