Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings and I have full respect for engineers and there thoughts and opinions and always follow there design idea.
99.5% of my work and knowledge is all federal/base construction and the other 5% is building state wastewater treatment facilities. Going on 25-years now and I like some of the new methods like tilt up wall panels and solar water and have even done some rainwater harvesting. Now I am getting to tear out a lot of steam stations that I cut my teeth on 20-yrs ago to install natural gas boilers (cause they just got it here) but I already new the problems with steam? Not 20 -years ago but the maintenance nightmare.
I just passed up a govt construction inspectors job almost handed to me because I was Leary of getting off of my tools?
I know it is more paperwork and computer mess and that ain't me?
Gotta have my hands and head into something but they want my head and my fingers typing?
Wish you luck on your endeavor.

Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #42
Bus Geek

TWIGG, I just realized wher your at?
I was born and raised in east Texas and our few family vacations were to Brokenbow OK and Hot Springs ARK. And the only reason we went to hot springs was to fill up gallon jugs of pure spring water out of the hot springs that had welled up and they stuck it up on the streetsin fountains of hot water. Both beautiful places if you have never been there?
Our well water at home was straight from a sulphur spring.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #43
Bus Geek

This one keeps bothering me?
Don't know why?
I don't weld much anymore unless it's my own stuff cause my eyes are burnt out?
But anything and everything I or my men do on the job are x-ray certified and not just spot checked?
Jolly Roger AARGH?
Old 11-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
TWIGG, I just realized wher your at?
I was born and raised in east Texas and our few family vacations were to Brokenbow OK and Hot Springs ARK. And the only reason we went to hot springs was to fill up gallon jugs of pure spring water out of the hot springs that had welled up and they stuck it up on the streetsin fountains of hot water. Both beautiful places if you have never been there?
Our well water at home was straight from a sulphur spring.
We are in Owasso, OK. Been here, or close to here, for about 14 years.

This Forum doesn't have a "like" button, something that helps take the edge off comments.

It's helpful, I find, to like a comment you are replying to, and I normally would.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #45
Bus Geek

I am kinda computer challenged so this forum is about the only thing I do besides look up equipment specs or e-mail suppliers/manufacturers?
I do even personally tend to be straight forward?
People that don't know me? Hate me? And the ones that do? Either tolerate me or love me? Not to many on the latter but it's simpler that way.
Sorry e350 for hijacking your thread?
Carry on and good luck to all.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:28 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Man I had no idea this was going to turn into such a big discussion. No need to apologize to me, My feelings arnt hurt. I agree with almost all of the points brought up thus far.
Truckinduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:10 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Transversely, We had a clown that used to be on this forum who claimed to know everything and couldn't back it up. Lots of misinformation he would spread. (nats-ster). At least that piece of paper is a good first impression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
To me? Sometimes a certification is just a piece of paper?
I have worked with over certified people that still don't know and or can't do the job they are certified for but they are hired to be over you because there stack of CERTS say they are the best around.
To me hands on knowledge and years of experience are better than a certification but for some of the things we do require that piece of paper. And some of my younger men I encourage to hang out and give them stuff to do in the field to gain more experience before they go for a certification.
Kind of like?
I have never dealt with an engineer straight out of school that could answer a design problem in the field over the phone,e-mail with pics or even a sight visit. And some with many years of experience that can't? But you can always tell when your talking to one that has had actual hands on field knowledge.
And back to the welding?
Shop,bench top,solid flooring is a completely different world when your on top of a 10-12' ladder with nothing to hang on to or laying down in a mud hole with the bottom of your weld inches from your hood and all the Sparks and slag are going down your collar are even walking steel 60' up with nothing but your own legs to hold you steady after you pull your hood down and that's where the actual hands on experience comes in.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:14 AM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
No one like gnats!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Towed my trailer fully loaded this weekend. Everything was going fine for about 15 miles on the highway. Randomly the bus shut off for less than a second at 70 mph. it immediately came back but when it did I noticed a big lack of power, (engine) and it wouldnt shift right. About 20 seconds later the power started coming back but the bus wouldnt shift until almost redline. When it did shift it was extremely violent with no slippage at all. I have an OBD2 scanner gauge, ( It reset when the problem occurred) but I never saw a CEL.

I pulled over and checked the battery connections and everything was tight. Once I shut the bus down and fired it back up it ran 100% normal again. Im baffled.
Truckinduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Almost sounds fuel related?
Like a fuel line collapsing?
A filter gummed up and I have even seen one collapse inside of the housing.
I had a 2010 f250 that would act like that. Loss of power wise anyway and I would have to stop and drain the fuel water separator.
Almost weekly and it never set off the engine light or the water in fuel light?
Good luck