So Ive been busy the last few weeks. My lady and I decided to go to a music festival in Florida, and the bus just HAD to go. I kicked it into high gear and got a lot done:
Found a ton of rust under the drip rail above the doors. I also found a split in the roof seam, likely from when the bottom of the staircase took a shot. Ended up drilling out the rivets, removing the panel and OSPHOing both sides before priming. Repaired the roof split with 3M 2k metal epoxy and sanded it smooth. Treated all the rust along the seams and put fresh seam sealer in. Glued the drip rail back in with seam sealer, and installed bolts to replace the 1/4" rivets.
This is the rust hole above the cab all ground down. I will definitely need to replace some steel here at some point, maybe the whole nose-cap. For now I treated the rust i could get too, smeared some kitty hair in there and sanded it the best i could. I could barely get a putty knife in there, so it looks like crap. Cant find my picture of the repair right now.
Removed the rear interior panel to access the back side of the rear panel in order to bang out the damage to the upper flasher area. Found out where my bus was built, which is pretty cool. I feel pretty good about how the panel came out. Im no body guy, but its good enough for me!
I noticed some rust coming up through the roof paint in some areas and rust starting along the seams of the body. Got out my trusty grinder wheel and took everything down that was questionable, rust treated with OSPHO, primed and installed new seam sealer.
Extracted and retapped all the rusted hardware in the light housings and got new stainless hardware to replace it. Hammered out all the light hoods and repainted them.
Then I finally got some paint on it! Bottom is Rustoleum Professional "smoke gray", primed with rustoleum "rusted metal" primer where the repairs were done, or taken down to bare metal. I used Penetrol to help with roller marks. This is just one coat, I have to go back and fix the thin spots. Top is Bus-Kote. Bare metal and rust repair were primed with Zinser Bullseye 1-2-3 metal primer. Put on one coat of Hy-Tech Bond-it and 2 coats of bus-kote. I now have a true hatred of blue painters tape.
Pop's gave me a hand since he is the carpenter in the family. Bed is a child twin. Legs on one side, bolted directly to the seat rail.
And then we were off! Put almost 2000 miles on her driving to Florida and back. Here are a few pics from the trip!