Old 10-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #141
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
twigg - what engine do you have? im a Navistar 444E, joe is the ford version 7.3

the 2 use completely different diagnostic systems.. my navistar I use a VMSpc on the J1708 (im also building my own that will give me more PID's).. Joe is using Torque Pro as his is OBD-II
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #142
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
twigg - what engine do you have? im a Navistar 444E, joe is the ford version 7.3

the 2 use completely different diagnostic systems.. my navistar I use a VMSpc on the J1708 (im also building my own that will give me more PID's).. Joe is using Torque Pro as his is OBD-II
-Christopher
I don't have an engine yet.

Unless something special crops up though, I am only looking at buses with DT466, DT530 or Cummins 8.3. ... and any transmission is fine except AT545.

When we do begin to drive one, it will do highway miles. I'm okay driving 60 mph, but I don't want it limited.

I'm looking at those engines because we want a bus of around 35 to 38 foot.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #143
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I don't have an engine yet.

Unless something special crops up though, I am only looking at buses with DT466, DT530 or Cummins 8.3. ... and any transmission is fine except AT545.

When we do begin to drive one, it will do highway miles. I'm okay driving 60 mph, but I don't want it limited.

I'm looking at those engines because we want a bus of around 35 to 38 foot.
the DT's will use servicemaxx J1708 software by navistar and require a Ndexiq USBlink 2 or a chinese knock-off of it.. Cummins uses a differemnt software for their electronic engines.. im not sure as ive only mnechanical familiarity with cummins..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #144
Bus Nut

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Every time when I am in this part of the country I am lucky. Probably the people.
This morning i drove 58 thru the mountains JEB highway or such and a car came towards me flashing its lights. I slowed down and looked at him in the miror and there it was, black ice. The rear end gave out . I was doing 25 at the time and got thru it ok mainly because of the lower speed and that because the people in the other gave me the heads up.

alternator light still on voltage stays at 14.3Volt.
Worked for a couple of hours.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #145
Bus Nut

Made it back home with the alternator light on
Nice to camp for a while then you can see the de-efficiencies. The webasto has two power levels 5Kw and 2.5 KW of heat.
The heater cores do not dissipate all of it to the interior and as a result the webasto switches down and then starts back up. The starting cycle takes a lot of power because of the glow plug. I added a computer fan to the front heater core to reduce electric consumption by the dash fan. Clearly this is not optimized yet.
The engine block stores a lot of heat. I added a switch and wire to run the webasto coolant pump by itself but did not modify the webasto to make it work.

I made one double pane lexan window in the back door and that window feels a lot warmer then the single pane glass windows. I would like to make a piano hinge along the gutter above the side windows and use a lexan sheet and weather strips that hangs over the side as a storm window. In the summer they hinge open and cab become an awning by draping a towel over them.

Hooked up the EGT gauge and tach. The tach reads 2 the rpm so 4K rpm is actual 2000. The speedo and mileage is 5.6% of. I actually confirmed that on Interstate 81 with the mile markers ...100 miles is actually 105.6 miles similar for the speed. With these tires and 4.10 rears is runs 60MPH and 2000 rpm. Wonder if i can get away with 3.55.

School Bus Conversion Resources - joeblack5's Album: Elf Bus E350 Corbeil II - Picture

The EGT is pretty neat. At flat roads around 800K and it climbs to 1250 if try to race up a hill. Need to hook up the illumination and redo the red paint on the needle.

Later J
Old 11-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #146
Bus Nut

I did this cluster swap 4 years ago in my 4x4 diesel van. For whatever reason Elfie reads twice the rpm so I decided to dig in a little deeper.
With some E serie powerstrokes or F series factory diesel clusters the tach reads twice the actual RPM.
The potentiometer on the back side of the cluster does not bring the tach in the range
Opened up the cluster and found an air core tach chip CS8190. You can google it for the data sheet and schematic. With the schematic I was able to find what component to change to make it work correctly.
I connected an 220 K ohm resistor in the circuit board parallel to the R19 smd resistor. This is part of the Rt resistor in the cs8190 schematic. The r19 is 182 kohm. the minimum value for rt is 100k ohm. The 220 k in parallel brings it close to the minimum of 100Kohm. Good enough,... now you can adjust the pot meter so that the tach reads correct.

School Bus Conversion Resources - joeblack5's Album: Elf Bus E350 Corbeil II - Picture

Later J