Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 11:44 PM   #1

Fair purchase price question.

Hello community!
As I am reading the forum, I started to think about a Skoolie project. I stumbled around a CL ad for:

2007, GMC G3500 with 6.0 Vortec gas engine and 58k miles on it.

What would you consider a great or a fair price tag for the above? Thank you!

Vic

betgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by betgain View Post
Hello community!
As I am reading the forum, I started to think about a Skoolie project. I stumbled around a CL ad for:

2007, GMC G3500 with 6.0 Vortec gas engine and 58k miles on it.

What would you consider a great or a fair price tag for the above? Thank you!

Vic
If its in REAL nice shape, it probably 6-10 grand. Maybe more, the GAS 6.0 is about the best engine you can get in a newer short bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If its in REAL nice shape, it probably 6-10 grand. Maybe more, the GAS 6.0 is about the best engine you can get in a newer short bus.
Thank you EastCoastCB! I read many threads, where I saw your input. Since I do have an idea about space needed, 5 to 6 window short school bus, I am more concerned about finding a "right" bus.
From what I am reading, stay pre 2007 diesel (that wasn't a long search to convince me of superiority of diesel over gas), and no rust of course.

Am I correct that diesel in the shorter buses are harder to find? How often do they pop for sale? I don't have much luck finding an active listing...
Old 06-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by betgain View Post
Thank you EastCoastCB! I read many threads, where I saw your input. Since I do have an idea about space needed, 5 to 6 window short school bus, I am more concerned about finding a "right" bus.
From what I am reading, stay pre 2007 diesel (that wasn't a long search to convince me of superiority of diesel over gas), and no rust of course.

Am I correct that diesel in the shorter buses are harder to find? How often do they pop for sale? I don't have much luck finding an active listing...
Short buses aren't exported as much, so more stay in the states. But schools don't typically use as many shorties.
I'd stay away from 2004 and up diesel engines and I won't buy ANYTHING made after about 2008 no matter what it is or has under the hood.
The more catalytic converters and 0w oil they use the worse it gets.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #5

What are the differences in built or a conversion potential for a full time RVing in between cutaway:
- shuttle (#2245 2001 Ford Goshen 5.4L V8 Gasoline Auto Hydraulic Brakes 4 Row Air Conditioning Seat Belts NON-CDL@ BGA School Buses, Inc. Hudson, FL)
- school bus (#1859 2005 Ford Corbeil E450 6.0L Diesel Auto 5 row Tinted Windows Florida Radio used buses@ BGA School Buses, Inc. Hudson, FL)

Reading Roach711 build and many, many threads here, I think I am leaning toward 5 to 6 windows cutaway van conversion with 7.3L diesel so far.