Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #11
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,754
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'm going to try all you said, Chris. And i'll definitely take you up on that offer of helping adjust my fan clutch.
But the temp runs PErFECT except once its revved over 2300 for any duration. Could be tranny heat?
Will see what the water wetter does, for science. Summer is coming and any cooling help will be a real good thing.

edit- my temp gauge goes from 100- 230.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 10,242
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm going to try all you said, Chris. And i'll definitely take you up on that offer of helping adjust my fan clutch.
But the temp runs PErFECT except once its revved over 2300 for any duration. Could be tranny heat?
Will see what the water wetter does, for science. Summer is coming and any cooling help will be a real good thing.

edit- my temp gauge goes from 100- 230.

FYI my bus does the same thing... 2300 or above and my temp goes up.. then my fan goes crazy off and on to hold it below 210..

at least in 85 degree weather thats what it did.. when i first got it, it would run up to close to the 230 mark if I didnt slow it down...

your fan clutch looks new so im thiniing its good..

you have the gauge I wish I did.. but then I read my temp from the computer because i found my gauge on the dash is a bit inconsistemt and somewhat inaccurate.

tranny heat is what im wondering too.. though ive not seen my trans temp gauge go over 160 yet.. and that matches the temp gunb readings I get.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:39 PM   #13
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Since it isn't huge, I may spray it. But a roller job can look REAL good, too.
I'm probably gona do the usual- rustoleum with a hardener. Will likely go with a satin clear coat to help keep the paint from fading as fast from the UV rays.
I believe that the "roll and stiple" technique used on boats will work just as good as spraying. A bus surface is not as smooth as a car, basically roll and stiple is one person rolls on the paint and the person behind smooths it out with a brush. If you use foam brushes then get the high quality ones. This also has the advantage of using less paint and less air pollution. I always recommend that people talk to a mfg paint rep for free and often they will come and take a look at your bus. Oil based paint lost its advantage about forty yrs ago, yet many people will use it out of tradition or familiarity, where as latex paint is more durable, can be painted over oil, but not the other way around. Often you can even get paint free from the mfg rep if they are doing a large industrial project they will have hundreds of gallons left over from the job.
Bluespoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,754
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespoet View Post
I believe that the "roll and stiple" technique used on boats will work just as good as spraying. A bus surface is not as smooth as a car, basically roll and stiple is one person rolls on the paint and the person behind smooths it out with a brush. If you use foam brushes then get the high quality ones. This also has the advantage of using less paint and less air pollution. I always recommend that people talk to a mfg paint rep for free and often they will come and take a look at your bus. Oil based paint lost its advantage about forty yrs ago, yet many people will use it out of tradition or familiarity, where as latex paint is more durable, can be painted over oil, but not the other way around. Often you can even get paint free from the mfg rep if they are doing a large industrial project they will have hundreds of gallons left over from the job.
I can get rustoleum for $24 a gallon. I'm not a fan of latex. Water based paints are the worst. Oil based is more durable.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #15
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I can get rustoleum for $24 a gallon. I'm not a fan of latex. Water based paints are the worst. Oil based is more durable.
I am sorry EastCoastCB, not trying to put you down, but what you said is just ignorant. The company I worked for sprayed about a millions gallons of paint a year and I was the painter for my dept. Certainly rustoleum will do an ok job esp since it is on a bus, but it is inferior to latex and that is simply fact and any paint chemist will tell you so, but personally I like free paint better,
Anyone can say any ignorant thing on facebook, I recommend that you talk to a mfg rep which has no cost and often will inspect your rig for free to boot. Personally I am happy for you to use any paint system you like, if you like oil which you obviously do, then oil it is, but to say it is superior is just ignorant.
Bluespoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #16
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,754
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Its my opinion. I'm free to it. I'm not painting wood. I'm painting buses, and for cheap with good old oil based.
Screw that water based crap.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,754
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If I were going to go with anything other than oil based enamels from hardware stores, I'd go get some cheap single stage automotive stuff. Which I may actually do on the shorty, since I could probably get it into some sort of paint booth like setting.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #18
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Its my opinion. I'm free to it. I'm not painting wood. I'm painting buses, and for cheap with good old oil based.
Screw that water based crap.
It is your opinion I am NOT trying to stop you from using oil based paint, but it is an ignorant opinion and ANY PAINT CHEMIST OR PAINT MFG REP WILL TELL YOU SO.

We NEVER used oil based paint in the shipyard, our customers never asked for it and we were the largest private shipyard on the west coast. I didn't get my information from a guess. Everyone will paint with what they want and that is fine with me, but to propagate fake news may make you presidential, but not truthful.
Bluespoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #19
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,754
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespoet View Post
It is your opinion I am NOT trying to stop you from using oil based paint, but it is an ignorant opinion and ANY PAINT CHEMIST OR PAINT MFG REP WILL TELL YOU SO.

We NEVER used oil based paint in the shipyard, our customers never asked for it and we were the largest private shipyard on the west coast. I didn't get my information from a guess. Everyone will paint with what they want and that is fine with me, but to propagate fake news may make you presidential, but not truthful.
Just go on somewhere else with all that negative bs. Thanks. BTW- nice "fake news" catch-word useage.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #20
Bus Nut
 
superdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: hills of sw virginia
Posts: 889
Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespoet View Post
It is your opinion I am NOT trying to stop you from using oil based paint, but it is an ignorant opinion and ANY PAINT CHEMIST OR PAINT MFG REP WILL TELL YOU SO.

We NEVER used oil based paint in the shipyard, our customers never asked for it and we were the largest private shipyard on the west coast. I didn't get my information from a guess. Everyone will paint with what they want and that is fine with me, but to propagate fake news may make you presidential, but not truthful.
the best paint around was oil based paint with lead. they have been trying to make water based paint as good as oil based for 40 years. yes there are some great water based paints out there and i use them every day. no paint lays flatter on interior trim than oil base, nothing looks better or last longer. oil based paint with a hardner is a good choice for this application, there are others.
__________________
living in a bus down by the river.
my build pics
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...albums942.html
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.