Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevy G30
Engine: 5.7L
Family Short Bus project

My son Julian has always wanted a bus to turn into a camper and we just bought a bus at auction because he's 16 and a half and I really want to do this project together with him while he still lives at home. I love tackling big projects and after researching skoolie builds here and on Instagram, I'm totally hooked and am super excited about our project. After looking for a while on surplus auction sites, we bought a 1990 Chevy G30 short bus. It has a V8 engine and about 120,000 miles. My husband, brother in law, and son drove 21/2 hours south to pick up the bus and drove it home without incident.

We started demo today, my sons Julian and Avery, as well as two of their friends and I worked for 3 and a half hours this afternoon and got a ton done!

All the seats are out, the side panels screws are all out, and the rubber on the floor is getting there. I'm thrilled.

BagelBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevy G30
Engine: 5.7L
Side Panel Tricky Bit

Maybe it's just because it was the end of the day and I was tired, but I'm not sure about the side panels- it looks almost like the metal goes under the windows or down into a channel- has anyone encountered this? We had little luck loosening it.

Also wondering about the heater that's in the back corner and the ceiling mounted AC unit- need to research here to see if people generally keep them or remove them.

Also need to get serious about researching workflow next steps for when we finish demo... lots to read here!
BagelBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
The side panels do go under the windows. It's really not hard to take the windows out. It's usually only three screws per side. The heater can be removed by shortening and looping the hose back together close into the engine.
The next step is usually using rust converter on the floor followed by a primer and pait. Then you can use insulation on all surfaces, replace the plywood floor, walls and ceiling. If you plan on removing windows permanently I would do that first and reskin the bus with sheet metal before insulation.

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Those side panels are hard to remove even after removing the windows, as easy as that sounds, I understand they have a tendency to leak after reinstall and that metal isn't there. Usually the plan is to use a cutting wheel and cut it off a couple inches below the windows and be ready to get insulation up under that short lip.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:33 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Those side panels are hard to remove even after removing the windows, as easy as that sounds, I understand they have a tendency to leak after reinstall and that metal isn't there. Usually the plan is to use a cutting wheel and cut it off a couple inches below the windows and be ready to get insulation up under that short lip.
That's not correct. It's fairly easy after the windows are out. After removing them if you fold that edge back you will find one or two more screws to remove and then you can get the rest of the wall off. Very rarely some will be welded in place but considering we have the same vehicle just one year difference I'm pretty sure it's the same as mine.
Everything o1marc says is hearsay. He does a lot of talking and reading but hasn't quite picked up his first bus.

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:46 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
He does a lot of talking and reading but hasn't quite picked up his first bus.
Agreed. I cringe when I see the newbies taking his word as gospel, just because they don't know any better, and don't realize that there are tons of qualified members here who actually have first-hand experience about the subjects under discussion.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:06 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Agreed. I cringe when I see the newbies taking his word as gospel, just because they don't know any better, and don't realize that there are tons of qualified members here who actually have first-hand experience about the subjects under discussion.
I'm sorry, I was relaying info I got from some of the tons of qualified members who had first hand experience with it.
As many say here, YMMV, not every bus is the same.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:11 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
That's not correct. It's fairly easy after the windows are out. After removing them if you fold that edge back you will find one or two more screws to remove and then you can get the rest of the wall off. Very rarely some will be welded in place but considering we have the same vehicle just one year difference I'm pretty sure it's the same as mine.
Everything o1marc says is hearsay. He does a lot of talking and reading but hasn't quite picked up his first bus.
Everything on the internet is hearsay, including what you add.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
IMO keep the heaters. Kentucky does get cold in the winter. I cringe every time I see people take the heaters out in order to save space. So not worth freezing just to save a couple square feet. Maybe relocate it or build around it? Unfortunately everybody has their own opinion so you have to do your own research for the truth... Or the truth as you perceive it.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:17 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
IMO keep the heaters. Kentucky does get cold in the winter. I cringe every time I see people take the heaters out in order to save space. So not worth freezing just to save a couple square feet. Maybe relocate it or build around it? Unfortunately everybody has their own opinion so you have to do your own research for the truth... Or the truth as you perceive it.
IF not needed in the rear, one could simplify their build by shortening the hoses and putting all that heat up front.
I like the thought of putting one in the restroom so even on long highway trips there's always a warm loo in case nature calls.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I'm keeping my heaters! But I will be substantially reducing the length of the heater hoses, and mounting it much farther forward. My bus has a heater for defrost, a heater under the driver's seat, and a big ole' bastard that was halfway back in the bus. THe big ole' bastard is the one I'm shortening, the others stay just like they were!
Old 06-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: G30
Engine: 6.2L diesel
Hello fellow Kentuckians.

I took my heater out. If I had that A/C, and it worked, I would have left it in. Mine did not have an A/C unit.

My bus is mostly a summer adventure primitive camper (aka metal tent) .

Good luck on the rebuild
cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote