Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #651
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 9,240
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im all for screen doors!! my redbyrd doesnt have that aux door.. my DEV has one near the front. and its great for parking.. swing that door open and lots of air comes in and light.. making it an RV door with a screen would be perfect!!!. run your fantastic fan all night and the screen door open you could probably camp pretty comfortably on all but the hottest humid nights
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:22 AM   #652
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
Posts: 417
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
I love my RV door with screen door.. I watched ebay and CL for almost a year before I found a scratch and dent for $150 in the size I needed.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #653
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,199
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
I love my RV door with screen door.. I watched ebay and CL for almost a year before I found a scratch and dent for $150 in the size I needed.
I don't have a year, but I'll be watching for a deal here soon!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #654
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 2,606
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
I need to be watching CL as well as the Public Surplus site. Find a captain's chair, genny, AC, etc. I need to go look about changing the the Public Surplus notifications. I still get the bus ones.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #655
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,199
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Got our refund from Midwest for the door seal.
If any of you folks out there have a high headroom AmTran/IC with a WC door I'd suggest you cherish the seal while it lasts, as there is no supply of replacements. Its an obsolete part, and would be impossible to remake yourself. This makes me realize how hard it is to get parts for a bus that's only 15 or 20 years old.

That said, I'm glad that it worked out this way. I'll be starting the door delete next weekend. After the Fantastic vent install on my van, I'm now wanting more RV parts!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #656
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 9,240
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think you'll be happy with the door delete.. or even make it an RV door or such.. I dealt wit hthis very thing all the time building hotrods.. there were times a project would get stalled for weeks or months looking for or making or having parts made..

Kubla and I had pizza last night were just talking about the very subject of parts.. in his case trying to find parts to put a 643 into his 444E bus.. the 444E itself has been out of production since late 2003.. luckily theres a huge following of ford people so we can buy injectors, glowplugs, gaskets, seals, etc for them.. however try and find anything that was BUS-specific and it gets tough... door seals even worse because that was Body-manufacturer specific.. I need to fix the one on the DEV wheelchair door.. I have a feeling im going to be Making it.. since carpenter has been gone for 15 years..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #657
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,199
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Yeah, we can have a custom sized RV door made to any size for not much more than that one seal cost.
A 70"x48" rv door with screen would be amazing!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #658
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 221
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I think you'll be happy with the door delete.. or even make it an RV door or such.. I dealt wit hthis very thing all the time building hotrods.. there were times a project would get stalled for weeks or months looking for or making or having parts made..

Kubla and I had pizza last night were just talking about the very subject of parts.. in his case trying to find parts to put a 643 into his 444E bus.. the 444E itself has been out of production since late 2003.. luckily theres a huge following of ford people so we can buy injectors, glowplugs, gaskets, seals, etc for them.. however try and find anything that was BUS-specific and it gets tough... door seals even worse because that was Body-manufacturer specific.. I need to fix the one on the DEV wheelchair door.. I have a feeling im going to be Making it.. since carpenter has been gone for 15 years..
-Christopher
I'm not sure what your rubber moldings look like but McMaster Carr has a good selection of rubber moldings you may be able to find something that would work for your door there.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #659
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 221
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
https://www.mcmaster.com/#trim-seals/=19f8acp

This should take you right to the place I would start looking. They have lots of styles and sizes. I think the prices are a little high but I can find a lot of stuff here that is hard to source.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #660
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 9,240
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
https://www.mcmaster.com/#trim-seals/=19f8acp

This should take you right to the place I would start looking. They have lots of styles and sizes. I think the prices are a little high but I can find a lot of stuff here that is hard to source.

great stuff, !! the bulb type seal is what I have used in the past for custom... i have also used universal trunk-lid seals in hot rod projects and they are great because they are designed to smash pretty flat and fill voids where a door or lid doesnt close perfectly even. my front bus door on the redbyrd uses a double bulb style seal.. I know I have some of that in a bix around here somewhere..

ECCB seal was totally specialized which made it a PITA! not much standard srtuff was going to go in there without a lot of work... by that time he may as well put an RV door in there and have a better quality!

like alot of us here say.. if it breaks.. time to UPGRADE!.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.