Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #581
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8,569
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
here in ohio most of the full-size busses are without, all of the handicap busses do.. as well as any summer school runner full-size busses..

theres a ton of shuttle busses around this city though.. from Limo companies to airports, old folks homes, day care centers etc.. many of them have Carrier A/C, the good ones have Trans/AIR ..

https://busride.com/carrier-selling-...s-ac-business/

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #582
Bus Crazy
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 2,464
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
here in ohio most of the full-size busses are without, all of the handicap busses do.. as well as any summer school runner full-size busses..

theres a ton of shuttle busses around this city though.. from Limo companies to airports, old folks homes, day care centers etc.. many of them have Carrier A/C, the good ones have Trans/AIR ..

https://busride.com/carrier-selling-...s-ac-business/

-Christopher
There were quite a few shuttle buses.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #583
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8,569
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
A/C equipment in a shuttle bus is pretty much the same as in a school bus.. just different compressor bracketry to mount to a school bus engine instead of a van engine..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #584
Bus Crazy
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 2,464
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
A/C equipment in a shuttle bus is pretty much the same as in a school bus.. just different compressor bracketry to mount to a school bus engine instead of a van engine..
-Christopher
I'd likely have to change all of that anyway. There wasn't a single RE in the bunch. Much disappoint there was.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #585
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: MD near DC
Posts: 919
[reply to BrewerBob's ID of a scrapyard] Well, I can certainly find my way to the Conowingo Dam. I'll give it a look-see. Thanks!
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #586
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8,569
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I'd likely have to change all of that anyway. There wasn't a single RE in the bunch. Much disappoint there was.
I know there are forum members who have yanked their dual A/C units off of the 8.3's, someone .. cowlitz perhaps said there is some reason that mounting 2 compressors on an 8.3 is hard on the front cover of the engine.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #587
Bus Crazy
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 2,464
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
[reply to BrewerBob's ID of a scrapyard] Well, I can certainly find my way to the Conowingo Dam. I'll give it a look-see. Thanks!
Did you get a bus yet? If not, quit slacking. If so, what did you get? The scrap yard doesn't have an online inventory but they had Blue Birds, Thomas, and International.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I know there are forum members who have yanked their dual A/C units off of the 8.3's, someone .. cowlitz perhaps said there is some reason that mounting 2 compressors on an 8.3 is hard on the front cover of the engine.
-Christopher
Are you talking about engine driven ACs? LincolnEcho (or whatever) has my bus with AC and the MD3060 tranny. So, I know there are OEM parts out there for the 8.3L that are on my want list.

Or were you talking dual alternators? Millicent was looking to do dual alts.

I don't remember any dual ACs off an engine unless that's another name for split system. Then again, relying on my memory is never a good idea.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #588
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8,569
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the big busses all have dual A/C if they have it at all... you cant get much more than 65k BTU out of a single standard compressor.. so the 8.3's ive seen (on big busses) had dual compressors.. its not to say that you couldnt mod the brwcketry to run one A/C compressor and one extra alternator..

not an 8.3 but the compressor mount on my DT-360 looks just like an alternator mount with a couple extra pieces added to make it an A/C.. there were a ton of different configurations available..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #589
Bus Crazy
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 2,464
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the big buses all have dual A/C if they have it at all... you cant get much more than 65k BTU out of a single standard compressor.. so the 8.3's I've seen (on big buses) had dual compressors.. its not to say that you couldn't mod the bracketry to run one A/C compressor and one extra alternator..

-Christopher
Ah, gotcha. I don't have AC but assumed they were the same as cars (single compressor). Didn't know they ran two compressors. The next question is do I need dual compressors? I'm not a school bus with 37 drafty windows with 137 snot lickers on it. I have (not yet) 5 RV windows that are double-paned, 37 storage cabinets, and 2 non snot lickers. I also have a good deal more and better insulation.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #590
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8,569
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
not likely you need 2.. in fact the only purpose of the engine system is for driving... so if it were mine id do like i did on my carpenter which is Dashboard A/C.. thaty blows on me.. so i stay nice N cool... I also have a small rear unit too but the main idea was to keep me cool since 99% of the time in that bus its just me driving it.. (the red one I have peoiple with me many times).. so for you front A/C is the idea..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.