Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

A new bus has popped up. Thoughts.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ssenger_banner

A little more about the bookstore. I've figured out the weight of shelves and books will average no more than 3500 pounds. And we most likely will put no more than 4,000 miles a year on it. It's also important that it has a functioning wheelchair lift.

BookBusVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
heres the biggest issue I have with shuttles.. they spend a ton of time Idling and running slo-mo.. I have no idea what this one just posted was truly used for.. but what are those 90k miles in 22 years?

thise little airport and hotel shuttles and nursing home shuttles sit and run a lot. and dont drive much... Diesel engines dont mind idling if the temp stays warm.. gasoline engines really dont like to idle for long periods at all..

the ford V10 is a great engine. . but how long did that thing sit running with its Air-conditioner on waiting for people to come out of wherever.. only to get driven up to 45 MPH for a couple minutes till it stopped and idled more..

the other thing with shuttles is leaks.. they are fibgerglass they really dont rust but many of them start to de-laminate and leak.. then there is mold inside the corrugated part between fiberglass layers..

star-craft was one of the worst.. eldorado shuttles are better..

I woulkd want to see this bus in person so you could walk in and see if there is evidence of water leaks or if its strting to get that mold smell.. ive ridden more than one that was nasty inside..

you can definitely find good ones.. but these are busses id inspect in person..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3L
Another thing to look for when carrying loads of books is the GVWR of the unit. This one is on a E450 chassis and will have a greater capacity to handle what you put in it. Also better drivability with the contents. All of caddilackids points are very valid.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

All good things to know. It's only 2 hours away so I think I will go and look at it in person.

In terms of shuttles and fiberglass, would you rip out the walls and insulate just like you would for a bus? If there is evidence of mold, can that be remedied if no smell? Any other concerns about fiberglass?

I so appreciate all the feedback.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

I also found these 2 but much further from VA.

1) Pricey but like that it has new tires and brakes. Does say "or OBO" so maybe could get it lower.
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/rvs...905059329.html

I know nothing about International but saw this one too. I think the odometer says 79K.
2)https://asheville.craigslist.org/hvo...924230216.html

Thanks for any insight.