Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #181
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,195
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Yeah, I wish I'd covered mine. We makes our choices and pays the price.
Well it can always be done later if need be.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:15 PM   #182
Bus Crazy
 
Stu & Filo. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vacaville, Ca
Posts: 1,611
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Yeah, I wish I'd covered mine. We makes our choices and pays the price.
So are you having leaks you didn't have before??
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #183
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
No, still no leaks. I was broken into twice through the top hatch. I'm still working on a way to secure the hatch when I'm not here.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #184
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,195
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Got my steel cut, ospho'd, and tomorrow I'll prime it.
Got a 30" piece of 16ga for the hatch, and two 15" squares for the factory passive vent and "power vent". Shouldn't have any more leaks after this, and as a bonus I'll have a powered roof vent I can use even in the rain!
Got some 3m 550 seam sealer at Autozone for cheaper than even amazon!

After this its on to the body work, and probably some cooling system mods and maintenance.

I'm still feeling good about changing the oil. I've got some HotShots oil additive on order at Tractor Supply. Should be in next week.
After changing it and driving it around 400 miles its still pretty clean looking and the level is right where I filled it to.

Can't wait to paint it, get a hood ornament, and some new mudflaps!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #185
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 9,700
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I should maybe cover mine.. I thought I might open it for ventilation.. but then today, here it was nice outside and I ended up opening a few side windows and the driver window and once again forgot about opening the hatch..

I could probably cover the top and then still use the interior bezel ring so the ceiling doesnt look like crap..

are you going to weld it in or just rivet it and use the seam sealer like crazy?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #186
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,195
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I should maybe cover mine.. I thought I might open it for ventilation.. but then today, here it was nice outside and I ended up opening a few side windows and the driver window and once again forgot about opening the hatch..

I could probably cover the top and then still use the interior bezel ring so the ceiling doesnt look like crap..

are you going to weld it in or just rivet it and use the seam sealer like crazy?
-Christopher
gonna re-use my trim ring like you're saying. Planned on that since it would look stupid without something there.
No welds on this, it'll be riveted and yeah, seam sealer will be used. I'm also probably gonna reseal all the roof seams and go ahead and paint the roof since I have a new pint of flat white Rustoleum ready to go. That will help keep it a little cooler when its sitting in the sun.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #187
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 9,700
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
that white roof makes a Huge difference.. at least on Red the white roof is a huge improvement even over the tan / beige roof of DEV

ill be watching how you do your hatch so I can do mine.. I dont need the ventilation (if its real hot like yesterday I just use the air) and can definitely do without the leaks

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #188
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,195
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
that white roof makes a Huge difference.. at least on Red the white roof is a huge improvement even over the tan / beige roof of DEV

ill be watching how you do your hatch so I can do mine.. I dont need the ventilation (if its real hot like yesterday I just use the air) and can definitely do without the leaks

-Christopher
Depending on what kind of ceilings you have, we may be able to find some material to make a "ceiling" panel to go in the trim ring and totally hide the patch other than the trim ring being there. Could even throw a bit of foam board up there for a lil insulation!
I'll gladly help you do it, and I've got the rivets and steel. LMK, man. Can also do that undercoating.

Yeah the white roof should help a lot and will look nice too. Dave did his roof in flat white and the temp difference was TOTALLY noticeable. Even verified it with IR.
I may even go all out and look for a satin clear to go over the white, but IDK probably overkill.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:59 PM   #189
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 9,700
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
or even go with a reflective type paint if you can find some decent deal.. I should BUS-KOTE or similar the DEV ceiling .. flat white with clear is probably just as effective and alot cheaper. my ceilings in Red are the perf ceiling... but really i could put a piece of foamboard on the metal and any kind of plastic or such then put the trim ring on.

could even do something cool with it like use a translucent plastic panel and put strips of LED lights above it.. have some kind of funky limo-style color changiung light panel.. LOL

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #190
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,195
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
or even go with a reflective type paint if you can find some decent deal.. I should BUS-KOTE or similar the DEV ceiling .. flat white with clear is probably just as effective and alot cheaper. my ceilings in Red are the perf ceiling... but really i could put a piece of foamboard on the metal and any kind of plastic or such then put the trim ring on.

could even do something cool with it like use a translucent plastic panel and put strips of LED lights above it.. have some kind of funky limo-style color changiung light panel.. LOL

-Christopher
I think BusKote is 99% marketing. Its not really any different than any of the 5 gallon buckets of white elastomeric roof paint at Lowes/HD. turns yellow after a little while unless you clearcoat it.
Flat white is the most reflective paint you can buy. Pot growers know all about it!

I love the idea of lights in the hole left from the hatch! I may HAVE to do that now! THANKS!!!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.