Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #571
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 9,240
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd put a few bids in on this bus-
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...=1&acctID=9831

But its sat a lot, has a ton of miles/hours, an at545, low headroom, and leaf springs... So I bowed out at 2000 or so. Mechanical dt466. But still not worth what it went for, IMO.

does it seem to you like this year there arent as many busses hitting the market? seemed last year like it was flooded with busses.. really nice ones.. this year alot of what i see are non runners or rust buckets... and others are jacked way up in price when they do sell.. even shorties
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #572
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,199
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
does it seem to you like this year there arent as many busses hitting the market? seemed last year like it was flooded with busses.. really nice ones.. this year alot of what i see are non runners or rust buckets... and others are jacked way up in price when they do sell.. even shorties
-Christopher
IDk, I definitely think the supply of good buses is starting to show signs its definitely drying up a bit.
Another thing- maybe the dealers and exporters have used their financial muscle to eliminate the auctions and buy whole lots outright?

I know every time a really RAD bus pops up on GD or PS no one seems interested and then a week later someone will be searching for that "elusive" bus. If I had half the money of most of the members on this forum, I'd have some really cool stuff!
I still lament the fact I couldn't get that mobile pet bus that sold a few months back in FL.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #573
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 9,240
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
that pet bus anbd the few bookmobiles that have come along are super nice!!

the other busses that are showing signs of starting to get old are the 'Big Red Bus' Bloodmobiles?? that I see all over the place.. those would be some nice units to get hold of when they retire..


it could also be the schools are so fed up with the new stuff they are cleinging to pre-08 stuff as long as they are lawfully allowed..

my neighbor who is board pres says the fleet manager is really frustrated at the age of their fleet (70% newer than 2013) and how many units are down at any given time for stuff they cant service, that has to go to the dealer.. most of their short busses are little bluebirds similar to mine (all have bigger tires and a mix of engines).. but are 13+ years old and have a much better in-service record than the new ones.. the shorties are run more than the others.. they have much larger routes..

there is no age limit in ohio I guess for a bus you can run as long as it passes inspection each year.. and here the inspector is physically hands-on for mechanicals so if its goingto school every day it runs good.. they wont fail a bus due to rust till it has actual holes in it..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #574
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,199
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Sounds about right.
My RYO bus from KY stayed in service for like 22 years!
Did you see the couple of NICE mid length RE's that just sold on PS in Aurora, CO?
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:55 AM   #575
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 2,606
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
I wish I had a way to tow a bus. Find a parts bus that doesn't run for storage lockers and whatever else. One with AC. Then scrap the rest. If I had property, use is as a storage shed or even something stupid like a green house or chicken coop.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #576
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 9,240
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the exporters tow a bus with a bus... ive seen them going down the freeway one RE hooked to another rolling along...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #577
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,199
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I wish I had a way to tow a bus. Find a parts bus that doesn't run for storage lockers and whatever else. One with AC. Then scrap the rest. If I had property, use is as a storage shed or even something stupid like a green house or chicken coop.
^ I wish I could buy busted up FL, GA, SC, LA buses and harvest transmissions, engines, etc
We're listing our house at the end of the year and will have property next year!
Gonna get a tractor and a forklift, too!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #578
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 2,606
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the exporters tow a bus with a bus... ive seen them going down the freeway one RE hooked to another rolling along...

-Christopher
I have few shits to give and have fairly large balls but not that large. With a proper tow bar and a semi local bus maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
^ I wish I could buy busted up FL, GA, SC, LA buses and harvest transmissions, engines, etc
We're listing our house at the end of the year and will have property next year!
Gonna get a tractor and a forklift, too!
Then let me get on the list now; storage boxes (tho by then maybe not), MD3060, the rear end to go with said MD3060, front "glove box" for over the driver, AC, 32" emergency door (if there is such a thing), WC door (if there isn't).

I'm sure I'll come up with more.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #579
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 9,240
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
theres a LOT of harvestable A/C in the junk yards.. esp in short busses.. the rear units out of van cutaways are almost always there...

if I thought I could make any coin by grabbing them and selling the parts Id do it.. esp for defunct companies like Carrier.. theres a ton of busses with Carrier units and they no longer manufacture Bus units.. a LOT of shuttle style busses have carrier A/C, and it wasnt very reliable..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #580
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 2,606
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
theres a LOT of harvestable A/C in the junk yards.. esp in short busses.. the rear units out of van cutaways are almost always there...

if I thought I could make any coin by grabbing them and selling the parts Id do it.. esp for defunct companies like Carrier.. theres a ton of busses with Carrier units and they no longer manufacture Bus units.. a LOT of shuttle style busses have carrier A/C, and it wasnt very reliable..
-Christopher
Of all the buses in the junkyard near me only 2 had AC. One was a rear Carrier unit. 1) Didn't know they were defunked 2) didn't know they were garbage. Buses up here in the Great White North don't have AC. The newer ones do but almost none of the old ones do including the ones still on the road.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.